Backyard Adventures: Washington!

Following our last trip out to the Darrington, WA area Mike and I couldn't resist a quick weekend get away to try out some of the possible locations that we had scouted out previously.

We both bombed out of work on Friday to our first location, a sand bar on the Sauk river.

IMG_1369.JPG

As you can see the weather was incredible, and with the sun set until 9pm there was plenty of time to setup camp, and for Mike to steam up some of his wonderful crab.

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

Time to tune in to Channel 1.

IMG_1387.JPG

The next morning we struck camp, with plans to explore several Forest Service roads between White Horse and Concrete.

IMG_1382.JPG

The views weren't disappointing, but the roads lead into several active logging areas so we didn't hang around for long.

On Friday night we were camped at about 250 ft above sea level but the camp spot for Saturday was a little higher at 3500 ft.

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

Last edited:
Canada is burning so is Washington!

We headed over the Cascade crest this weekend to meet up with a buddy that lives in BC. HOLY CRAP it was smoky!! If you missed it on the news BC has had some fires burning since June and with the weather and high pressure stagnant over the PNW the smoke was thick.

Friday I headed over highway 20 to meet my buddy Scott in the tiny mountain town of Mazama WA. My buddy Will was to play catch up with us Friday night as he was driving up from Seattle. I love this place! At just under 3 hours from the house it's a great get away. Unfortunately the smoke from the fires really stole the views of the North Cascades. Nonetheless the camp spot along the Methow River just north of Mazama does not disappoint.

Last edited:
The Diamond creek fire, 9500 acres was burning just 18 miles north of us so the smoke was heavy as seen in the pictures. Here in northern WA we've had this smoke haze hanging around for about a week now. But when you plan a trip weeks out and look forward to it you can't bail because of some smoke!!!

Saturday afternoon Will and I hiked up and around Robinson creek. It's just one of the many tributaries to the Methow.

The views were really curtailed due to the smoke so I hope to make it back over to Mazama before late fall but after the smoke clears. The North Cascades are a site to behold!!

Last edited:
I'm in, seriously, let's plan this. Isn't there a NW Expo we could link in ?

The Northwest Overland Rally is held every June near in Leavenworth WA. It would be great jump off point. The only caveat being the previous winters snow fall and full access to all the trails. If you could afford two weeks time in the PNW we could travel a good tour of WA and OR.

Silver City Idaho, Owyhee River, Alvord Desert Trip!!

This really isn’t a Washington backyard trip but more like the back 40!! A few years back my friend Dan came up with the idea of going to see the old silver mining town of Silver City Idaho link that up with some BLM roads and make an effort to cross the Owyhee River at Three Forks then press on over to the Alvord Desert at the foot of Steans Mountain. The plans were made and vacation time booked with work.

I am one that likes to maximize my vacation time and avoid traffic as much as possible so I often will leave work and roll on out to start a trip. I’m sure there are many like me as well with one difference being I work second shift.

Normally I bounce out of work by 7 pm and get away from the city and all its traffic trappings. But this trip proved to be different. I was waiting on a very important aircraft part that absolutely had to be followed to the hanger floor. This was my managers idea not mine. None the less I appeased him ensured the part made it to the hanger floor and I was gone!!! Only problem was it was 10:00 pm Thursday and I needed to be in Boise/Nampa ID by Friday morning.

So I was off and it was a red eye drive to Idaho! My buddies Will and Dan had already departed with Dan already in Boise and Will near Pendleton I needed to make up some serious ground leaving from the Seattle area.

Will had texted that he was taking a break just west of Pendleton and was going to get a nap till I caught up. I made great time and was at the rest area by 2 am Friday morning, we fueled up in Pendleton and by 6 am had arrived in Nampa ID to meet up with Dan. Boy what a long day and the sun was just coming up!!!

At the last minute of trip planning I’d thrown in a side trip to Leslie Gultch. So this would be the first destination.

Last edited:
Leslie Gultch did not disappoint and reminded us all that it looked a little bit like areas in Moab. Dan hand managed to find a goat trail of sorts coming in so instead of the hour and half from Nampa ID it took close to three. It was fun but by the time we arrived it was close to 10 am and I’d been up for 24 hours so we made camp had a few beers and I took a late morning nap!!! This was just day one, man was I beat!!!

So a afternoon of lounging around Leslie Gulch did me well!! Saturday morning we rolled out heading to Silver City ID!!

Silver City is an old mining town that kinda died when the mine wasn’t producing. The city is still alive with full time residents.

http://historicsilvercityidaho.com/

Unfortunately it was open house weekend and was very busy. We enjoyed it none the less. Had lunch in the historic hotel, rolled north of town and camped.

Day three was two weeks ago as of Sunday the first of October. This would be one of the most challenging days of my off roading life.

We rolled out of camp working our way to the Owyhee River, the Three Forks Area. One of the major objectives of this trip was to cross the Owyhee River and follow on to Fields Station OR. Folowing the old stage couch route.

This beauty and ease of access will lul you into a feeling of calm and comfort....

Muscle memory, training, knowledge of equipment and faith in your travel partners will bring you through. To quote Chris Cole from this past May “these guys have your back”. Chris was referring to the I4WDTA trainers that the three of us had the opportunity to train with in Moab.

That being said Will and Dan, “had my back” we are not certified yet but the cool under fire and execution of recovery was professional to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom