Gear Review: Teton Sports Celsius -25 Sleeping Bags

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Review: Teton Sports Celsius XL -25°F Sleeping Bags

Having spent a significant portion of my adult life in a Marine Corps Infantry Battalion, I am fairly disillusioned with the old grunt's maxim, "pack light, freeze at night" - I've spent too many nights wishing I had a better sleeping bag. As outdoor enthusiasts, our search for the right "two person" sleeping bag led us to a Kelty Corona 20° bag and while it is a decent bag overall, the slippery nylon inner material was never popular with my wife. Additionally, on a recent mountain camping trip my daughter and I were less than comfortable in snowy weather that was only in the high twenties at 6,500 feet elevation. That trip motivated me to find something better. Down is the obvious choice but a bag in the size and style that I need (XL, two person) is about $850+tax/shipping from Feathered Friends so I needed to compromise. After some online research I learned about Utah based Teton Sports. Their sleeping bag offerings were getting pretty good reviews online so here is what I found out first hand:

teton-Celsius-XXL-Sleeping-Bag.jpg

The Teton Sports Celsius XL's synthetic SuperLoft Elite 4–Channel Hollow Fiber insulation is rated down to -25°F. The quality of this bag is apparent right away, especially for a bag at this price point. Nice stuff sack, nice materials, nice stitching and attention to detail - as good (or better) than the more expensive Kelty bag we already owned.

bag detail.jpg

The brushed poly flannel interior makes it MUCH more appealing to slide into at night while double-layer insulation with shoulder/zipper baffles and generous drawstring mummy hood ensures minimal heat loss. A hidden pocket keeps accessories accounted for.

L Grey Bag velcro pocket.jpg

At 9.5 lbs it's not really a backpacker bag but for vehicle borne ops it's perfect as it packs down to a reasonable size. Measuring 90 x 36 inches its great for bigger people or those who need elbow and leg room. I'm 6'4 and have plenty of room, and plenty of coverage, in this bag. The included stuff sack is actually on par with USMC issued stuff sacks I've used.
stuff sack.jpg

I purchased both a left and right zip XL bag so that I could join them together and this configuration has a few pros and one con. Pros: less zippers, less draft due to no openings at the sides and corners. Con: ingress and egress is through the zipper at the centerline only. All things considered, I prefer this design over a circumferential zipper design due to simplicity and the added warmth it ensures.

bags together.jpg

The Celsius XL -25°F bag is available in green or gray, and the Celsius XXL 0°F bag is available in green, gray and black. On our recent winter time trip to Death Valley I found them to be roomy, comfortable and WARM. With temps in the 20's and 30's at night - I actually got so warm I had to unzip the bag a bit!
bag temp rating.jpg

The bottom line? I recommend this bag. Obviously, Teton Sports is producing some really nice gear and they are quickly making a name for themselves in the outdoor market. If you could only have one sleeping bag this is it and the price point is more than reasonable considering all of the nice features. Priced around $100, the Celsius XL is a lot of sleeping bag for the money. Visit Teton Sports for more info!

Last edited:
Nice review Dave. I too am a fan of the flannel style inner lining, will give these a look when it's time for new bags for sure.

One thing I must add - this sucker is hot! While you can always throw a leg out for temperature control, these are definitely Winter bags!

The 0 degree bag is probably more suited to 3 season campers but since we do a lot in winter I went big.

Just ordered two of these with expedited shipping, should be here in time for OVX! :D

I have two of the zero degree bags and couldn't be happier for the price paid. I was looking for the largest rectangular bag I could find. As Dave mentioned, plenty of room in these.

Dave I took your recommendation and you were spot on! I'd just like it if there were zippers on both sides. Think I'll contact them and see if they'll do a special one. Thanks for the tip

Dave I took your recommendation and you were spot on! I'd just like it if there were zippers on both sides. Think I'll contact them and see if they'll do a special one. Thanks for the tip

:thumbsup

I'm currently using Ikea feather duvets in my roof top tent because I can fold up the tent with them inside and feather don't take up any room when compressed. I would rather have a good quality feather bag as I think it would be more practical than the duvets, but as you said, price for a rectangle feather bag is astronomical!

Do you think the reviewed bag would work in a roof top tent as I described? The bag would be left unzipped and laid flat in the tent before folding up the RTT?

we purchased the "double wide" version(no zipper down the middle) and i think its good to -18*C, wich is more than enough because I naturally run hot. Best investment ever! but with the quality for a low price, it feels like I robbed some one insted of investing. We use it year round, and even warm summer nights, I can unzip my side to regulate temps, and she can stay curled up. I think we payed $110ish on amazon last spring. never looking back.

Do you think the reviewed bag would work in a roof top tent as I described? The bag would be left unzipped and laid flat in the tent before folding up the RTT?

If it was a one person bag sure, but two of them I'm not so sure. IIRC from when I had my Eazi-Awn 1600 RTT, one of the issues was not being able leave the bedding in there when closing it up.

Not sure what rtt you have, but FWIW we can leave our Teton bag in side, zipped as tho we were sleeping in it, and our ARB closes up. Trick is to close it, and them slowly compress it to get the air out.

Lumpy, I have the Eazi-Awn 1600 RTT, very similar to the ARB. Good to hear you are happy with it on both warm summer nights and cold winter outings. Our winter camping never gets much below freezing, but I hate to be cold.

The price is incredible, almost too cheap if it works as well as everyone says. I hate mummy bags and finding a good warm, versatile rectangular bag is tough. They are either junk that lets you freeze at 40 degrees F or they cost four or five hundred dollars. The Teton bag appears to be a good mix between price and quality.

Sorta related the TETON Sports Celsius XXL 0°F Sleeping Bag is currently 44.98 @ Dicks Sporting goods. I just ordered a left and right bag for using this >link< to sign up to their email letter and get 10% off. With the free shipping over $49 it came out to $87.03 shipped for me. I've been using the -25 degree bag since May of last year and I love it.

I was freezing in my cheapo sleeping bag at mrv, so I've been looking at replacing it with something better. This bag is on my list for sure. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom