Outhouses!

Mojoe Outfitters

Adventurist
Having built a few new outhouses in the Big Santa Anita Canyon, I am always intrigued by those that I come across while on the trail in the outback. Usually, the outhouses that I find on the trail are associated with old miner's cabins. You can tell a lot about the man that built the outhouse and it's location by studying how it was built and the materials used in it's construction. Also, the nicer the design and construction is, the more likely there were women around when it was built!

So I'm wondering if anyone has taken pictures of old outhouses or am I the only one? I know, maybe I need to see a shrink!

OK, I'll go first. I came across this outhouse a month ago while in the White Mountains next to a very rustic log miner's cabin. It was located in an aspen grove at about 9500 feet.

IMG_2390.JPG

Alright, what about this:

IMG_2372.JPG

This one is up in the Big Santa Anita Canyon at Cabin #34. This picture was taken after I fixed a rot problem around the base and painted it.

Cam

The outhouse is up on the Clan hunting grounds where it was transplanted after serving decades of service as the old sawmill service building. Here on our property we, it's hard to believe I know, actually have modern plumbing.

The outhouse is up on the Clan hunting grounds where it was transplanted after serving decades of service as the old sawmill service building. Here on our property we, it's hard to believe I know, actually have modern plumbing.

Whaaat??? :wow

Oakey Dokey, What about this:

009_17.JPG

This is Kris with no grey hair taken 11 years ago at Punta Final in Baja (Southern end of Gonzaga Bay). I call this photo, "The Thinker". I've never been able to figure out what he was thinking about given where his left arm is!

I have personally used this facility a lot over the years. It has a great view!

Cam

I saw a documentary on the History channel about people that "treasure hunt" old outhouses. Ones that have long since been filled in, of course. It was rather interesting, actually. Think about it; if something of value was accidentally dropped down there it pretty much stayed there. Also, back then folks would often dispose of things like bottles or things that they didn't want found by anyone. They excavated an impressive amount of vintage phallic devices.... I'll let that one brew; no pun intended.

I saw a documentary on the History channel about people that "treasure hunt" old outhouses. Ones that have long since been filled in, of course. It was rather interesting, actually. Think about it; if something of value was accidentally dropped down there it pretty much stayed there. Also, back then folks would often dispose of things like bottles or things that they didn't want found by anyone. They excavated an impressive amount of vintage phallic devices.... I'll let that one brew; no pun intended.

I can tell you from first hand experience that when you dig out an outhouse vault after many years of disuse, its just like dirt or old compost. No smell - you would never know what it once was! I never found anything as interesting as a "Vintage Phallic Device" though!

Cam

I can tell you from first hand experience that when you dig out an outhouse vault after many years of disuse, its just like dirt or old compost. No smell - you would never know what it once was!
Only Cam would provide this nugget of information :stir

I can tell you from first hand experience that when you dig out an outhouse vault after many years of disuse, its just like dirt or old compost. No smell - you would never know what it once was! I never found anything as interesting as a "Vintage Phallic Device" though!

Cam
Thats what I read, too. Just rich soil, lol.

I've got the pic on a CD somewhere, we found a three-holer in Death Valley. Nothing like taking a dump with two of your best buddies sitting there with you!

I've got the pic on a CD somewhere, we found a three-holer in Death Valley. Nothing like taking a dump with two of your best buddies sitting there with you!

Wow Bob... as a moderator I don't know if I should censor that, call Santee local law enforcement to alert them of a possible 5150, or just gouge my eyes out.

Back
Top Bottom