Joe's axe

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
I have had this piece of hickory set aside because I thought it would make a great "Boys Axe" for Joe.
DSC_0092.JPG

I had split it on my kindling splitter to get it to this size.
Next up was some work with my Kabar getting the neck down to size. I always start there, because it is the spot I am most likely to screw up. You can see in the second photo I am getting there...
DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG

I like to make my own wedges from left over metal from other projects. Seems it is there and at no cost so why not. I just cut off the excess once the head is seated.
DSC_0096.JPG

So I get it all cut flush and then on to shaping the handle
DSC_0098.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG

And... after more shaping... put an edge on it. This edge is sharp enough to cut paper clean. That is sharp enough for me. That is a Lynskey puck sharpener. Would not go anywhere without it. Super easy. You also see that I used the wood burner to add Joe's initials.
DSC_0102.JPG

And finally threw some linseed oil on the handle for the boy. Later we'll probably displace the linseed with used motor oil, but even Joe needs something good looking at some point. The finished product is nice. The axe is sharp. Joe is a happy kid and a a good kid. What 10 year old would not want a custom Axe?
DSC_0105.JPG

It is my sincere hope that he keeps this forever and someday when I am gone he looks at it and remembers me and that I cared enough to do it.

Back
Top Bottom