Goose Gear

Socks for your daily adventure

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
I have been wearing the REI Merino wool socks for quite some time, I use the Light Hikers for my daily work boot sock. Now before Bob gets on his :soapbox and tells me of the evil of REI, read the rest. It is coming time for me to start replacing socks and get something new into the rotation that is not from REI. What brands are you guys using for your adventures? I like the merino wool, they hold up great, breath, and don't get too funky in a boot, but I am willing to try out some of the synthetics on a good recommendation.

This is what I use daily http://www.rei.com/product/712784/rei-lightweight-merino-wool-hiking-crew-socks but also have some of the heavier weights

I've been using the military issue OD Green and Tan socks. They're manufactured with silver thread. You will never experience athletes foot again, unless of course you live in a swamp. Otherwise I use Merino Smart Wool made by Wigwam. They're not really that smart though, not like my phone, which is even less intelligent than my dog who doesn't wear socks.

I have a HUGE issue with sweaty feet, gave me variety of skin problems since college. However, many years ago I made the switch to wool socks all-day-every-day, and I haven't looked back - 100% problem free since.

My best choice is the Powersox Merino wool low-crew that are sold at places like Big5. The main reason I've jumped on them so heavily is that they were the cheapest way to really stock up. Anyone can afford one or two good pairs of wool socks, but as I said, I got rid of all my cotton socks, so I have probably 20+ pairs of these now. These are still a decent deal, but they used to be 3pr/$15, so not quite as good as they used to be.

They're mostly wool, with enough synthetic fibers to have some good stretch. They've been wearing pretty well, some of my oldest pairs are probably 12 years old (although I have so many that it's a long rotation cycle), and I'm only just lately starting to see some of the oldest socks that need darning at the toes.

That is me Herbie, I have not worn anything but a wool sock for about 3 years. They are more expensive, but they have been far more durable, and last long enough to equal the life span of 2 or 3 pairs of regular socks so the price starts to even out, and that is not even taking into account the added comfort factor

I am slowly converting to Wigwams. Hopefully all of my cotton socks will be gone in a year or so.

When you buy cotton socks, your feet sweat.
When your feet sweat, you switch to sandals.
When you switch to sandals, you go to the tiki bar.
When you go to the tiki bar, you meet your future ex wife.
When you meet your future ex wife, she takes all your money.
When she takes all your money, you end up living in a van down by the river.
Don't buy cotton socks.

Costco has some decent merino wool socks. I tried a 3 pack for about $12 I think. I like them enough I bought two more packs.

I've used wool athletic socks in the past, I dont recall the brand. I still wear cotton in times and places I dont really need the wool, unless I know I'll literally be on my feet all day. Spenco impact insoles also help with being on your feet all day, as do good boots. I'm stuck on the Hathron Smoke Jumpers at this point unless its colder than they are comfortable.

REI Expedition weight, both seasons here. Summer and the two weeks of spring in the middle of January.

"Smart wool" merino wool socks are excellent, but expensive. They offer a wide range of weights and task focused cushioning areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I checked the costco by the house and did not see the merino, will have to check another location. Been looking a bit, has anyone tried anything from minus33?

When you buy cotton socks, your feet sweat.
When your feet sweat, you switch to sandals.
When you switch to sandals, you go to the tiki bar.
When you go to the tiki bar, you meet your future ex wife.
When you meet your future ex wife, she takes all your money.
When she takes all your money, you end up living in a van down by the river.
Don't buy cotton socks.

Great advice, too late for me, save yourselves buy wool socks.

I only wear merino socks too (actually in the process of changing to merino drawers but thats another thread). I have used smartwool but they wear out to fast and wigwam aren't very soft feeling and the elastic seems to break down to fast. Darn Tough socks though are great. They are comfortable and last for a very long time and if they do wear out they have a lifetime replacement which makes it easy to justify the cost. I have hiking/boot socks and ahtletic cut socks to wear with my running and workout shoes. I highly recommend them, I dont buy anything else anymore.

I wear two pair of wool socks every day, I buy oversize boots so they fit... LOL The best wool socks I ever had were from New Zealand, I bought 10 pairs several yeas go and they are all still in pretty good shape. To pairs of wool socks you will never get blisters and your feet will thank you forever. The REI heavy wool socks are just a little less impressive than those New Zealand ones. I found them on the internet.

I own many different sock brands from timberland, cabelas, adidas, smartwool, nike, etc...but honestly the BEST sock I ever wore were from FITS sock company. USA made and my god so comfortable!!!! Only wish they lasted longer, about a year after pruchasing i noticed thinning areas on the back of the heel and ball of the foot. Look em up you wont be dissapointed!!! www.Fitssock.com

At the risk of this turning this thread into another "The Best Off-Road Tire, Ever," I hate to be the one to break this to you all but there is another contender that threatens to rock your notions on how good your socks are. Considering that I've tried nearly every fiber and brand that has been mentioned in the previous posts, I'm pretty confident of my claim. Anticipating the inevitable wisecrack - who would know better than I since my first socks "were made from Stegosaurus hides harvested by Haggis in his quest for clanhold protein."

Altera Alpaca Socks - http://alteraalpaca.com/

Alpaca fibers have a unique hollow core, which aids in their ability to regulate temperature in both cold and hot environments, they are water resistant which helps maintain their warmth value when wet and are lighter and stronger than merino wool. In fact, Alpaca fibers are up to 30% warmer—or cooler—than wool, and have a greater moisture wicking ability and more natural loft. Harvested from a network of small domestic Alpaca herds in the Northern Rocky Mountains near Bozeman, MT and processed and woven near Springfield, KY these are American made. And it doesn’t stop there.

Alpaca fibers are naturally smoother than wool so they're less "itchy." They don't have lanolin in their fiber and are therefore hypoallergenic and naturally antimicrobial. Naturally fire resistant they are popular among US Forces and are available with an NSN. They also have other components such as silver to prevent bacterial growth and lycra for stretch.

They even advertise these as the "5-day trail sock." Seriously. Well, they haven't met my sweaty, stinky feet, so naturally I had to try these out. I took them on a trip in April to Oregon and tried them out; have been wearing them to work in the shop every day; been on a couple of trips like the steamy Mid Atlantic Overland Festival and I can report to you that they didn't smell and they held their loft. They were damn near as comfortable on the fifth day as the first day I put them on and the wife or fellow campers didn't complain of rotting fish. Especially after this last summer at the shop where the heat and humidity this year has been outrageous, the one part of my anatomy that's dry and comfortable all day long are my feet. I prefer the Conqueror and Prevail models in the crew length. You be the judge.

One of our forum members some of you have met, Mark Smith of Smith Product Group, who mostly provides gear to high speed, low drag USG customers, sells these items. Give him a holler and tell him you're an American Adventurist member and he'll probably cut you a good deal. You won't find these in a 10-pack at WalMart. If you can find them elsewhere, they aren't cheap, but they'll last longer than regular socks and they have a lifetime guarantee for workmanship. What you would expect from American craftsmen.

CONQUER-TACTICAL.png

At the risk of this turning this thread into another "The Best Off-Road Tire, Ever," I hate to be the one to break this to you all but there is another contender that threatens to rock your notions on how good your socks are. Considering that I've tried nearly every fiber and brand that has been mentioned in the previous posts, I'm pretty confident of my claim. Anticipating the inevitable wisecrack - who would know better than I since my first socks "were made from Stegosaurus hides harvested by Haggis in his quest for clanhold protein."

Altera Alpaca Socks - http://alteraalpaca.com/

Alpaca fibers have a unique hollow core, which aids in their ability to regulate temperature in both cold and hot environments, they are water resistant which helps maintain their warmth value when wet and are lighter and stronger than merino wool. In fact, Alpaca fibers are up to 30% warmer—or cooler—than wool, and have a greater moisture wicking ability and more natural loft. Harvested from a network of small domestic Alpaca herds in the Northern Rocky Mountains near Bozeman, MT and processed and woven near Springfield, KY these are American made. And it doesn’t stop there.

Alpaca fibers are naturally smoother than wool so they're less "itchy." They don't have lanolin in their fiber and are therefore hypoallergenic and naturally antimicrobial. Naturally fire resistant they are popular among US Forces and are available with an NSN. They also have other components such as silver to prevent bacterial growth and lycra for stretch.

They even advertise these as the "5-day trail sock." Seriously. Well, they haven't met my sweaty, stinky feet, so naturally I had to try these out. I took them on a trip in April to Oregon and tried them out; have been wearing them to work in the shop every day; been on a couple of trips like the steamy Mid Atlantic Overland Festival and I can report to you that they didn't smell and they held their loft. They were damn near as comfortable on the fifth day as the first day I put them on and the wife or fellow campers didn't complain of rotting fish. Especially after this last summer at the shop where the heat and humidity this year has been outrageous, the one part of my anatomy that's dry and comfortable all day long are my feet. I prefer the Conqueror and Prevail models in the crew length. You be the judge.

One of our forum members some of you have met, Mark Smith of Smith Product Group, who mostly provides gear to high speed, low drag USG customers, sells these items. Give him a holler and tell him you're an American Adventurist member and he'll probably cut you a good deal. You won't find these in a 10-pack at WalMart. If you can find them elsewhere, they aren't cheap, but they'll last longer than regular socks and they have a lifetime guarantee for workmanship. What you would expect from American craftsmen.

CONQUER-TACTICAL.png

You sold me, where can I get the Stegosaurus socks

AT Overland Equipment
Back
Top Bottom