Corona Virus, general conversation

Just read an article about a "social media influencer" who, after getting tired of being in her NY brownstone with her husband and 5 kids for the last several weeks, rented an RV and took all of them on a cross country road trip. She's received both support and backlash for the decision.

View attachment 51065

If she is honest in her 'reporting" from the road, I'll bet anything they encounter lots of places where they are not welcomed, and will be perceived as part of why a local community's shelves are empty and support systems are strained.

To think they can avoid contact, if that's what they're thinking, or will not have an accident, will not break down, or can avoid personal injury that needs local support, is amazingly ignorant of what cross-country travel--ESPECIALLY in a vehicle you don't know well--actually entails.

What a fool's errand, to undertake a cross-country trip right now. Those of us that have traveled extensively around the world, and especially around the United States, know staying put in a situation like this is the prudent thing to do.

Unreal.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Last edited:
Just read an article about a "social media influencer" who, after getting tired of being in her NY brownstone with her husband and 5 kids for the last several weeks, rented an RV and took all of them on a cross country road trip. She's received both support and backlash for the decision.

In contrast, all the people I know who are true full-timers or nearly-full-timers have all made the decision to come off the road hard and fast. Too hard to keep a solid food supply, etc. if you're limited on storage space and avoiding frequent shopping or eating in public.

Most do, some don't, some don't out of spite. They rely more on public pressure for enforcement than anything else.

This is what gets me - the ones who “do it out of spite”.

Public pressure and enforcement can escalate quick too in the absence of “the authorities”.

See “roof Koreans” for reference, Los Angeles, April 29th 1992... there was a riot on the streets tell me where were you?

See “roof Koreans” for reference, Los Angeles, April 29th 1992... there was a riot on the streets tell me where were you?

i was sitting home watching my TV. were you participating in some anarchy?

as for the church rights...

before i share my thoughts, i'd encourage you to read A. Scalia's commencement speech in 2015.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/acath...-commencement-address-justice-antonin-scalia/
it's well worth 5 min of your time. however, i've quoted the relevant portion here and underlined for emphasis
The next platitude I want to address…

“The United States is the greatest country in the world.” [or a derivative] “We are the greatest because we are the freest”…

But is it really true?…Let me tell you what I think the answer is. We are the greatest because of the good qualities of our people and because of the governmental system that gives room for those qualities to develop. I refer to qualities such as generosity…honesty…constancy…tolerance…self-reliance…initiative…civility… These are what make us the greatest. And not only is it not true that we are the greatest because we are the freest, but rather precisely the opposite is true. We are the freest because we have those qualities that make us the greatest. For freedom is a luxury that can be afforded only by the good society. When civic virtue diminishes freedom will inevitably diminish as well. Take the simplest example: Many municipalities do not have any ordinance against spitting gum out on the sidewalk. As far as the law is concerned, you are free to do that. But that freedom is a consequence of the fact that not many people are so thoughtless of others as to engage in that practice. If that behavior becomes commonplace, you can be absolutely sure that an ordinance will be passed and that freedom will disappear. The same principle applies to larger matters. The English legal philosopher Lord Acton had it right when he said, “That society is the freest which is the most responsible.” The reason is quite simple and quite inexorable: Legal constraint, the opposite of freedom, is in most of its manifestations a cure for irresponsibility. You are all familiar, I hope, with Madison’s famous passage in Number 51 of the Federalist Papers. Madison wrote, “What is government itself, but the greatest of all reflections on human nature. If men were angels, no government would be necessary.” The same can be said of the product of government: Laws. And the constraints upon individuals which those laws establish. Laws step in and will inevitably step in when the virtue and prudence of the society itself is inadequate to produce the needed result. When the society is composed entirely of criminals, only the strict regimentation of a prison will suffice.

If I am right that we are the freest because we are the greatest, the message for your lives should be clear. Do not go about praising the Bill of Rights and the wonderful liberties we enjoy without, at the same time, developing within yourselves and within those whose lives you touch, the virtue that makes all that possible.

you've prob guessed my thoughts several minutes ago now, but i'll say it anyway. It is absolutely a horrific violation of rights for the gov to order citizens not to assemble in observance of their freedom of religion. However, it's incumbent on the rest of us to explain to those nitwits how their irresponsible actions will inevitably lead to the loss of our freedoms. And by explain, I mean someone should beat the ever living #$@% out of that guy.

Not to wade into a legal argument on the internet, but I feel like there's a very important distinction to draw between "Close all the churches" and "Don't have meetings with more than 10 people"

So far as I know, no municipality has advocated actually closing churches or preventing worship - only that large gatherings be skipped. I know that for some people this is a meaningless distinction - attending services is an experience of community as much as of faith, but I would like to think that each of us, faithful and nonbelievers alike, can keep in the front of our minds the necessity to help protect our neighbors.

Paramedics in NY City are no longer transporting people in cardiac arrest to the hospital if they can't restart the heart on the scene.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-nyc-emts-stop-taking-cardiac-arrest-patients-to-hospitals/

Whoa, I don’t know how often hospitals are able to revive of medics can’t but that’s a grim decision for some poor souls to have to make. And what impact will it have on the medics who know they’re the only chance.

I am not sure if this info from Johns Hopkins has been shared yet, but it breaks down some of the science to a point that even I can understand it.
Johns Hopkins University sent this excellent summary:
* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.
* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.
* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.
* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.
* NO BACTERICIDE SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; they cannot kill what is not alive with anthobiotics, but quickly disintegrate its structure with everything said.
* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates).
24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic). But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.
* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.
* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.
* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
* This is super said, but you have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, and when using the bathroom.
* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better. * Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

@taliv said, And by explain, I mean someone should beat the ever living #$@% out of that guy.

I find it interesting that you reference Scalia and then make a statement like that. What you are saying is exactly the opposite of what Scalia was saying and would take society down a dark path where beatings and force would be the norm rather than laws and responsible citizen behavior. That dark path has been tread by Hitler, Stalin and Lenin and many others. It is often that Christians and Christian leaders are the target. I consider violence against a man for his religious beliefs to be one of the most heinous crimes.

Last edited:
you're right. i was exaggerating a bit. sorry. i totally support outsourcing our violence to the gov. we just need a law that says what he did was illegal, then we can point a gun at him and put him in jail. :)

Wife update. Her breathing has gotten slightly labored cough is back. Dr is prescribing an inhaler to see it that helps. Nothing to do but wait and see. She is not bad enough to be in the hospital. Still no test results, day 19. The state has a record of her being sampled.

Wife update. Her breathing has gotten slightly labored cough is back. Dr is prescribing an inhaler to see it that helps. Nothing to do but wait and see. She is not bad enough to be in the hospital. Still no test results, day 19. The state has a record of her being sampled.

Kevin, has no one suggested doing another test? At this point, I would be assuming they just lost it somewhere, rather than they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Kevin, has no one suggested doing another test? At this point, I would be assuming they just lost it somewhere, rather than they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

They will not do another test because she is not symptomatic like she was, and she has not had a positive test result, so they will not do a test to see if she is negative.

Read the first amendment, he did nothing illegal.

Hopefully, this won't get TOO political. I can't think of any of the bill of rights that is so absolute that there aren't legitimate exceptions.

We don't let freedom of the press extend to publishing information that could aid our enemy in wartime. We don't let freedom of religion extend to polygamy.

As I understand it, they haven't BANNED church services. They've just said that all groups need to be ten or less, temporarily.

They will not do another test because she is not symptomatic like she was, and she has not had a positive test result, so they will not do a test to see if she is negative.

Have you considered making some phone calls to your local newspaper or, better yet, your local tv station, see if they are interested in running the story? It's surprising how often the rules get waived when they are getting bad publicity.

Have you considered making some phone calls to your local newspaper or, better yet, your local tv station, see if they are interested in running the story? It's surprising how often the rules get waived when they are getting bad publicity.

We are working towards that. We have tried to reach out to the Gov's office, twice, no luck. State Senator is next.

Back
Top Bottom