Any Bike Mechanics here?

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
EDIT: This bike is FS in the Member Marketplace.

My 2005 Specialized Hard Rock Pro is in need of a new chain, maybe a new cassette and all the usual tweaks a bike like this needs. Wheels trued and maybe even new hubs.

I'm loathe to take it to a "chain" bike shop and would rather give my money to someone local who would do it right - like it was their bike. I also need an honest estimate on cost/benefit of rebuild this warhorse or just buy a 2015.

My wifes 2006 (same bike, LOW miles) eats tubes. I've been through several new tubes and they don't last but one ride and then the next time I look at it it's on flats. Maybe a sharp edge in the rim or something?

Anyone?

Last edited:
I have a great shop, but it is a bit of a drive for you. I got my first high end bike from them when I was 10. Shop is in Chino, called freewheeling, great guys

That's a classic bike that will not be eclipsed by technology unless you have money in your pocket that is spontaneously combusting and you just have to have a 2015 because it's newer. That's akin to saying, "I have a 76 FJ40 in the garage and it really needs an oil change and some new spark plugs... maybe I should just get a new Jeep."

Most everything you want addressed can be easily and cost effectively be replaced, or rebuilt with new bearings and repacked with grease. Stay with what you have.

Nori may have a rough spot on the rim as you suggested or other things. What's the intervals between rides and does it hold air during the ride?

Hey Dave, I can help you take care of all that stuff. MRV might too far away. If we can figure out something before that...??

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe OvEx

I'm all ears.

Tim, the tires seem to hold air initially but next time I get it down off the wall they are toast - long interval between rides but still. I wonder is there a better type of tube to get that's tougher?

Maybe a bike wrench day? Instead of me working on it, I can teach you how along with anybody interested.

Dave, just look for LBS (local bike stores) in your area and visit them to get a feel. There will be a small one, that sells Jamis or Salsa bikes and smells like a bike shop. A major tune up is around $100 (I think, I do it myself) plus parts. Replace the chain and cassette together on a bike this age. (Another $100 or so for XT grade) On your wife's bike, replace the rim strip and the tires (if they are wire beads) I had a wire bead tire once poke a hole on every ride, a broken wire didn't stick out until the pressure was applied while riding, drove me nuts.

I'm all ears.

Tim, the tires seem to hold air initially but next time I get it down off the wall they are toast - long interval between rides but still. I wonder is there a better type of tube to get that's tougher?

Good gouge on posts 6 and 7. Some vendors will offer "tougher, thicker" tubes but that's just snake oil. Like Jay suggests, there's something more insidious going on there and I think he probably nailed the most likely cause. Like Jay, I used to do my own maintenance and it would be nice to get the old Park bike stand out and tear into your ride but alas, the tyranny of distance... but I don't true wheels or practice any of the other dark arts.

Well I got one tire on the wife's bike to hold air, that's a start. Still in repair mode here.

Wheel truing and hub replacement takes a little bit of time particularly the truing part. Not all mechanics are good wheelbuilders. As for myself, I've been building bikes since my early teen bmx days but to this day wheelbuilding is still something I need to work on in especially the truing part :)

As for the tube not holding air, assuming you know how to replace them, next time take the tire and tube off the rim entirely. One trick that I do is to clean the rim then get a piece of cheesecloth or gauge bandage fold it and run on the inside of the rim. Any sharp/rough part will tend to snag the cloth. I would suggest replacing the rim tape as well while your at it. Next do the same with with inside of the tire, clean and run the cloth inside.

The other method is the ol soapy water method to find the hole. Before removing the tube I make a small mark on one the rim and the sidewall (I suggest where the hole for the air valve is for easy reference). Once you deflated it and unseat the bead make another mark on the side of the valve where you made the earlier ones so you know which side of the tube lines up with the other marks. I think you might know by now where I'm going w/ this. Once you find the hole/gash or whatever, just line up the marks and you'll have a better idea where to look for the culprit. Unless its getting pinched when you install it, those are the only tips I can give you. But I would definitely change the rim tapes for sure.

There are newer tubes out in the market that contains that green goop inside. I run tubeless on my mtbs so I personally cannot attest to their reliability. Good luck!

Here are some sites that might help for diy bike repairs/replacement.

http://sheldonbrown.com/
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom