Ground tents... An open ended discussion

I've learned that ease of setup and tear down in camp is priceless. Everything I do now is vectored on improving those two processes.
It takes me about 30 minutes to set camp and about 45 to break it. My little (un)helpers slow it down a little, but that's the point. For that reason we don't like to set camp unless we're staying 2 nights. Our perfect worlds is that our camp is the base camp that we go from and come back to.

Two friends with CVT setups on trailers take just as long to set and break. I don't know if they're just slow at it or what.

How long does it take everyone else to set and break camp and with what setup? (Dave maybe this should be a different topic?)

So, I bit the bullet and bought the ARB enclosure due to price, pack-size and ease of setup.

Bonards, I should be camping in the next couple weeks and will post up my impressions. I'm trying to simplify and speed up assembly of my camp. By using this enclosure and sleep, instead of the Kodiak and cots, I expect to shave off a lot of time and hassle off my setup.
I haven't seen any reviews on line. For sure let me how it goes. Thanks

I've learned that ease of setup and tear down in camp is priceless. Everything I do now is vectored on improving those two processes.
Camping with my family of 4 plus in a small fj cruiser takes me forever to set up and tear down.

It takes me about an hour to set up our camp for two. Our camp consists of a Kodiak 10X10 with Slumberjack cots and bags. And our Chuck box kitchen set up. Everything stowed and hauled in our 6X4, 48 cu. ft. trailer. Breaking camp takes a little longer - maybe 1.5 hours including clean up.

IMG_2301-L.jpg

I have used an early light 2p marmot tent for ten years now. It's 2 rods 4 buckles and 6 stakes. Quick to set up. It's cozy with 2 people but not uncomfortable. I also use my truck bed on occasion if warm enough. I deploy the truck bedz air matress but that means the back stays open and the high altitude gets chilly

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I bought this last north face year and have use it a few times but never got around to writing a review. I used it at the wet Appalachian rendezvous for five nights and stayed very dry. The quality is very good. The price a a good bit higher than a comparably sized Coleman but there it a real difference in quality. The straps and zippers are heavier. The fit and finish are better than Coleman. When it is staked and guied out properly it really works well on rainy weather. I camped once this winter and got very cold. I think only because it's so large

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    723.5 KB · Views: 72
I have a Mountain Hardware Drifter 2 which weighs in at 3.5 lbs and is big enough for me and Bayleaf. Being that I'm the size of 1.5 people and she makes up the rest. The main thing besides weight for backpacking was total inside length. The Drifter is something like 93" and with me being 81" tall, it's a perfect fit with a little length to spare. I've only used it a few times, mainly because I started sleeping in the back of the truck then the RTT and now the FWC Hawk, but by and by, it's definitely a purchase I never regretted.
image.jpeg

Cabela's is selling this monster for something like $1,500. But as you can see, you could fill it with an extended family...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I haven't seen any reviews on line. For sure let me how it goes. Thanks

Spent this past weekend breaking in the ARB enclosure. I love it! First, it packs down fairly small in its own included stuff sack. No poles to deal with. Second, I usually set up the awning right away once were stopped for camp. Awning setup is a breeze and takes less than a minute staked. So, with the awning up, I could simply enjoy the site or cook or wrangle up kiddos or build fire etc. The enclosures so quick and easy, you really don't need to throw it up until sundown. I did buy a few sleep pads that also save a considerable amount of time from cots. The enclosure rests against the vehicle and allows access to the back seat. I packed the rear seat area of the car with the sleep pads, sleeping bags and pillows so they'd be accessible from the inside of the enclosure. Worked perfectly. Also, because the enclosure lays against the vehicle, I will buy a couple of magnetic LEDs to stick on the side of the car from inside the room...just store the lights in the door panel pocket for convenience.

Feel free to ask any questions if I didn't address them all.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

After my truck bed tent got destroyed at ovx 16, I am now researching options. After our week long trip with the truck bed tent, it was OK but pulling all of our gear out of the truck every time we setup camp was cumbersome. My wife has vowed next time she camps that we will be in the slide in camper. That being said, I am starting to look at relatively inexpensive ground tents for weekend trips where it's just me and the oldest kid.. for the price, this one caught my eye...
http://m.costco.com/Coleman®-5-person-Instant-Dome-Tent.product.100248539.html

132fe2e82f2a1fdceb85449e9bcf59c8.jpg

I know it's a nylon tent but the ease of setup and the price have me looking.. I have been researching reviews and they are mostly positive...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I wanted a two man tent for our trip on the Mojave Road a couple of years ago, like you, I didn't want to spend top dollar for one. I ended up getting a Field and Stream brand tent from Dick's. I had no high expectations of the tent at that price point. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Travis and Sarah were on that trip as well. The first morning they asked me how the tent survived the previous nights wind, as Travis had been up a time or two at night trying to stop his tent from flapping. I honestly had no idea that it had been windy the previous night. I haven't had it in any wet weather yet.

We've used it a couple of times since then. It's a little small, I think mine is a two man, but same design as the one below. It packs up small enough that it's in my full time carry pile for the Jeep, just in case I need shelter on a trail run.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...6.4413993.4414966&categoryId=4414989&fg=Brand

pDSP1-17798158p275w.jpg

After my truck bed tent got destroyed at ovx 16, I am now researching options. After our week long trip with the truck bed tent, it was OK but pulling all of our gear out of the truck every time we setup camp was cumbersome. My wife has vowed next time she camps that we will be in the slide in camper. That being said, I am starting to look at relatively inexpensive ground tents for weekend trips where it's just me and the oldest kid.. for the price, this one caught my eye...
http://m.costco.com/Coleman®-5-person-Instant-Dome-Tent.product.100248539.html

132fe2e82f2a1fdceb85449e9bcf59c8.jpg

I know it's a nylon tent but the ease of setup and the price have me looking.. I have been researching reviews and they are mostly positive...

I have this tent, usually use it as a changing room or bathroom tent as I have a teardrop camper. I have slept in it several trips too. Good tent and easy to put up. All my ground tents are the nylon kind, they will last for years if you keep them clean and cared for. I set all mine(4) up in the back yard once a year and spray them with tent sealant sold at Wal-Mart, keeps them water tight and ready to go.

I have a 10x20 Ozark trail 10 person tent, 6yrs old and just needs a new raun fly, Ozark trail 2 person 5yrs old, a Cot-tent xl 4yrs old and the coleman 5 person instant dome tent 2yrs old. A lot of tents but they all have a time and place that they are best for.

I have this tent, usually use it as a changing room or bathroom tent as I have a teardrop camper. I have slept in it several trips too. Good tent and easy to put up. All my ground tents are the nylon kind, they will last for years if you keep them clean and cared for. I set all mine(4) up in the back yard once a year and spray them with tent sealant sold at Wal-Mart, keeps them water tight and ready to go.

I have a 10x20 Ozark trail 10 person tent, 6yrs old and just needs a new raun fly, Ozark trail 2 person 5yrs old, a Cot-tent xl 4yrs old and the coleman 5 person instant dome tent 2yrs old. A lot of tents but they all have a time and place that they are best for.
This is great to know. Glad someone has personal experience with the tent I'm looking at. I'll be doing more research of course.. but thank you!!

We used an Oztent RV-5 at Overland Expo. Howling winds - no problem. VERY impressed with the features and quality of the Oztent line, it's pretty obvious after staying in one and really studying it that it's a true 4 season tent.

Is it wrong to just like tents? :D I'm not sure what it is, but I'm always looking at different tents.

Here's my progression over the last few years.

The first tent I bought when I decided I wanted to start camping.
A Kelty Acadia 4

It's a great tent and if you shop around on Amazon, it can be had for way less than MSRP.

After the Kelty, I decided that I needed something more compact.
Enter the Eureka Apex 2xt

This is/was a pretty good tent. I ended up ripping the sidewall near one of the entry doors when it was freezing at Homestake Camp in DV. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Then I decided I wanted to go backpacking.
I bought a second hand Lighthearted Gear SoLong 6

It weighs 14.8oz and is designed for people who are up to 6'8" tall.
It uses your hiking poles as tent poles. Pretty cool set up.

I once stayed in a ShiftPod which was pretty freaking awesome!

Sets up REALLY fast and is like a palace inside. Standing room, room for friends etc.

My current favorite tent is the REI Half Dome 2 Plus And, before the REI pitchforks come out, Santa brought this to me for Christmas last year. :D

My desire for space vs compactness ebbs and flows... I'm now back on the larger tent path... this thread isn't helping with the WANT :D

Is it wrong to just like tents? :D I'm not sure what it is, but I'm always looking at different tents.

Here's my progression over the last few years.

The first tent I bought when I decided I wanted to start camping.
A Kelty Acadia 4

It's a great tent and if you shop around on Amazon, it can be had for way less than MSRP.

After the Kelty, I decided that I needed something more compact.
Enter the Eureka Apex 2xt

This is/was a pretty good tent. I ended up ripping the sidewall near one of the entry doors when it was freezing at Homestake Camp in DV. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Then I decided I wanted to go backpacking.
I bought a second hand Lighthearted Gear SoLong 6

It weighs 14.8oz and is designed for people who are up to 6'8" tall.
It uses your hiking poles as tent poles. Pretty cool set up.

I once stayed in a ShiftPod which was pretty freaking awesome!

Sets up REALLY fast and is like a palace inside. Standing room, room for friends etc.

My current favorite tent is the REI Half Dome 2 Plus And, before the REI pitchforks come out, Santa brought this to me for Christmas last year. :D

My desire for space vs compactness ebbs and flows... I'm now back on the larger tent path... this thread isn't helping with the WANT :D
All of these are awesome.. I have to say, I got inside a shift pod at overland expo and was impressed. Seriously considering it to double as also a "disaster relief" shelter... the only problem I have is that I don't know anyone that's had one for more than an outing or two so I'm not sure how they will do long term. That bring said, I am also looking hard at oztent.. but the problem I have is getting the CFO to approve such a large $$$$ purchase for a tent... keep the ideas coming!!

Last edited:
The Shiftpods are very impressive IMO - looks like a pretty good quality and great for desert environments and WIND :eek:

The Shiftpods are very impressive IMO - looks like a pretty good quality and great for desert environments and WIND :eek:
You know what wind does to a traditional nylon tent.. we had this discussion a couple days ago, lol.. which is why I am really thinking about ponying up for either a quality ground tent, or doing an rtt on a small trailer or on the truck if I can make it easily removable for the times I want to use my slide in camper...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom