Let's talk cameras!! I'm shopping ....

Xplore Colorado

Adventurist
Just wondering what everyone is shooting with?

I am considering making the leap to full frame but obviously, cost is always a factor. The Nikon D810 is $3,000, just for the body. Add another $3k for lenses. That's a hefty sum.

Is anyone shooting with the D810?

Last edited:
I own and shoot with a D700 as my primary. It's a wonderful camera, and allows me to make prints large enough for hanging in my house, and certainly more than adequate for posting online and whatnot. I have a small collection of lenses (24-70, 16-35, and a 60mm macro) that have served me very well over the years. That being said, I have never bought a "new" camera. I typically purchase cameras refurbished or used through reputable sellers...it has saved me a lot of money over the years, and I've never had any issues with these cameras. I would think hard about going that route and then throwing the savings into the lenses.

If I were looking right now, I would probably look at the D6XX series, or possibly the D8XX series (although they sure are pricey).

If I were planning to purchase a NEW camera right now, I'd think very hard about the Sony A7R. Although this would mean a change in lenses as well, the more compact size would certainly be helpful, and the files that come out of that thing are truly second to none. Beautiful system.

There are a few places that have the D810 body for under $2300. I'm in the same boat as you, now I have 5 lenses for Nikon so switching brands would be costly. I like the idea of buying a refurb body... going to have to look into that.

My primary camera is also a D700, with a D300s acting as my backup. I too have never purchased new, my lenses are circa 1996 and my camera bodies were both purchased through Craigslist ads. If you are looking for used gear, and are aprehensive of buying off of CL, you should check out KEH.com. I have purchased a lot of my accessories from KEH and highly recommend them.

Wow...didn't even realize there was a D750. I'm going to have to figure out what the differences are between all these fx bodies.

Not meaning to hijack but, what would be a good entry level camera and lenses for around $1000? Thanks

You can get a very nice Nikon D3200 bundle with 2 lenses for about 600

Yea Costco has the Nikon D3300 two lens bundle for $650 after rebate. Not bad for a 24mp camera. Also the D5300, same deal for $1000.... But I think the rebate ends today....

I was just at best buy here in town and they had the D3200 with the two lens' for $499. Is that great or should I keep shopping? I'm also interested in a GoPro silver too.

I am a camera sales guy at the local Best Buy, and I can say that that D3200 is a pretty darn good deal as a starter kit. For $50 more than the camera/lens kit, you get another lens and a bag. Excellent starter kit. I started shooting with a similar D3100 kit. You'll be amazed at the shots you can get with one. The D3300 is a great camera as well, but for the price and what you get, the D3200 isn't that much of a downgrade.

To the OP: I highly recommend the D750 or D610. The entry level price of the D610 is awesome for what you get. Superbly good image quality, rugged construction, great low light capability, and smaller and lighter than the D810. Plus, file storage isn't an issue like it is with the D810. I absolutely adore my D610. In my opinion, it's the perfect enthusiast-level or semi-pro DSLR. Lightish, a tad light on features (lack of certain video features, for instance), awesome IQ, great low light capability, good (albeit small) AF system, all in a tough little package. The D750 is, I think, the best camera out there for the money right now. Excellent sensor, AF system, and construction. It's a good step up over the D610, and is a great camera for video as well as stills. It has all the performance of the D610 with slightly better ISO handling, a much better AF system (same one as the D4S... mostly), a better burst rate, and more, all in a nice compact little package. It's very difficult to find fault with.

One note for the D3xxx and D5xxx - they took the autofocus motor out of the camera and use one in the lens. SO only some Nikon lenses have the AF motor in the lens (limits you later if you start wanting to expand) Not saying I wouldn't suggest getting them, just a warning. PS on the 18-55 kit lens.... it is very nice (just slow) I have a bag full of older prime (f2.8) lenses and started using my kit lens when I bought a D7000. SO much that I forced myself to leave it at home. For a lot of what we do, the kit lenses are perfect: light, nice range and cheap if they get dropped, etc- I know that one, broke one hiking and bought another one used....

"Lens Compatibility at a Glance*** AF-S Lens Required for Autofocus
Compatible Lenses
AF NIKKOR for F3AF not Supported.
AF-S, AF-I: All Functions Supported.
AI-P NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II.
Electronic rangefinder can be used if Maximum Aperture is f/5.6 or Faster.
IX NIKKOR Lenses Cannot be Used.
Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function.
Other AF NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II.
Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus.
Type D PC NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus and some Shooting Modes."

If you trust refurbished, save some money. I cant see the price for the 2 lens kit. But the camera and 18-55 is $399
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr...ed-dslr-cameras/25492B/D3200-Refurbished.html

I think that 2 lens kit sounds like a good deal, and a brick and mortar store warranty nationwide, good for your upcoming trip!

I was just at best buy here in town and they had the D3200 with the two lens' for $499. Is that great or should I keep shopping? I'm also interested in a GoPro silver too.

I switched over to a micro 4/3 system about 2 years ago, and I really like it. It's a more compact format (mirrorless) and there are a decent number of lenses and bodies available for it. When I have the 20mm pancake (crop factor is 2:1, so that's close to normal perspective) the whole thing easily fits in a cargo pocket. I'm running the Olympus OMD EM-5, but there are also some good Panasonic choices:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5

My whole system with 4 lenses, batteries, etc fits in one small hand bag or Pelican case.

Arclight

I'd highly recommend buying used. I'm running an older Nikon D80 with a bought-new Sigma 17-55mm f2.8 lens and I never regretted any of it. I bought my camera used with a stock Nikon lens, battery grip, extra battery, charger, box, manual, cables etc all for about $250 on craigslist. Wait and find the great deals on craigslist. They're out there. The actuations were high but normal for being a used camera. Being my first and only DSLR, I don't see a need for all these newer fancy-pants cameras. It shoots hi-res images, great color from the lens, and does what I want it to do. Look into the D80/D90 or even the D200 as you can get either bodies for a great price and then spend more money on the lens. I'm still rocking my oldy for 5+ years.

dpreview.com has many reviews and comparisons, even on the older units. Check it out and go from there. You don't need the newest fanciest tool to do a simple job. If you do, good luck to you and your wallet. :)

Richard makes a great point. Used or older model cameras are a great way to start out on a budget. If your budget is around $500 right now, here's what I'd do: Save up for a little longer and buy the D7000 kit. Awesome camera, great features, good AF system, robust body, and it comes with the 18-140mm instead of just the 18-55mm for $630 right now.

Back
Top Bottom