Goose's Bronco

Goose Gear

Adventurist
So here is our new purchase, well trade. I haven't been out in the dirt in quite a while but now that my daughter is a little older she wants to go out and play with daddy, awesome feeling of course.

I found this in a parking lot with a sign on it and had to stop. They wanted $500 and we are now working on a trade for some casework for their office, can you say free bronco? We can.

I took my daughter over to see it yesterday and she lit up, another awesome feeling for both of us. It looks like it should be scrapped and that is all the more reason I wanted it. As a matter of fact the seller almost sold it to a scrapper for the metal value.

WP_001260.jpg

WP_001251.jpg

WP_001250.jpg

I have not driven it, nor have I seen the motor or inside the darn thing but I don't care, it's cheap (not for long of course) and is not my first project car/truck. Not sure if it starts but someday soon it will be back out in the dirt, my daughter and I laughing all the way.

More to come, we take delivery of the rust bucket next weekend.

So here is the plan, get it next Saturday, try to get it running with as little $$$ as possible and get it smogged, yay California.

After that we have many plans, little time and little money. Self employment can be great and suck all at the same time.

Wish list is a mile long of course. But I would like to build something that is quite capable, overbuilt, reliable and good on gas (laughing yet?) In my previous Jeeps I went with long arm suspensions with decent lifts, 4"+ but on this one I am focusing more on safety and reliability. I am still searching many forums and researching the do's and dont's of Bronco's as it is new territory for us.

I would like to build it with 2-3" of lift and probably go to fiberglass fenders in order to get 35-37" tires under it for maximum ground clearance and a low COG. I know it will have that desert/rock crawler look but really it's all about function and trail performance after all I want to keep up with the Jeeps and smaller, nimble Toyotas. It will never be a rock crawler or go fast bronco anyway, those days are behind me and now it's time to smell the roses not just nock off their petals while passing by at high speeds. It's time to have fun with the family and get outdoors, much, much more. In the meantime, get it running, and start taking it out on small day trips.

WP_001309 (2).jpg

So we finally got the Bronco, a little late but better than never. Found out more information about it as well. It is a 1986 Bronco and we got it from the daughter of the original owner whom passed away 9 years ago. It had been sitting in the back of their commercial building for the past 6-7 years. As it turns out, the original owner was big into commercial broadcasting, ham radio etc and owned several mountain top communication towers throughout the Southern California and into Arizona, Nevada, etc. He used the Bronco to go to the various mountain top towers for maintenance etc. We can't wait to get it back up those same mountains.

So, we spent months gathering replacing and repairing various parts. Had a friend and a helper get it running. Started beautifully and was, yes was running fine. Turns out, if you don't put coolant in the radiator you can kill a motor really quick. Basically, two people were working on replacing hoses etc and each thought the other filled the radiator. So now we have a blown motor. My daughter was extremely sad and that sucks. I had had enough with this. Sold the F250 and bought a 2004 4Runner, 4wd of course.

We took our new toy to Arnold, CA and did a little, light, trail run and it was fun. But, I would like more travel and to possibly get to a 255/85-16. Having said all that I am relying on some AAV input. Last time I had a Toyota 4x4 it was 1988.

I am looking at Icon, Walker Evans, Fox etc to bump up the front a little and back a tiny bit. I would like some input and suggestions.

We plan to install F and R bumpers, winch and eventually a roof top tent. We will not be doing really long trips. Mostly 2-4 days at the max.

Thanks

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Wow, that is just a horrible ending! :(

You'll enjoy the 4Runner though! And won't have to work on it as much!

While in Arnold, I sure hope you stopped by Giant Burger! That place is an icon with the college kids down the hill.

Mitch, we did make it to Giant Burger, pretty good food. Loving the 4Runner so far, thought about an FJ, but, I like the visibility out of the 4Runner better. Plus the whole grocery getter look is nice too.

Sorry to hear about the Bronco, but nice replacement. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suspension you've mentioned, but personally have had experience with Icon products on a number of different vehicles. All have been quality built and should work well on that 4Runner.

Back
Top Bottom