Full Hillbilly, window AC

Malamute

Adventurist
Ive been intending to do this for some time, finally saved up enough for the small Honda Generator. I modified my home made cargo box to mount the generator inside, and made some aluminum angle brackets to mount the AC in the right side second row window. Initial test runs seem to be encouraging, though I may end up having to get a hard start capacitor for the AC compressor, its not kicked over a time or two if the gen is run on Eco mode.

This alleviates some concern about having to travel cross country in the summer and taking the dog. Ive done it, but always rush into anywhere I need to go and hurry back out. I can now relax somewhat, and if I get a flat or breakdown, or cant hurry the taco bell folks, its not an issue, nor would be sleeping in the back if its hot.

0729181710.jpg

0729181711.jpg

0729181712b.jpg

0729181713c.jpg

0729181711a.jpg

As ghetto as it looks, thats pretty nicely done inside the box! :D

FWIW, you can leave the 4runner running, a second key will allow you to lock the doors when its running.

Thanks!

I used to leave one of my older Suburbans run with the AC on and dogs in it for short town stops in the home town in the rockies, but it was overheating somewhat when in the 90s or 100 deg out. I had a spare electric radiator fan installed, it helped, but the engine still got fairly warm.

I have a spare key, but I wouldnt leave my vehicle running unattended at some random interstate rest stop or gas station while using the bathroom or in a walmart or whatever. Its also not legal in some states. I was so informed by a nice police officer in MT when he had a call about my dogs being in my vehicle (in the shade with windows open some and gone only a few minutes while getting ready to go up in the mountains). He also said it was a felony (animal cruelty?) in MT if a dog died by leaving it in a hot vehicle, and a misdemeanor if left and only overheated.

This has been a long time coming. Partly from practical perspective, partly from more attention to people breaking windows out to save dogs. I have nothing against that if truly needed, but many simply knee jerk react, and are unencumbered by the thought process. I leave my dash cam running, say the time I leave and come back, and the temp. If theres any question, its not a "he said-she said" no way to prove any point. Id prefer to simply avoid all of that. This seems to cover the practical aspects and potential offensive human interaction aspects. And, I have AC for naps!

Back
Top Bottom