Locked Gates Ahead

Yes, us too. I used to be a member of ADVrider, gained a lot of motivation from the ride reports but with the recent explosion of outdoor use I have been hesitant to create my own. As we travel I have been disheartened by the lack of suitable locatons that have not been destroyed by overuse. One dirt road out of the Grand Tetons was actually bumper to bumper with cars and RVs....It’s gotten so bad that we are considering writing off the US for travel and sticking to Canada and Mexico for the best remote travel.

<snip> I agree and perhaps a certifying approval could be created to guide those wishing to maintain standards of responsible overlanding?
That's a good thought... I wonder who the certifying body could be and if there are any pecuniary or legal liabilities to that authority? If only we knew somebody specializing in environmental law or someone in a program? :D

The closest I think anyone in the community of interest comes to certification of their members or events is I4WDTA and American Adventurists (AAV) - both with closely aligned relationships Tread Lightly!. The Rendezvous events are sponsored in part by Tread Lightly!. I4WDTA teaches the TREAD principles at all levels of instruction and many of our instructors are already Master Tread Trainers and the curriculum for entry level training requires the Tread Lightly! 101 Online Awareness computer-based training (CBT).

This isn't coordinated with @Dave, nor is it AAV policy, but I posit that American Adventurist should make taking the "Tread Lightly! 101 Online Awareness Course" computer-based training a, (1) strong recommendation for our members and perhaps even a, (2) requirement to attend Rendezvous events. How's that for "putting your money where your mouth is"? [Just like all that online military training... :D]

Thirty to 45 minutes of training is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of time most of us spend on social media. In case you want to learn more about that CBT I mentioned, I encourage you (or any other forum reader) to go to: https://tread-lightly.teachable.com/p/online-awareness-course

American Adventurist (that means all our members) has taken the challenge of leadership by example in this community. The first rule of leadership is to lead from the front... this CBT is the first tool to equip our "Adventurist Leader Brain Housing Groups" with the necessary information to, "talk the talk, and walk the walk".

I've done it and I'm not even among the bright stars of this AAV constellation. :tango

Yes, us too. I used to be a member of ADVrider, gained a lot of motivation from the ride reports but with the recent explosion of outdoor use I have been hesitant to create my own. As we travel I have been disheartened by the lack of suitable locatons that have not been destroyed by overuse. One dirt road out of the Grand Tetons was actually bumper to bumper with cars and RVs....It’s gotten so bad that we are considering writing off the US for travel and sticking to Canada and Mexico for the best remote travel.

Hmm... it depends upon where you go. I've often found my travel to be absent of any traffic. IT's all about route planning or picking the right travel mate with first-hand knowledge of the "lay of the land". That is what this site is about - building the relationships with like-minded individuals around North America.

I’ve mentioned to Dave that I personally would love to get involved with tread training and LNT. Biggest issue with LNT is the $600-$800 entry fee to be a trainer with no output on getting that $ back as far as I can see. I’ve tried for thier scholarship, but although I make under $5k per year and I technically live out of my car lol It’s still not enough. Not sure what they are looking for. I’ll probably spring for it eventually though.

On the certification thing. I imagine it would be similar to LNT and Tread. A goveroring body, willing participants. I could almost see it similar to Rainforest Alliance cert. If participants want to be concidered sustainable they would pursue certification. That being said I don’t see responsible use as a profitable funnel in the current crop of overlanders or their suppliers. So the whole idea may be a nonstarter...i would love to be wrong though.

I’ve mentioned to Dave that I personally would love to get involved with tread training and LNT. Biggest issue with LNT is the $600-$800 entry fee to be a trainer with no output on getting that $ back as far as I can see. I’ve tried for thier scholarship, but although I make under $5k per year and I technically live out of my car lol It’s still not enough. Not sure what they are looking for. I’ll probably spring for it eventually though.

On the certification thing. I imagine it would be similar to LNT and Tread. A governing body, willing participants. I could almost see it similar to Rain Forest Alliance cert. If participants want to be considered sustainable they would pursue certification. That being said I don’t see responsible use as a profitable funnel in the current crop of overlanders or their suppliers. So the whole idea may be a nonstarter...i would love to be wrong though.

I'm sorry... LNT... I have no idea what that is, hence brain lock has occurred and I can't wrap my head around anything else you said. :D

It’s pretty humbling when you see that a piece that you’ve written has been shared by Tread Lightly and Del Albright.

:coffee

66A6E976-3926-48E8-9676-5A495107AEA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Some days I feel like the indian in the commercial from my youth when I travel to some place nice and out of the way and see trash, grafitti, foot, bike and 4wd trails so totally screwed up. I know some of this is the "price we pay" to enjoy our outdoor way of life. Just like the laundry pod thing, being insta-famous has led to even more stupid things.

Posting enticing pics of a remote destination should be done extreme caution, no matter whether they be on public or private land

THIS!!

I have always tried to make this my method as well; especially in areas with historic / archaeological significance. If people REALLY want to see such places, they can do it like I did..... good old fashioned adventure by exploration (and research).

Del Albright...now there is a guy that fights for the OHV community. He was my inspiration to get into the land use fight, sadly I didn't I have the gumption that he has to continue the fight when we can't even get our own niche to help each other out. I resorted to doing what I could as an individual behind the scene's rather than trying to lead from the front.

Last edited:
That's a good thought... I wonder who the certifying body could be and if there are any pecuniary or legal liabilities to that authority? If only we knew somebody specializing in environmental law or someone in a program? :D

The closest I think anyone in the community of interest comes to certification of their members or events is I4WDTA and American Adventurists (AAV) - both with closely aligned relationships Tread Lightly!. The Rendezvous events are sponsored in part by Tread Lightly!. I4WDTA teaches the TREAD principles at all levels of instruction and many of our instructors are already Master Tread Trainers and the curriculum for entry level training requires the Tread Lightly! 101 Online Awareness computer-based training (CBT).

This isn't coordinated with @Dave, nor is it AAV policy, but I posit that American Adventurist should make taking the "Tread Lightly! 101 Online Awareness Course" computer-based training a, (1) strong recommendation for our members and perhaps even a, (2) requirement to attend Rendezvous events. How's that for "putting your money where your mouth is"? [Just like all that online military training... :D]

Thirty to 45 minutes of training is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of time most of us spend on social media. In case you want to learn more about that CBT I mentioned, I encourage you (or any other forum reader) to go to: https://tread-lightly.teachable.com/p/online-awareness-course

American Adventurist (that means all our members) has taken the challenge of leadership by example in this community. The first rule of leadership is to lead from the front... this CBT is the first tool to equip our "Adventurist Leader Brain Housing Groups" with the necessary information to, "talk the talk, and walk the walk".

I've done it and I'm not even among the bright stars of this AAV constellation. :tango

I just enrolled!

EDIT: I am (was?) a charter member of Tread Lightly!

I dunno, seems expensive. :D

Would be cool if members could get a badge under their username for such a feat. Nevermind the burden that it would put on site admin, it’s for the children!

Back
Top Bottom