Gear Review: Carhartt Tool Roll & Tool Pouches

Exploring Elements

Adventurist
Bottom line; quality product at a great price! Pick them up on Amazon through the link in the article for a smokin deal. This is a great way to keep your tools close at hand, organized and not rattling around on your next off road excursion.

EECarhartToolRollReview-1.jpg

EECarhartToolRollReview-6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now there's something I definitely need more than the unorganized heavy grenade can I've been using for my tools.

I clicked on the tool roll and was told " currently out of stock "

Last edited:
I got the same bag (although different brand on the side) about 5 years ago from a friend. It still lives in my truck today. I love it.

Last edited:
Please see the tread about blogger etiquette located here

We ask that you give us a solid "intro" to your article/blog post etc that includes 2-3 quality photos to illustrate the best of your experience/product and a brief executive summary or synopsis of the subject with your link. This will more than likely encourage our readers to learn more and tells readers you're enthusiastic about ________ and that they should enjoy the subject too.

In closing, don't expect to submit a minimal effort post here on our Forum to "click my link for neat stuff" without adversely affecting your reputation with our readers. If
you don't have the time to capture our interest here on this site why should we bother to follow a link to your site?

and #15 from the general forum rules located here

15. Forum Etiquette for Bloggers and Outdoor Industry Insiders: We ask that you give us a solid "intro" to your article/blog post etc that includes 2-3 quality photos to illustrate the best of your experience/product and a brief executive summary or synopsis of the subject with your link. This will more than likely encourage our readers to learn more and tells readers you're enthusiastic about ________ and that they should enjoy the subject too.

If your only posts here on this Community Forum are solely to drop links to guide traffic "back to your site", you will not be meeting the basic requirements for membership here. We expect a higher level of interaction than just self promotion or blatant link dropping. Post up, ask and answer questions, share with the Community as a PERSON first. Vendor, blogger, industry insider dude or just regular Joe we should all be here for the primary reason this Forum was created - to share information and have fun!

Thanks

I'm curious as to why someone would post a gear review for an item that they sell and isn't in stock. Seems almost automated. I know you guys are real people because I met you at the expo last May. It would be nice if y'all shared more than what you're trying to sell to us.

Oh, so you're selling these without giving a review here on American Adventurist.

I don't think they're selling it at all. They link to carhartt's website and Amazon. No direct sales from their website.

I don't think they're selling it at all. They link to carhartt's website and Amazon. No direct sales from their website.

Except the Amazon link is for their "affiliate" store, so they get a little slice. Which is fine, I guess, but they could have at least copypasta'd the review here instead of doing it just to drive traffic to their site...

After looking at their profile and threads started. Most, if not all of their contributions to this site are links back to their website and or Amazon, trying to sell something of which they get a slice. On their own website, they're asking for contributions/ donations so they can keep adventuring. Looks like they're pretty well off already. GET A JOB!! Share some adventures not something you're selling. I'm all about capitalism but I feel like AAV is a big family to me. If they cannot be a part of the family, then I'll not support them and will only blast everything they post:mad: The only thing I've liked was the Carhart Tool Bag anyway. If they were forum sponsors, or were humble, or selling something crafted by them it'd be a different story. Hey OP, hint, hint!
The Mayor has spoken, Rant Over!

Exploring Elements I have edited your original post as it contained an unapproved commercial link by a non-sponsor member. While blog posts are welcome here as long as they follow forum policies, this recent post has pushed beyond those parameters and into the realm of marketing. Please contact AAV administrators to see about acquiring sponsor status if you wish to continue linking to commercial sites.

I have a different brand of tool roll. Can't recall what it is off hand but I find that some actually have some thought put into them, and others are just a collection of slots to stuff some tools in. I actually keep several rolls in my tool bag. One for metric wrenches, another for standard wrenches, a third for longer tools, and a fourth of go to tools. I've also found that checking out the materials used and the stitching seem to be a real differentiating factor. I've picked up one or two in a discount rack that weren't worth the pennies I spent. Others made of waxed canvas or a heavier nylon seem to hold up better.

I'm curious as to why someone would post a gear review for an item that they sell and isn't in stock. Seems almost automated. I know you guys are real people because I met you at the expo last May. It would be nice if y'all shared more than what you're trying to sell to us.

I found it. Exploring Elements web-store is out of stock. I still wish they'd share more experiences than selling gear. My two cents

After looking at their profile and threads started. Most, if not all of their contributions to this site are links back to their website and or Amazon, trying to sell something of which they get a slice. On their own website, they're asking for contributions/ donations so they can keep adventuring. Looks like they're pretty well off already. GET A JOB!! Share some adventures not something you're selling. I'm all about capitalism but I feel like AAV is a big family to me. If they cannot be a part of the family, then I'll not support them and will only blast everything they post:mad: The only thing I've liked was the Carhart Tool Bag anyway. If they were forum sponsors, or were humble, or selling something crafted by them it'd be a different story. Hey OP, hint, hint!
The Mayor has spoken, Rant Over!

You cracked the code Dan. You pushed back the curtain and you learned that the man behind it wasn't sharing a good piece of kit for a good price for a colleague's benefit, but rather trying to make a few bucks for getting you to click and look at it and maybe getting another retailer to sell something to you.

Join our community and share your adventures Exploring Elements - we welcome you - but don't exploit us for your financial gain. That's not the way to contribute to a community or build relationships.

I shared a gear review that I did on a product that I'd recommend. I have no affiliation with the manufacturer in any way. I do not sell it on my website, and have not mentioned my "store" on this forum. I do offer logoed gear and hand made earrings made by my girlfriend in that store. The link is to Amazon where I get like 4% of a sale if clicked through from my site. I assure you that I don't even make enough on Amazon affiliate sales to pay to keep the website live. I'm a broke traveler who saved for many years to hit the road full time, for over 3 yrs now. That money has long since run out and I pay my bills month to month now. I pay my own way through freelance photography and writing in the outdoor, 4x4 and overland markets.

I have been to MANY American Adventurist events over those years and have photographed and written about all of them, some of the best press any of the events have received, on my website and on sites like Expedition Portal.
http://www.exploringelements.com/event-american-adventuristtrasharoo-toys-for-tots-2014/
http://www.exploringelements.com/event-2013-socal-mountain-rendezvous/
http://expeditionportal.com/2013-desert-rendezvous/
http://www.exploringelements.com/event-socal-desert-rendezvous-2012/

I do share a lot of gear reviews, as that is a main topic on my website. I also share stories from the road, event coverage and share/write about topics that relate to the outdoor and overland markets.

I'm sorry if somehow you see me as a commercial entity encroaching on this community and not contributing. The forum rules you quote are actually ones that Dave consulted with me about. If you look I have followed said rules throughout my postings. This posting about the tool roll is a little light on the text, but it is also a short review about a basic product.

I'm saddened that this is the type of response you get when sharing your knowledge on this forum. I can and will take my "business" elsewhere if that is really what this community wants.

I apologize for the late response, but I've been off roading in the High Country of Australia for the past week (building some content for a 4x4 magazine I write for) with no access to wifi.

I don't speak for everybody here, as I'm just another cog in the wheel of AAV. We just want you to contribute more to the forum without links back to some store to buy something. Why not become a forum sponsor? Not to be mean but you say you're a broke traveller, if so, what's up with being in Australia? If that money ran out, why not get a real job? Instead of asking for donations on your website so you can play more? We all work so we can travel. If you want to be a part of the family, we'd like you to be here, but just a bit different than how you've been recently. Most if not all of your posts reviewed some gear but there wasn't much else given to the forum, except a link back to either your store or the amazon location.
Lastly, it'd be nice to cover gear reviews of more American made products, or when you do a gear review, why not compare it to other similar products besides what your amazon site sells and with an unbiased opinion?..My two cents...

Last edited:
I guess I missed the part about donations. All I saw was he makes his money through freelance journalism/photography, and a measly 4% on Amazon.

I'll agree that their threads do seem to be commercial in nature, but I rarely follow links to anything unless I have a real interest in it. I did get a kick out of their "how to take a shower at a KOA" thread on Expo. No commercial content there, if you need pointers on taking a shower, you've either been WAY off the grid for a while, or shouldn't be out by yourself to begin with!

I have not ever put a link on this forum back to my store.
I am in Australia writing, photographing and building content for a 4x4 magazine down here. It is work. I work for a living, it is just not a 9-5 be in one place kind of job. I choose to live on the road full time and barely scrape by right now.
I have never asked for donations or put a link to a donation page on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter. I believe that content online does have some value, and the third option on the contribute page on my website is to donate. Again, I have never linked to this page from anywhere, you would have to go searching for it on my website.
I'd love to review more American made products, and have reviewed a few already. I have also done a number of comparison reviews on the site with a variety of products. I have one of the most unbiased opinions on the internet, as I do not get any compensation, besides the actual product, from any of the companies that I write about. I only write reviews of products that I'd recommend. I have refused to review quite a few products that I've received for review consideration.

This is a tough crowd. I'm not sure that I want to promote events and contribute to this forum in any way if this is the way people are treated on here.

I have not ever put a link on this forum back to my store.
I am in Australia writing, photographing and building content for a 4x4 magazine down here. It is work. I work for a living, it is just not a 9-5 be in one place kind of job. I choose to live on the road full time and barely scrape by right now.
I have never asked for donations or put a link to a donation page on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter. I believe that content online does have some value, and the third option on the contribute page on my website is to donate. Again, I have never linked to this page from anywhere, you would have to go searching for it on my website.
I'd love to review more American made products, and have reviewed a few already. I have also done a number of comparison reviews on the site with a variety of products. I have one of the most unbiased opinions on the internet, as I do not get any compensation, besides the actual product, from any of the companies that I write about. I only write reviews of products that I'd recommend. I have refused to review quite a few products that I've received for review consideration.

This is a tough crowd. I'm not sure that I want to promote events and contribute to this forum in any way if this is the way people are treated on here.

"Perception is reality" Bryon. You do what you want; however, we'd value your contributions if they were more than a few sentences and a picture or two and a link to your blog.

But please don't threaten us with, "I'm not sure that I want to promote events and contribute to this forum in any way." That's an incredibly conceited ultimatum to declare and a poor business decision to proclaim on an open forum. Remember, we are your audience, customers, readers, fellow travellers, and consumers. As we are communicating now, we also communicate to vendors and sponsors. Threats can work both ways.

But that's not my intent to threaten you Bryon because I care about what you do and the potential influence you have on our community of interest. I'm certain you've got some legendary experiences to share but you haven't revealed them to us on this forum. Instead we get a teaser related to a product review and a web link - I have limited time already and this is one of the few forums I visit. Bloggers who reference their own site while shilling products is distracting... much like annoying pop-up ads.

Enthrall us with your trip to Australia (or wherever) but leave out the product reviews... tell us about you and your travels. Then throw a gear review in your post every once in awhile. You have to romance your audience a little bit before you get to home-plate. But that's going to require a little more effort on your part to put more content on-line - you have to determine how you want to engage with your readers. This way now is not so good...

I've learned more about what you do and how you do it in the last couple of posts you've made than I ever did in the previous 4 years that I've known about you and your travels. I actually found that more interesting than how to shower at a KOA.

Maybe we forum members are tough, but if you can make the effort, we can be your greatest supporters. You may travel alone on your ventures my friend, but overlanding is a team sport when you decide to make a living on the internet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom