Don't go in the water?

So it's shark week on TV, but that's not the reason to stay out of the water.

(Although I admit I seem to have been seeing more news reports of shark attacks on swimmers than I can remember seeing in previous years.)

No, somewhat more concerning to me is that in the last few months, I've been seeing a lot more news reports of people getting "flesh eating bacteria " from being in the water.

Now there was just a report about a guy who got "brain eating amoebas" and dying after a short dip in, I think, a lake in MD.

(I don't worry about the idiot Instagramers who get sick after taking pictures of themselves in known toxic ponds/lakes. That's just evolution in action.)

Is it just me, or is there something new going on?

What do the rest of you think?

Seem to recall it happening every summer for the past few years. Even someone getting an ameoba from their tap (may have been a well).

https://www.livescience.com/66037-man-brain-eating-amoeba-death-north-carolina.html

It was NC, just down the road from me.

They say just don't get water forcefully up the nose.. like lake water slides, falling off jet skis, etc.. And it's still very rare.

And it's not new, a few people die from it every year since the figured out what the hell it was.

This. Not new but extremely rare. It won’t keep me out of the water and neither will sharks or gators.

If I die, I die.

If I die, I die.

This is the same attitude I had back when I was riding motorcycles damn near everywhere. But I felt that I had a lot more control over that than I do over bacteria and amoebas. Can't really swerve to get out of their way!

As for gators, I rally think you should pay attention to signs like this, whenever you run across one . . .

gator.jpg

That’s a crocodile. Way different actually. But still.

Know your AO, what lives there, and act accordingly.

I refuse to live in fear.

I have dived with sharks. Way more ways to die than by a shark bite.

I've been on and under the water for days on end, all over the world - up and down the Pacific coast, the Caribbean, the Gulf, Hawaii, Guam, Okinawa, Australia, the Bering Sea, the Maldives, the Outer Banks...

... we are never truly "safe" on land or sea, but you must always be aware. Looking back, I'm so glad I did what I did when I had the chance, despite all the rumors of imminent death by whatever.

My life experiences helped distill our simple maxim here at American Adventurist.

Travel. Explore. LIVE.

146 cases in the US in the last fifty years.

146 cases. In 50 years.

In 1969, the US population was about 202.7 million. It’s about 329.2 million today.

I could circumnavigate the globe swimming and never ingest this.

I have a higher chance of being struck by lightening. Or choking to death on my morning coffee.

:coffee

146 cases in the US in the last fifty years.

146 cases. In 50 years.

In 1969, the US population was about 202.7 million. It’s about 329.2 million today.

I could circumnavigate the globe swimming and never ingest this.

I have a higher chance of being struck by lightening. Or choking to death on my morning coffee.

:coffee
Mid-watch coffee, quite possibly.

Back
Top Bottom