Portable fridges?

Jerry at Tembo Tusk makes nothing but high quality stuff. Agreed, it's expensive, but if that's what you need to drop it down, it'll fit that bill very well.

I started with my fridge on a half height drawer and even found that too high. It's back mounted to the floor on a simple slide again.

Have the ARB and had to break the price to my wife gently. After using it it all summer she loves it. I have the regular Tembo Tusk slide and it is total quality.

The Tembo Tusk drop down is EPIC, but not cheap. I've seen it in action quite a few times, and it works awesome. I too am working on saving my pennies for a fridge/freezer... Trying to get the wife on board.. I'm not sure I "need" it, as I don't get to go camping nearly as much as some of you... But it's still on my list!
Scott

Keep an eye on www.compactappliance.com, they have the Edgestar's on sale in their scratch and dent section from time to time. My buddy snagged one there for $280 a year or two ago.

Once you get used to the idea of having it, using it at home to keep drinks cold is great. Keeps the kids from opening/closing the door to the kitchen fridge 1000 times a day, which makes momma happy! Not having to chase down ice every day or two while camping, and not having to pull a steak out of a cooler only to find that it has been marinating in cooler water for a day or two is kind of nice as well.

I love compact appliance. I've bought items from them before, and they have been good to me. I'll have to check it out. I never thought to check the scratch and dent section. Thanks Bob!

Keep an eye on www.compactappliance.com, they have the Edgestar's on sale in their scratch and dent section from time to time. My buddy snagged one there for $280 a year or two ago.

Once you get used to the idea of having it, using it at home to keep drinks cold is great. Keeps the kids from opening/closing the door to the kitchen fridge 1000 times a day, which makes momma happy! Not having to chase down ice every day or two while camping, and not having to pull a steak out of a cooler only to find that it has been marinating in cooler water for a day or two is kind of nice as well.

I found a couple from openboxdirect.com, which is a sister site to compactappliance... Both seem like decent deals.. But I'm not sure the larger one is really necessary...

43 quart Edgestar is $305.00

86 quart Edgestar for $339.00...

Hmmmm.. Now how to get the wife on board HAHAHA...

That's a smoking deal IMO. I think the 43qt (what I have) will meet your needs. While it may seem too small, remember that there is no need to leave room for ice. If you use it at home as well, it really will pay for itself in short order. I don't have the math, but just think of how many times a day you open the 'fridge to get something to drink, dumping all of the cold air out, vs opening the lid on a smaller chest 'fridge, all of the cold air stays in it, and the kid can do it herself without dumping the milk out on the kitchen floor! (let me know if that argument works)

The 86qt is tempting just for home patio use. The only way I'd take it camping is if I was taking my enclosed trailer.

That's a smoking deal IMO. I think the 43qt (what I have) will meet your needs. While it may seem too small, remember that there is no need to leave room for ice. If you use it at home as well, it really will pay for itself in short order. I don't have the math, but just think of how many times a day you open the 'fridge to get something to drink, dumping all of the cold air out, vs opening the lid on a smaller chest 'fridge, all of the cold air stays in it, and the kid can do it herself without dumping the milk out on the kitchen floor! (let me know if that argument works)

The 86qt is tempting just for home patio use. The only way I'd take it camping is if I was taking my enclosed trailer.

Well, I guess it's time to convince the wife "we" need one hhaha.. and I think you are right, the 43 qt should be fine.

Poriggity - just you and the better half? The 43qt will probably be fine. I've got the same size in an ARB (45 qt I think). I've stocked the fridge for an entire week for just me, so if you're weekend camping, etc. you really don't need anything larger. Best mod in my truck by far.

Well, I guess it's time to convince the wife "we" need one hhaha.. and I think you are right, the 43 qt should be fine.

I just upgraded from a 40 to an 80 in the truck. It is awesome. Have your wife come talk to Paige at MRV or borrow the 40 for the weekend (assuming I have not sold it by then) and you should easily get permission

Two things. First the fridge is a lot of dough up front, both my my wife and I were apprehensive at first and now agree it's one of the best additions to the vehicle for camping. So much so I've started looking for another for the trailer.

Second, the Tembo Tusk. It is very well built and will out last probably everything else. Being well built makes it very heavy. It is expensive, but for us was the only solution unless I reworked the drawer setup in the back. I'm still glad we made the purchase .

Two things. First the fridge is a lot of dough up front, both my my wife and I were apprehensive at first and now agree it's one of the best additions to the vehicle for camping. So much so I've started looking for another for the trailer.

Second, the Tembo Tusk. It is very well built and will out last probably everything else. Being well built makes it very heavy. It is expensive, but for us was the only solution unless I reworked the drawer setup in the back. I'm still glad we made the purchase .

Indeed. The 12v fridge changed the way we travel and cook in camp. And Tembo Tusk is a family owned business that makes amazing gear here in USA, which is why we chose to partner with them here on AAV ;)

Besides - Nathan is going to need a 2nd fridge to feed his platoon! ;)

Poriggity - just you and the better half? The 43qt will probably be fine. I've got the same size in an ARB (45 qt I think). I've stocked the fridge for an entire week for just me, so if you're weekend camping, etc. you really don't need anything larger. Best mod in my truck by far.

In all honesty, right now it's mostly just me, as she doesn't think she's ready to take our 2 year old daughter out camping just yet, but in the future, it will be me, her, our 2 year old, and eventually, probably a 2nd kiddo.

Bah! Been taking the first grandkid since he was 4 months old (Ocotillo Wells in June...now that was STUPID, but we survived). We'll most likely have that grandson (4.5 now) and his little brother (9 mos) at the MRV. IMO the Rendezvous gatherings are the BEST for bringing kids. Always plenty to do in camp, if you forgot something, there is bound to be someone else there that has it, etc, etc.

My dogs on the other hand are PISSED... if the grandsons come, there is no room for the dogs!

If there ever was a kid friendly location, even toddler friendly, I'd say it was Camp Tahquitz. Running water, bathrooms and a little country store right down the road if you need something. 'Nuff said.

If there ever was a kid friendly location, even toddler friendly, I'd say it was Camp Tahquitz. Running water, bathrooms and a little country store right down the road if you need something. 'Nuff said.

Agreed dave, and I'm working on convincing her that it's all good for her and my daughter to come... we will see what happens.

Dave is spot on. We had all three there last year, 6, 4 & nearly 2 at the time. All of the clan should be there this year as well:D I'll say camping with kids isn't the easiest but there are a great deal more things that rare way more difficult and every time we go it gets easier. The fridge/freezer helps a lot!

Back
Top Bottom