Outhouses!

why does it show up like that?

When you upload a picture, a dialog window will appear showing the thumbnail of the shot with two options; thumbnail or full size image. Click full size to get the full picture. It will open up in your post preview and then automatically be full size when you submit your post. If you foul up you can edit it make sure to use the "more options" option.

I've got the pic on a CD somewhere, we found a three-holer in Death Valley. Nothing like taking a dump with two of your best buddies sitting there with you!

Three holers are very special and rare indeed! If you can find that photo, you just may be the winner!

Cam

When you upload a picture, a dialog window will appear showing the thumbnail of the shot with two options; thumbnail or full size image. Click full size to get the full picture. It will open up in your post preview and then automatically be full size when you submit your post. If you foul up you can edit it make sure to use the "more options" option.

I knew this thread would have some useful info in it somewhere. :D

I like this thread. I like (and take) photos of old buildings, many in various states of disrepair. This fits well. I probably have a few around. I particularly like the buried tire tiedowns on the Baja house. Inventive.

I like this thread. I like (and take) photos of old buildings, many in various states of disrepair. This fits well. I probably have a few around. I particularly like the buried tire tiedowns on the Baja house. Inventive.

Let's see whacha got, Tim!

The Baja outhouse is on an island of sorts in the middle of "Molino Lacy" at Punta Final. It's kind of a dry lake that gets flooded every month during new moon at high tide. I have had one of the most unique experiences of my life here! (No, not in the S-house!). As luck would have it, I was at Punta Final on a beautiful, cool and windless day in the Fall. In the early Fall, the temperature of the Sea of Cortez approaches 90 degrees. High tide hit at about 2:00pm that day and Molino Lacy had about 2 1/2 feet of very warm water in it. The water in the upper reaches of the Sea of Cortez is ultra-saline which means that your body is very buoyant!

So what I did about a half hour after peak high tide, I went out to the middle of the "lake" and laid down in the water, face up and shut my eyes. Your body floats without any effort in this water. Your eyes, mouth and nose stay about an inch and a half out of the water line but your ears are submerged. It's like being in a sensory deprivation chamber or a womb except that you can feel the sun on your skin and see it's brightness through your eyelids. You can also feel the sun moving around you as your body gently turns to the whims of a very light breeze. Then about a half hour in, you start to feel a tug on your body as the receding tide starts to suck the water in the "lake" back out to sea. Slowly your body gains speed as it gets closer to the inlet/outlet of the lake. The maximum speed approaches two miles per hour as you reach the outlet "river"! The spinning of your body approaches 2 RPM! I still didn't open my eyes! And out to sea I went. The End.

OK, back to Outhouses!

Cam

Here is one I made for a garden! I make custom Owl boxes and bird houses! Every garden needs a Out House Bird house!

Attachments

• DSC00667.JPG
    DSC00667.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
Last year, I built a brand new, "historic" outhouse up in the Big Santa Anita Canyon in the San Gabriel Mountains north of Sierra Madre. I say "historic" because it was built to last up to 100 years and it will definitely be historic then! I built the entire outhouse in my backyard using screws, labeled every part with my handy Sharpie and then disassembled it and packed it up for shipment to the Cabin in the Canyon. "Shipment", in this case, means loading all the parts onto donkeys and mules (a pack train) up at the Adams Pack Station and packing the materials in about a mile and a half on a hiking trail to my job site!

This new outhouse replaced a 60 year old one that had rotted out and was about to fall over. I also had to have about 20 bags of concrete packed in to repair the vault and the foundation of the outhouse. Once the foundation was complete, I reassembled the new outhouse "kit" and installed the roofing. I used rough-sawn redwood siding that should last a very long time.

Here are some pictures of the build process and completed outhouse:

IMG_0150.JPG

Here it is being built in my backyard.

IMG_0175.JPG

Redwood siding almost complete.

IMG_0177.JPG

Building out the interior.

IMG_0138.JPG

Getting set to pour the new stronger foundation using the siding from the old outhouse for the forms.

IMG_2568.JPG

The outhouse reassembled at its new home in the Canyon!

IMG_2567.JPG

Outhouse with door open.

IMG_2564.JPG

Interior of finished outhouse. There is a flip up door to the right of the seat for mouse-proof storage.

Hope you enjoyed the intricacies of building an outhouse up in the mountains!

Cam

Nice crapper Cam... built much like a brick s..., er, restroom. In fact this has encouraged me to take a break for a few minutes... I'll be back.

Baja_outhouse_fire.jpg
Here is how I got rid of my old outhouse in Baja in preparation for a new one. 5 gallons of gasoline and an M80.

Back
Top Bottom