Gear Review: Gerber Dime Keychain Multi-Tool

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Review: Gerber Dime Keychain Multi-Tool

I like knives. All kinds of knives. I have knives in every vehicle and a variety of EDC favorites some of which have traveled the globe with me. Of all my knives, I have a thing for small "micro" knives... as in easy to carry and inconspicuous. Multi-Tools are usually neither of these.

For me, a keychain has to be small enough to actually fit in my pocket since I only carry a couple keys most days so I was looking for something "keychain friendly" that wouldn't piss me off when I needed to stuff them in a pants pocket. It also needed to augment my larger EDC knives in a useful way. Sometimes whipping out an-folder in public to open a package, or a beer, isn't exactly a good call. Enter the diminutive, but deceptively capable, Dime from Gerber.
dime package.JPG

Made of stainless steel and measuring only 2.75 inches closed, when fully opened it measures 4.25 inches of usefulness. Weighing in at a mere 2.20 ounces, the Dime is a true micro-tool that is barely larger or heavier than the key to my Toyota Tacoma making it an unobtrusive addition to any keychain.

dime pliers.jpg

In the tool department, the first thing that I noticed when I fully opened it was that needle nose style pliers were spring loaded - nice. Opening further reveals a variety of options including a fine edged blade, scissors, a flat head and phillips screwdriver, tweezers and a small file.

gerber dime 2.jpg

A couple features that really struck me as cool were the "retail package opener" blade (cross between a box opener and a strap cutter) and the fact that the bottle opener is exposed even when the tool is completely folded up, a far more convenient arrangement than most folding tools that require you to open to open!

dime folded.jpg

The bottom line?
Gerber, based in Tigard, Oregon has a long tradition of quality knife making in the USA. Despite the move to "made in China" on much of their line, that tradition continues today with many modern innovations and unique designs made for the outdoor adventure market. The Gerber Dime, while not perfect for every situation where a blade or tool is indicated, is a nice way to augment your EDC with something light and unobtrusive. Fit and finish is excellent with a sleek and comfortable shape that stows easily in a pocket. Feature packed and priced around $20, it's a great value and won't ruin your day were it to go MIA in the woods. Visit Gerber for more info!

Last edited:
Good-looking implement... I'm a BIG-TIME GERBER FAN, ever since I bought my first Gerber Gator Serrator back in '96 as a utility knife for truck driving purposes. With its serrated edge, that knife will cut through metal straps like nobody's business... dock workers who borrowed it on multiple occasions marveled at its sharpness, though that's a personal thing, keeping my knives razor-sharp. One dude was classic: he asked to borrow the knife, then said, "Whoa, it's SHARP!!!" My reply: "Wouldn't be much use if it weren't, aye???" LOL. But that's just the way I am, why bother owning a dull knife??? Enough said, had to chime in on ye olde Gerber products, I'm a faithful Gerber fan, though I DO have other knives, 10?

Fyi in case anyone is heading out to AZ or is in AZ. The Kmart in Blythe is closing its doors, they had about 50 of the Dime's in the sporting good section for 40% off.

We are running an SCE project out there and need a break from the heat and decided to paruse the isles. Picked up a few GCI camping goodies as well.

Back
Top Bottom