Our GFC V2…Or the Mouser gets a Backpack.

Gonna be a nice weekend up here supposedly. High in the 70’s and clear skies. Snow melted off this afternoon as it warms up for the weekend. And we are back to a 40 hour work week after 2 plus years of overtime. I’m going camping.

Got the GFC loaded up. Fleece liners and down bags up in the platform ready to go.

DF0DD768-DC80-464B-A745-6CCA4D95BEEE.jpeg

I put Michelle’s petite bag back so we can pop that tile up for entry and not have to mess up the sleeping arrangement. Tent closes easily with these ultralight bags. Drawers are stocked, day bags hung and sundry stuff stowed. All we need is victuals and drinks and we are ANF backwoods bound Friday evening.

741E8118-3171-40B5-A7D7-80D51E667885.jpeg
7C4AD8BA-2411-44D8-95A3-9B9FB2BFF175.jpeg

But it will probably drop back into the 20’s and snow again. ;)

Got to really use this thing the past weekend. And we are liking it a great deal. So easy to deploy and close. The side panels make grappling gear a breeze even for Michelle and her petite stature.
31EA5BCC-AF33-40AC-83CF-539D3E66EE17.jpeg

F7FFA2D5-D9F5-4EAC-9999-3B5E5AE340E5.jpeg

Once we were set up we decided to switch the sleeping arrangement so our heads were towards the hinge and our feet towards the door. This made for a nice view as we relaxed after a long hike that morning.

ECA88F91-3BEC-41FA-852A-3525CAFC4F7A.jpeg

The small vent windows we zipped down to about a third open and left the rear door in awning mode at its lowest height. No condensation was build up by morning.

We purchased a couple of ultralight roll organizers by Osprey to use to hold personal gear at night. They hang off the carabiner loops for the side doors and worked great holding keys, knives and that other sundry stuff that you don’t want to roll around on when sleeping. There’s enough room above the pillows towards the hinge to stuff gear out if the way as well. Made a good spot for the bear persuader tool.

993219FE-CA02-40B9-8848-8FDBD8186079.jpeg
0DCBF235-D9A5-4938-B8CD-581883A997F8.jpeg

I took along some track nuts and some eyebolts just in case and used one on each side of the roof tracks to make mounting points for our solar lanterns. Adding a carabiner to the lantern loop handles worked great and we hand plenty of light up there. I think I’m going to forgo wiring any hard mounted leds up there as this is so simple and worked very well. Crappy picture but you’ll get the point.

7D62CE5E-08E2-487F-AE1D-9F2127CCD691.jpeg

The old systems from the cap and Maggie days transfer over well, but if we find ourselves weather bound inside we won’t be able to access the gear in the drawers without dropping the tailgate and climbing out. I have to determine how much of a problem that might be before I modify the current drawers with acccess panels or build something different. I want to use it more before overhauling the whole kit and caboodle.

Important thing is we enjoyed using it. The only downfall this weekend, these things are rare around here and you can not stop anywhere (grocery store, gas station, trail head) without someone pestering you to “check it out” or “can you pop the top”. They usually are driving a new Tacoma. This is especially annoying when your relaxing at camp and someone walks into your campsite to “check it out”. Gonna have to load up some rock salt “hipster persuader” loads for the ole double barrel.

52163AB5-6F83-4827-8875-BEFBE4FC42A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the last couple of months I have been thinking on how to mount up some load bars on top the V2 for hauling boats. That is without spending the amount of money GFC wants for their Beef Bars. So I did what I usually do, look around in the garage and imagineer something.

Well I had two pieces of extrusions that were the bases for the tent rack for Fafhrd. Pretty beefy units too. And I had a couple of ARB awning mounts I used on the load bars of our old set up to mount the Eezi Awn awning. A test fit showed that the combo would work very well on the GFC. So I ordered 4 of the ARB brackets, found them for $18.00 apiece, and some of the Gzilla Tnuts for the GFC extrusion slots.

F2726E38-C1B7-41AF-B225-244F13FE334E.jpeg

E234B105-107C-4EFE-B96D-698E739E7118.jpeg
082721FD-E3BE-4598-B2DD-75980EBB7207.jpeg

I choose to mount the brackets so the rounded, smooth face of the bars face forward to help reduce some wind noise. The reinforcement gussets can act as strapping points. Blue Locktite was used on the mounting hardware bolting the brackets to the rails.

21BD17A3-084F-49CC-9D1C-8FBE18804D89.jpeg
82D80632-6E7B-4ABD-84BA-51D49DE16BD6.jpeg
241571B9-80B1-441D-9330-725B826E15A5.jpeg
B9E5C359-6591-4225-883A-2DC749BCCD69.jpeg

Pretty happy with how these turned out. I can mount or unmount the rails in under 10 minutes. I’m leaving the rails long so two canoes or yaks can sit side by side as with the height cradles it will be too damn tall to throw a boat up. They’ll lay flat on the rails with probably some roller saddles.

Also as I have had it sitting in the garage for a long time I stuck the Raven Banner decal on the lid just for fun. It’s a bit small but gave Michelle and I an idea for something a bit more epic.

095E859C-6250-496C-9CCC-E6FF7203AF47.jpeg
0FA7C305-BCA5-48D5-8085-E21872545346.jpeg

This weekend was suppose to be a camping weekend so I loaded up the Mouser Friday night. This time in a different configuration with the removal of the drawer system and utilizing storage boxes instead. I think I like this better.

E0F7D4A3-28EA-41A1-9558-4E486C802B4E.jpeg

1AE82DF8-B9A5-407B-BB83-3D8446A26898.jpeg

But Michelle had to do continuing education for work on Saturday so camping got nixed. Instead since the truck was loaded we drove the whole 200 yards to the camp spot up the creek on our property just for the night. Good night listening to the crick truddle along and the deer snorting their displeasure at our presence here late into the night. Also the fireflies were putting on a pretty good show.

9BFF1D8F-A1F1-4FB5-9C7D-22DA479C8263.jpeg
A606510D-DF09-4349-929D-92811E3B40EE.jpeg

This weekend was suppose to be a camping weekend so I loaded up the Mouser Friday night. This time in a different configuration with the removal of the drawer system and utilizing storage boxes instead. I think I like this better.

View attachment 60351

View attachment 60352

But Michelle had to do continuing education for work on Saturday so camping got nixed. Instead since the truck was loaded we drove the whole 200 yards to the camp spot up the creek on our property just for the night. Good night listening to the crick truddle along and the deer snorting their displeasure at our presence here late into the night. Also the fireflies were putting on a pretty good show.

View attachment 60349View attachment 60350

How cute! You camped in your backyard. :p

View attachment 60351

View attachment 60352

View attachment 60349View attachment 60350
I think I stilI have some Rego bed rail mounts. You can have them for cheap.

The Mouser and Backpack out in the wilds, the PA Wilds that is…

Found a great campsite just south of the Quehanna Wilderness area within the Moshannon State Forest.

EEC70E78-4E50-4A8C-9024-BB7F9E43C639.jpeg

Found a level spot, popped the top, set the back tent door in awning mode, arranged the sleeping gear and in 2 minutes time camp was set.
EC4126EB-DBEE-4B15-A19D-E7E92E0E141F.jpeg

After some lazy time swinging in hammocks we set up the cooking kit and did a seafood boil.

A2583D0C-F453-4271-B0F0-0832AD0DD4F0.jpeg
A95DDB27-9F59-4E12-933F-262ED27101C6.jpeg

While we were cooking, this guy tried to sneak into camp to check out the GFC…

AADC349F-8F38-4243-9437-B1FCD4E4DA21.jpeg

Fortunately, it wandered off on its own and didn’t become a second course.

We pared gear down even more utilizing now just two Rigid boxes. We have decided the Shower/Privy enclosure is going to be replaced with one of those swing out mounted units so there’s more floor space inside the truck when the portable one isn’t needed. Also I’m going to move the water pump up on to a mounting plate on the back of the unit. This way I can utilize a 5 gal jerry can (or 2) or my main tank depending on what is needed for each trip. I’ll make a quick connect coupler to feed out of whatever water storage unit I’m utilizing at the time. This will reduce weight and free up interior space at the same time For times I don’t need a full roll out. I’d like a more eloquent solution to shovel and axe storage but want to keep both tools inside the camper. Right now they just get tucked in amongst the other storage units. I want to keep the contractor cap vibe that the camper has around here. I’ll figure that out as I go.

9CDCA62A-4807-4B76-96A3-736938BA3A4A.jpeg

Michelle really likes being able to sit or stand up to get ready in the morning as do I. So much better than a RTT.

4CC4F7B1-B380-4EFB-832F-8886DD0B89E1.jpeg

The GFC was so nice to use this weekend, very happy with it so far. We need to try it out in inclement weather though to show us new issues to address before we do any big trips next year.

Pulled everything out of the bed, including the water tank. I got the notion to mount electrical service and water pump system up on the back headboard of the camper. Tried a couple of variations and flavors of home built solutions but didn’t like any of them. The realization that the Mouser is a full time traveling rig and not a work rig that has to allow for everyday use is changing my prospective on how I want to approach fixing this thing up. I want it to be uncluttered and with as much floor space available as possible.
EF0CEB73-D526-4807-936B-5844AABB599B.jpeg

EDE4B9C8-92F3-4B4B-BD0F-6B94F8745AAB.jpeg

So after building a wooden panel for the back ( it looked good but was too bulky) and making some triangular aluminum panels (looked half assed) I went ahead and ordered a molle panel designed for the GFC using the factory mounting points. Panel was bought from a guy on the GFC forum under the guise of rough and ready but has since sold his idea to Underland Offroad who are now selling these panels.

95B2D2AF-25C5-4681-B82C-9529B53D49DC.jpeg

BA628367-6991-457A-B695-2CAB7E8F1DA6.jpeg

Driver side is going to get a Blue Seas fuse box and a 3 switch panel that will be mount into a Pelican style box, while the passenger side will have another Pelicanesque box mounted containing the water pump and sundry bits that go with it. Have to go pick up a couple of boxes first though.

Pretty happy with the panel but it wasn’t packed very well. Came a little bent, but the UPS guy waitEd until I opened it up and it straightened it. Went easily so all was good.

Panel done, I was putting tools away and walked past that Wilco tire carrier just sitting in the garage collecting dust. The Rotopax mount accessory caught my eye and got me wondering if I could use it for a better way to store that little fuel can rather than just strapping it in.

AD4D4501-CFA1-49E3-B7DC-C413B74C6E2E.jpeg

The mount was mounted angled due to the way the Wilco main beam is slanted so some re-drilling of holes was required. This allowed to can to mount level which in turn allowed the mount and can to utilize as little space as possible.

6500570E-BDAA-455D-86A2-226B14469802.jpeg

The Wilco mount fit good with the Tacoma’s rail system…I utilized a couple of track nuts and a couple of old bolts out of the fastener bin.

7DC84F40-075E-4BBE-8E84-8CEB71CC5E75.jpeg

Can fits just right and is solid.

CA578AA1-9D35-4AA0-92CC-06CE0D39A3C2.jpeg

Looks nice. Those Molle panels are great. I have one on the cab back wall which I really like.

Are you concerned about gas fumes while you are sleeping? When I slept in my truck, I pulled the gas can out - just to be safe. Something to think about.

Changing the subject - do you have any vacation remaining this year? We're thinking about heading to Colorado end of next month for a week-ish. Since there's not ARV this year...

Are you concerned about gas fumes while you are sleeping? When I slept in my truck, I pulled the gas can out - just to be safe. Something to think about.

Changing the subject - do you have any vacation remaining this year? We're thinking about heading to Colorado end of next month for a week-ish. Since there's not ARV this year...
Not tpo concerned with gas fumes as long as it’s sealed properly. Add to that, the tent portion of the GFC is pretty well sealed from the bottom portion and is well ventilated.
On the vacation front, we’ve been to Oregon for a wander and a week long resort stay down in Orlando so most of my vacation time is used. Got 30 more hours at the end of June and I’ll get 30 more hours at the end of August. The company I work for has a messed up vacation rationing scheme. So I’m out for a long drive type of trip for a couple of more months.

But, I still think we should do the Taco Run we talked about last Fall this fall as our own ARV. Need to get with @Greg, @Gallowbraid @Andy and whoever else might be interested. I’m thinking a group campsite in WV or Virginia someplace. I know a great one on top of a mountain near Spruce Knob.

Not tpo concerned with gas fumes as long as it’s sealed properly. Add to that, the tent portion of the GFC is pretty well sealed from the bottom portion and is well ventilated.
On the vacation front, we’ve been to Oregon for a wander and a week long resort stay down in Orlando so most of my vacation time is used. Got 30 more hours at the end of June and I’ll get 30 more hours at the end of August. The company I work for has a messed up vacation rationing scheme. So I’m out for a long drive type of trip for a couple of more months.

But, I still think we should do the Taco Run we talked about last Fall this fall as our own ARV. Need to get with @Greg, @Gallowbraid @Andy and whoever else might be interested. I’m thinking a group campsite in WV or Virginia someplace. I know a great one on top of a mountain near Spruce Knob.

I'm up for that.

Absolutely!

Just wait until I get back from Colorado. @Gallowbraid might be going with us...

Back
Top Bottom