Coleman Instant Tent

Fowldarr

Adventurist
Founding Member
Okay, so as my annual trip to Yellowstone was quickly approaching (this weekend), I realized that my family had outgrown my tent, and bringing a second tent is not an option in yellowstone in most campgrounds (very strict rules, your tent will pitch here on this jagged gravel, and only here, nothing part of the tent shall protrude beyond the clearly defined area).

What to do?

I have a nice Kelty 6 person tent that has served me well for the past 6 years. Still in good shape. But we all know that a 6 man tent does not fit 6 men, and definately not two adults and 4 kids.

What to do?

Wal-Mart, not wal-mart, they certainly cannot hold the answer that I seek. Can they?

The Coleman Instant Tent Double Hub

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34761202?...05236581&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=68283898501&veh=sem

Under $200, sleeps 8, and a 1 minute setup time?

Too good to be true, so I go home and research it. By research it, I mean googled it. Overall very good reviews. Good comments on the fabric, one complaint about 'cheap plastic parts' that was very not specific, and several about crappy tent stakes (I have plenty of good ones)

So...I bought it. It is still sitting on my living room floor, has not been set up yet. I will let you all know how it goes.

Ok so I fell for the same easy up gig when Costco ran the 6 person for $99.00. It goes up in a minute plus or minus. That being said putting in back in the bag is not quite as easy but the trick is to leave the windows partially unzipped to let the air out. You'll see what I mean. The original bag expands. If you have a couple of nylon straps to cinch it up things go much easier.

Interesting setup. Have fun in YNP!! I am jealous, it has been a couple of years since we were there in the summer. Seems like I only have time to visit in the dead of winter.

And I never have time to go in the dead of winter...you can come with me next time in the summer, if I can go with you in the winter....

Have a great trip to Yellowstone in your new tent!
I had the 6 man version for the last 3 years, and in general, I liked it. It held up better to the wind than I expected and was certainly easy to pitch. As long as I was careful to pitch it taught so the top angled section of the tent was not loose, I did not have any leaks. In Utah this spring, I was sloppy and the top was a bit loose and water pooled and slowly leaked into the tent, but that is the only time I had leaks. I used a cheap tarp from Harbor Freight under the floor, and the floor held up well over the 3 years, with no noticeable wear. The tent had good ventilation with the top vents, and when not raining, the windows provide tons of air flow. After 3 years of much use, the zippers started failing (separating from each other in the middle), so I replaced it with a Kodiak Canvas Flexbow a few weeks ago.
Again, have a wonderful trip to Yellowstone...I am so jealous!

Yeah, my intent is to upgrade to a spring at or kodiak, but, this was a lot cheaper which was a factor right now. Well I'm off to YNP

husuta3e.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the tent. It went up easy enough once I figured it out. It fits all of us. Definitely wish it breathed better even with the vents open. I have to open the windows a bit to keep it from raining inside.

Anyway, attached a pic of a bison to ride you over.

Amazingly I have reception at old faithful and I'm posting this as I wait for the fam to finish whatever they are doing.

Sent from the ether

I have the Coleman instant dome 5, set up and teardown are quick, goes back in the bag with little effort. I've used it about 5 times so far. Awesome tent, I think it cost me $125 at Dunham's.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404702577.754074.jpg

There it is in allots glory. Nothing impressive, but it worked as intended. We woke up to a bad rap song, 'makin' it rain up in here'. Or maybe just a condensation issue. Other than that, it worked well, put up and take down was simple, fit easily back in the supplied bag. Overall, satisfied. 3 stars.

Two small vents on top, and large windows. We will continue to play with it to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom