Flatbed Users in California - any registration hurdles?

Herbie

Adventurist
Well, I've just taken delivery of a previously-owned, out of state, Ford F150 with a Four Wheel Camper Hawk Flatbed attached. Very excited, but job #1 is getting it registered in California. Aside from removing a potentially non-CARB compliant oil-catch on the PCV line, I figured I was good-to-go on getting the otherwise stock F150 smogged, but my local test shop flagged me for "tampered fuel filler", because of course it was modified to fit the flatbed. :mad:

I understand the issues at play, and I'm not looking to start a "bash California" thread - just looking to see if anyone else has had to jump through this particular hurdle.

I've got a "virtual" BAR referee appointment scheduled for next week, but I'm guessing a 2nd in-person visit will be required to validate that the correct hardware, etc. is fitted. I suppose if you have a flatbed fitted *in* California, the installer has worked out a way to square this in advance? Or did anyone get a nasty surprise some time later? Anything I need to worry about making sure I've got in advance, documentation-wise?

Thanks!

Mine already had a plate/smog when I modded it.

My flatbed for the diesel RAM with FWC was done in AZ by AT. Other than mounting the filler to the bed, I don't think the actual filler was modified. How is yours actually modified, or was this purely subjective on their part?

How is yours actually modified, or was this purely subjective on their part?

I'm guessing they never looked closely enough at it to see. They bailed on the job and refunded my money after they'd already failed me once and had me remove the PCV oil-catch, and then (belatedly) realized that the fuel filler was not "normal".

I think the only "change" is in the way the filler cap is setup - the OEM Fords of this generation had a "capless filler" where there was some sort of spring-loaded door you just jam the nozzle into. Instead, the truck now has a traditional filler with a locking cap. It looks like the vent-line, etc. are all as they should be, so I'm guessing it's fine, but trying to avoid any more surprises!

Well, I've just taken delivery of a previously-owned, out of state, Ford F150 with a Four Wheel Camper Hawk Flatbed attached. Very excited, but job #1 is getting it registered in California. Aside from removing a potentially non-CARB compliant oil-catch on the PCV line, I figured I was good-to-go on getting the otherwise stock F150 smogged, but my local test shop flagged me for "tampered fuel filler", because of course it was modified to fit the flatbed. :mad:

I understand the issues at play, and I'm not looking to start a "bash California" thread - just looking to see if anyone else has had to jump through this particular hurdle.

I've got a "virtual" BAR referee appointment scheduled for next week, but I'm guessing a 2nd in-person visit will be required to validate that the correct hardware, etc. is fitted. I suppose if you have a flatbed fitted *in* California, the installer has worked out a way to square this in advance? Or did anyone get a nasty surprise some time later? Anything I need to worry about making sure I've got in advance, documentation-wise?

Thanks!
First of all Congrats on the new digs. Also see if you can get it registered non commercial as it is a dedicated camper... no weight fees on registration.

First of all Congrats on the new digs. Also see if you can get it registered non commercial as it is a dedicated camper... no weight fees on registration.

Excellent advice

Welp, it took some time, but I'm finally all squared away. In the end, the smog referee was fairly easy going - the necessary modification to the fuel filler when the flatbed was put on by the previous owner was fairly well done, except that they used fuel hose labelled "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION" which was apparently enough for California to get nervous. (That and the fact that the breather tube was three different lengths of hose.)

Other than mounting the filler to the bed, I don't think the actual filler was modified. How is yours actually modified, or was this purely subjective on their part?

As I am now a quasi-expert on this particular subsystem, I can say that it turns out the change was non-trivial coming from an F-150. The OEM "capless filler" system has a long (longer than typical) steel neck that includes a paired steel vent line down to the last 18" or so. The vent line has a short flex section from the tank to the hard-line that includes a restrictor at the union. Going flatbed requires ditching the whole arrangement and replacing with a more traditional fill neck from F-250/F-350.

Once I provided photos of a "stock" F150 filler (thank you eBay junkyard listings with good photos) and pointed out how my truck had retained the lower OEM section that included the fuel-pump quick-disconnect and the restrictor, the referee was satisfied with everything if I just replaced the one 12" section of hose with "fuel injection rated" material. We had a fun chat while he did his due diligence, and at the end of the day, I found that (once again), going into the situation prepared with good documentation and a positive attitude made everything go smoothly.

The same held true at the DMV - one would think that bringing a Canadian-market F150, converted to flatbed, via two other US states, into California, would be a regulatory challenge - but having all the docs lined up (and knowing the key details, such as making sure the rig got documented as a Permanently Mounted camper instead of a commercial flatbed (thank you @woody for the head's up) got it all done in a single short visit.

Build thread coming soon - as soon as I start in on the short list of projects.

Thanks everyone!

Very good Herbie, well done with the research and being prepared. Congratulations on the new rig and photos when you can. Look forward to seeing it in person sometime.
Eric

I wanted to drop this tidbit in this thread, lest I need it later and can't figure out how to find the info again:

Whilst cleaning up the vent line issues in the fuel-filler neck, I managed to overstress and break the factory quick-connector at the fuel tank. Fortunately, replacements are available. With some careful measurements and spec-shopping the Dorman site, I found this part can be used to repair the line for a 2018 (presumably all 8th-gen 2015-2020) F-150:

Dorman 800-332
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-101595-800-332.aspx?origin=keyword

Back
Top Bottom