North by Northeast; A Nova Scotia Adventure

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Here in about 20 hours or so, Michelle and I will be firing up our Tacoma, the Grey Mouser, and will be pounding asphalt in a north by northeast heading. Up through the New England states and across the border in Calais, Maine as we make our way through New Brunswick with Nova Scotia as our destination. This trip is our celebration of our 25th anniversary of wedded bliss, and we have been looking forward to the two weeks alone for a long time now.

This is also why we won't be able to attend this years ARV unfortunately as we will be getting back right before the Rendezvous starts up in earnest.

Goals for this trip...togetherness, scenic views, hikes, paddles, and lots of delicious sea food. The trucks packed, the BaseCamper is locked and loaded and we have just a half day of work to put up with. We'll post up some progress pics as we get cell service and wifi. Now I will stare expectantly at that Toyota and Pine to be on the road already...

IMG_4338.JPG

Late start to the day as Michelle got held up with work. But we headed out around 4:30 this afternoon and just dropped of the Southern Tier Expressway (I-86) for the night. Up bright and early tomorrow as we head to Maine.

Long road day today despite hitting the road well before dawn. All was fine until we hit Memorial Weekend traffic near Boston and progress ground to a halt. Once we hit the Maine border we jumped off 95 onto Maine 1. Yeah, we knew the sea side route would be crowded but we haven't been up here in years and we're curious to see how things changed. Despite the bother of a road day, we were glad we took the detour as we found ourselves on a memory tour. 26 years ago, on our first adventure trip together (we were newly engaged at the time), Michelle took her first stroll on an ocean beach. The spot was Long Sand Beach and today we revisited that memory...
temporary.jpg
temporary.jpg
temporary.jpg

Cruising up through New Brunswick today and damn if I don't know why this place isn't more of a destination. Beautiful scenery and few people here. Also the lunch stops are pretty awesome...

IMG_4362.JPG

I absolutely love that fries/cheese/gravy thing that I can't remember the name of right now, but it's awesomesauce!

Got away from the Down East of Maine and took the route through the interior instead. The forests in Maine are vast, thick and marked with spectacular bogs...
temporary.jpg

Crossed the border at Calais with minimal fuss and worked our way up the New Brunswick coast hitting the secondary roads.

temporary.jpg

temporary.jpg

temporary.jpg

You all need to add New Brunswick to your list of places to explore.

Reached Nova Scotia late yesterday afternoon and holed up for the Night at Amherst Beach Provincial Park. Really nice campground with well secluded sites in a spruce and birch forest with a short walk to the beach. Our accommodations for the night...

IMG_4406.JPG

On the road to Cheticamp in Cape Breton today...

Safe and sound in Cheticamp tonight, not much service so there will be a pause in posting of some pics. The Tease...Awesome day and taking unmarked dirt roads always works out for the best. Tomorrow is a hiking boot day.

Haven't put eyes on a moose yet but did cut fresh tracks from a cow and calf...

temporary.jpg

Spent the day hiking having put over 25 miles on our boots. Beautiful landscapes here and we tired ourselves out trekking across them.

temporary.jpg
temporary.jpg
temporary.jpg

Travel day today as we make for the Ingonish side of the Cabot Trail.

Back
Top Bottom