Gear Review: Teton Sports Celsius -25 Sleeping Bags

I was freezing in my cheapo sleeping bag at mrv, so I've been looking at replacing it with something better. This bag is on my list for sure. Thanks!

Only because you are the only guy I know that is cheaper than I am, and you have a full size truck, so you have the room, get a couple/three of the cheap synthetic fleece type blankets that Food 4 Less (among other high end outdoor gear shops) stocks at the beginning of winter. They are usually $15-20, relatively warm, dry quickly (relative) if they get wet, and mostly, cheap enough to put in front of a tire for traction if stuck in deep sand, use as a ground cloth/tarp when laying under a vehicle, duct taping over a roll cage to form an impromptu roof on a rock crawler, etc... We also use ours as insulation/padding under us when I can't find anything else to use it for, especially when using an air mattress that sucks the heat out of your body.

Even/especially when traveling in my Jeep/tent camping, with limited space, I find room for one somewhere.

I was freezing in my cheapo sleeping bag at mrv, so I've been looking at replacing it with something better. This bag is on my list for sure. Thanks!

Don't be too hasty... extend the temperature range of that bad with an easy solution that has multiple applications, just like what bob91yj described.

I carry a couple extra items like a poncho liner from my service days, just 'cause it has so many applications, and a fleece sleeping bag I won in a contest. When it gets seriously colder than I planned for, I just increase the insulation factor of the bag exponentially by opening up the fleece bag or poncho liner or both, place one or other under, on top of, or around the sleeping bag and I end up being toasty warm.

Only because you are the only guy I know that is cheaper than I am, and you have a full size truck, so you have the room, get a couple/three of the cheap synthetic fleece type blankets that Food 4 Less (among other high end outdoor gear shops) stocks at the beginning of winter. They are usually $15-20, relatively warm, dry quickly (relative) if they get wet, and mostly, cheap enough to put in front of a tire for traction if stuck in deep sand, use as a ground cloth/tarp when laying under a vehicle, duct taping over a roll cage to form an impromptu roof on a rock crawler, etc... We also use ours as insulation/padding under us when I can't find anything else to use it for, especially when using an air mattress that sucks the heat out of your body.

Even/especially when traveling in my Jeep/tent camping, with limited space, I find room for one somewhere.

Good point Bob. . I'll have to look into those blankets as a solution.. and as for the first sentence of your reply, I am not sure if I should take that as a compliment, or an insult hahaha. I'll assume a compliment. I am very thrifty. Heck, I still use a 25 year old Coleman ice chest that sucks at keeping ice frozen, because I'm too cheap to buy a new one..

I need to preface this entry with some facts about myself. I'm 6'3" and a rather large individual.
That is why I have to get these larger rectangle bags.

Anyways,

I just bought the Teton Sports Celsius XXL -18˚C/0˚F bag from Amazon. (I got the green, right hand zip) I will let everyone know how it goes when I take it camping at Hana Flat near Fawnskin in a couple of weeks.

New bag.

My current bag, a Coleman Dunnock Large, has been great, but is only rated from 30-50˚F

Current bag. Great entry level bag.

And when I say, current bag and new bag, I guess the way I'm thinking of it is more of a specialized tool for a specific job.

I want to try some colder weather camping this winter!

Last edited:
Cris can show you some colder weather camping. And he's been looking for folks as crazy as him, so.. this is perfect. You might want to pick up one of Teton's -30 bags though.

Cris can show you some colder weather camping. And he's been looking for folks as crazy as him, so.. this is perfect. You might want to pick up one of Teton's -30 bags though.

That's funny. Cris is the exact person I was going to ask to show me the ropes! He's getting soft these days though, what with his teardrop and all! :D

That's funny. Cris is the exact person I was going to ask to show me the ropes! He's getting soft these days though, what with his teardrop and all! :D

I know. Next thing ya know he'll be in a FlipPac or Four Wheel Camper :rolleyes:

:sarcasm

Thanks for the review. Due to this, I bought the Deer Hunter -35 by Teton. The bag is heavy duty and looks as thought it will last for years. It is a heavy canvas bag and has a duffle bag to carry it as well. It is not a small bag and would not be good for backpacking. The first time I will get to use it will be the Appalachian Rendezvous in North Carolina! Looking forward to it.

81UGWnw1m7L._SL1500_.jpg

UPDATE 12/30/2014

Just used these bags on a trip that took us from the desert to over 8,000 feet and temps in the teens at night. These bags are AWESOME!

10888865_346965202178859_1010394952448316286_n.jpg

And, Teton Sports contacted me via Instagram and email today saying that because of this review and the interest from our community they have developed a new "Overland" style bag that will be released spring of 2015.

They'll be sending us one for review too :cool:

I bought one of the 0* bags for an Overland trip I did in Maine. The first night it was snowing and I had to strip down to my skivvies because I was too hot. The coldest of the four night had the temps down to 20*F with a 25 to 35mph wind and I was still in skivvies. Great bag and worth every penny. One of the best purchases last year.

UPDATE 12/30/2014

And, Teton Sports contacted me via Instagram and email today saying that because of this review and the interest from our community they have developed a new "Overland" style bag that will be released spring of 2015.

They'll be sending us one for review too :cool:

Those Teton Sports guys are pretty cool. I gave them a shout out on Instagram and they replied back. Super cool!

BTW, my bag performed very well. It was in the low teens at night on the Mojave Road this past weekend. I'm really glad I had good gear!

COLD

I will add my experience. My wife got me a Teton XL 0 degree for Christmas. I used it this weekend. I THOUGHT the overnight temps were supposed to be in the low 30s. I went to bed in a dry fit T and fleece bottoms and was cold most of the night. When I got up, it was 19 (who knows what the low was.) The next night, I wore a sweatshirt over the dry fit and was warm/hot all night, when I got up it was 30 (who knows what the low was.) I am happy the the bag and price, thanks for letting me know about them!
011715pod_frost1.JPG

Because of this review I just purchased one of their bags for an upcoming trip to BC and the PacNW. I went with the -25 bag because I wanted the extra warmth, but am a bit worried about the larger size. I'm used to mummy bags which need to be small and tight to trap in your heat. Anyone on the smaller side using these bags and happy with them? I would've preferred the sizing of the regular but that is only a 0 degree bag.

This bag is meant to supplement my current 30 degree down bag which I bought for backpacking about 10 years ago but is still going strong, just not quite as warm as it used to be!

So I now have about 12 nights in this bag and must say it's not the right bag for me. I must be too small and skinny for it to be appropriately warm. On my last night near Mt. Hood I intentionally drove up the mountain as far as possible to get as cold as possible to give it a good test...it got down to 20 degrees and sleeping inside the truck with the windows cracked I needed a fleece jacket at the bottom of the bag to keep my feet warm and slept in my down jacket. The zipper is a bit finicky and I find it hard to zip and unzip easily. Maybe I am just used to and like mummy bags, but i don't like that this bag has no way to get your head covered. Maybe that's why I think it sleeps so cold? Anyway, I was hoping for this to be a significant warmth upgrade over my 30 degree backpacker but have to say I am a bit disappointed.

For a hundred bucks I'm not too upset, and if you are a bit bigger than myself this bag might be much more appealing. Here's a shot of my home away from home for the last 2.5 weeks, the back of my newly acquired BJ74:

2178.jpg

Thanks for posting. I just got one of their Celsius XL 0 degree "Hybrid" bags that allows the head to be covered while still allowing you the room of a rectangle bag. I'll get a few nights with it before I review it.

We made the decision to go to overland expo with the truck bed tent.. Seeing reviews of last year and the weather I decided to invest in two new bags along with a Mr. Buddy tent heater to keep us all comfy. We are picking up the teton sports 0 degree bags. Can't wait to try them.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After this review, I purchased their Queen size 20 Deg back. We used it at Winter Safari 16' and am very pleased with
the bag. Thanks for putting the info out there.

I got one of my 2 teton 0 degree bags today and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality of this bag. Only actual camping use will tell me how it actually performs but just from checking out the bag today I am very impressed.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom