Dutch Oven Competition: Desert Rendezvous 2017

Stuart

Adventurist
Founding Member
Well alright! With the RSVP list going active for the 2017 DRV it is time to start the thread about the Dutch Oven Competition & Potluck.

Any and all may compete as long as you prepare your dish in a dutch oven. There should be zero charcoal restrictions out in the desert. If you like to post up here and let others know what you're planning that is great. Please do not think that you have to another type of dish because other folks are already doing the same thing. If there are 20 chocolate cakes and zero vegetable dishes that is just fine. I won't tell your mum.

I do ask that you sign up for the competition when you check in at the main table. I'll be there. I'm the BUF with a goatee and crippled foot. When you sign up I'll write down your info (screen name, dish name, real name) and give you a space number for the tables. Each space will have a voting tin that corresponds with your number. All attendees get three paper tickets to vote for their favorite dish (1, 2, or 3 tickets). There isn't enough time before the event kicks off for me to go to every camp to ask if folks want to compete. Plus with the dispersed nature of the event I can't get to all camps. See above about the crippled foot.

More information to follow. Hope we have whet your appetite.

Last year this was amazing! Can the attendees raise the bar yet again in 2017?

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

Wow. Because those wings were AMAZING!!!

:drool

They were amazing!! And Yes, maybe not a forgotten memory, but we have to raise the bar right? I'm excited to see what some of our new attendees will bring to the table. He set the standard for others to go by and the only way to go is up!! Let's do this!!! Have to have a little fun between us medics. :);)

No doubt. I know that this portion of the event gets more competitive every year!

Final rules being hashed out. More to come.

In homage to the IOOC, provisional status for sure with bribes, er, tastings around my camp throughout the event.

I'm in...OK to use the Scottle along with the Dutch? Or is that stretching the rules

No secrets. Everything was cooked out in the open. I even posted last year how I was able to cook approximately 500 wings for my fellow adventurists.

It took a couple plus hours to cook/crank out about 500 wings.

The plan:

The wings were washed and then they were dipped in a dish of self rising flour.
Then 10-12 wings were placed in the Lodge Dutch Oven Baskets at a time.

I had 2 deep Dutch ovens filled with canola oil at approximately 375 degrees.

I would then put the baskets in the Dutch oven for approximately 6 minutes at a time.
I staged them so I had time to prep the next batch.

Then I would place the cooked wings on the Skottle while they were finished with
Franks Red Hot Sauce.

This was my first attempt at wings and I truly enjoyed the challenge.

Take care everyone.

No worries, my goal is to feed many again this year............. without a cool Skottle
:bbq

Back
Top Bottom