Reverse light wiring question

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
I wired in a pair of 6 watt LED lights mounted on my bed cage for extra reverse lumens. I plan to add a second circuit so I can tilt them to serve as area lights when out but for now they are just hard wired into my reverse circuit. Since my trailer connector is smashed already I just wired the lights into the lead for the trailer lights connector.

My question is: will this cause a problem? Since the amperage draw is less than a pair of reverse lights on a trailer I assume this will not. Also, I would assume that the factory harness is fused to protect against a short. That is 2 assumptions and we all know what happens when we assume...

This will not be a long term item, I plan on installing a relay later so I can switch the lights on independently of the reverse circuit.

It sounds like you're ok. BUT, I would add in a 3-5 amp fuse right where you connect into the factory harness, just to protect it in case your higher and likely exposed wire gets a short. This will also ensure that if something does happen, your stock lights will continue to work.

Back
Top Bottom