$40 APRS plus Upgrades

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Sorry this has taken so long, I was going to post this about 2 weeks ago, but I have been refining and upgrading. Now that I have the system running I will share. I have been wanting to do an APRS rig in the truck for quite a while and have not had the funds to do it. A couple of weeks ago Derek Shared this video

[video=youtube_share;8-9_8HVkvgc]http://youtu.be/8-9_8HVkvgc[/video]

If you dont want to watch the video, I will sum it up now and give you the details later. In short, you can plug your old cell phone (just needs gps no plan or data) into your cheap radio and have aprs via afsk output to vox input. (details later)

I immediately thought, I am cheap, but I can come up with $30 and I already have a Samsung Galaxy Tab in the truck that I use for navigation. Within a few minutes I was well on my way to the $30 budget for this project by purchasing 2 Baofeng UV5R radios off of Amazon for $30.17 each ($60.34 total)

I already had a 3.5 mm to 3.5mm phono cable and already had APRSDroid so i just had to wait for the delivery..

Since I had time to kill, I went ahead and set up the app. It is pretty simple, for the connection type select AFSK, and pretty much everything else is optional.

When the radios came in I plugged everything together, went into the menu on the radio and set it for a freq step of 2.5, and turned vox on to lvl 10 (what the video recommended) then set the radio to the proper freq of 144.390 Went to APRS droid and hit start tracking. The radio lit up right away telling me it was transmitting so it was off to openaprs.com to see if it worked. To my surprise, I was on the map.

I was very excited, but now I wanted more. I wanted to see other people on the map, not just transmit. This lead me to Google, and lots of reading about parts of APRS I will probably never understand, but I did find the information I needed. APRSDroid will listen, which means I needed to get the audio output of the radio back into the tablet. The problem is the radio uses a 2.5mm phono plug for the speaker and the 3.5 for the mic while the tablet only has one 3.5mm jack. The Tablet and most phones use what is called a TRRS jack (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) That means that it has an extra connection from your standard stereo phono plug so it can do audio output and mic input on one plug at the same time. This means i need to make a cable to get from the single plug on the tablet to the 2 plugs on the radio. So I ordered up a 2 pack of TRRS connectors off of ebay for $5.50 (total now $65.84) and was planning on cutting the plug off of the headset that comes with the radio to make my cable. Then I got lazy so it was back to the internet. My first stop was to Monoprice where I found this. It is designed to split the TRRS plug so you can use headphones and a mic with an ipad. $11.76 with shipping (total $77.60) I happened to have another 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and got a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter from work. Surprisingly it worked, I could see people on my map, and I could transmit.

Again, I celebrated, but this lead me to 2 problems. The first is it looked like this

and in the truck

The second problem is APRSdroid uses Google Maps, but does not have a way to cache the maps, so as soon as I drove away from my wifi, I was seeing people on a blank map.

More reading and I found that this problem has been addressed, and is easily fixed. From the aprsdroid website, you can download a modified apk which allows you to use different map sources, and even links you to free maps that can be used. The instructions are pretty clear on the website so I will just give you the link instead of retyping it. aprsdroid.net/osm

I was now up and running with 2 way communication, a working map and an ugly tangle of cable.

Time for google again which lead me to a video that pointed out some flaws with this setup, and a solution to that flaw that also solves my ugly cable problem. Unfortunately I cant find the video but it basically said that while aprsdroid is listening to receive information it has no problem interrupting the incoming info if it decides it is time to transmit. This makes it unreliable as it is fighting itself, and it is also causing lost information for the entire aprs system. The solution the video suggested is a bluetooth TNC made by http://www.mobilinkd.com/ The TNC itself is $49.95 plus $9.95 for a much shorter cable. With shipping this was $69.90 (total $147.50)

Well, this setup came in today. It is pretty, it is small, and was simple to setup. Turn off vox on the radio, plug cable into radio and TNC. Hit the button and watch the pretty blue light on the tnc flash, then pair up the bluetooth (code 1234) Then in APRSDroid, change the connection from AFSK to Bluetooth, then in connection settings select the mobilink tnc hit start tracking.

The system is running faster, wirelessly, and is getting into the system reliably

The TNC sitting next to the Baofeng UV5R

The tnc "mounted" to the radio

the other view of the "mount" I will probably remove the clip and just velcro it to the back of the radio

One change I would recommend (because I read it) is to change the digipeater path. By default APRSdroid uses WIDE1-1 I changed it to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 and it does seem to work better. There is a lot of really detailed information on what that means, but the site that made it so I understood it was http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths/NNNN-Digi-Demo.htm

Here are some extra photos

Me on the map (KJ6DZZ)

other aprs systems that I am recieving

the connection log showing the "raw data" in and out of the system

Pretty cool. I like the idea of using the old phone, and the I'd not seen the Bluetooth TNC before. That's cooler than the old Serial connector TNCs that have been around forever. Hopefully I can get funding to purchase one as a prototype for a project.

i was lucky to inherit a Kenwood D700 ham radio for use in my Land Cruiser, along with an external Garmin GPS puck. The radio has built-in APRS support and it works great. My wife likes being able to track me when I go to Mountain Rendezvous or whatever for a few days, and there's no annual subscription like there is with say SPOT Messenger.

Thanks for sharing!

Now that I have been playing with this for a couple of days I have noticed something else about the TNC over the cable set up. When on the cables, APRSdroid triggers the vox, makes the transmission, and then the radio holds the vox open to make sure you are actually done. This means that each transmission is probably 3 seconds long. On the TNC it triggers the push to talk does the transmission and shuts off, the transmissions are a second or less. I would think this is good as it opens up the freq for transmissions by other stations.

Pretty happy with this so far. I will update after trying it out at DRV

I did a simple review of this for LandOps a couple of months ago and have used it since December. Works pretty well, although the documentation isn't easy if you aren't technically oriented. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fargq4n81kub62p/MobilinkD Review.pdf. And figuring out how to download the openstreetmap takes an understanding of the file system for android. But for the price, it's a great way to experiment with aprs. I switch back and forth between Backcountry Nav and aprsdroid software, and my Dual GPS drives both, and aprsdroid feeds the Mobilinkd device. Just be see to turn off the TNC when you stop as I understand that it continues to collect data, then floods the aprs system with old data once the radio is turned back on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry this has taken so long, I was going to post this about 2 weeks ago, but I have been refining and upgrading. Now that I have the system running I will share. I have been wanting to do an APRS rig in the truck for quite a while and have not had the funds to do it. A couple of weeks ago Derek Shared this video

[video=youtube_share;8-9_8HVkvgc]

If you dont want to watch the video, I will sum it up now and give you the details later. In short, you can plug your old cell phone (just needs gps no plan or data) into your cheap radio and have aprs via afsk output to vox input. (details later)

I immediately thought, I am cheap, but I can come up with $30 and I already have a Samsung Galaxy Tab in the truck that I use for navigation. Within a few minutes I was well on my way to the $30 budget for this project by purchasing 2 Baofeng UV5R radios off of Amazon for $30.17 each ($60.34 total)

I already had a 3.5 mm to 3.5mm phono cable and already had APRSDroid so i just had to wait for the delivery..

Since I had time to kill, I went ahead and set up the app. It is pretty simple, for the connection type select AFSK, and pretty much everything else is optional.

When the radios came in I plugged everything together, went into the menu on the radio and set it for a freq step of 2.5, and turned vox on to lvl 10 (what the video recommended) then set the radio to the proper freq of 144.390 Went to APRS droid and hit start tracking. The radio lit up right away telling me it was transmitting so it was off to openaprs.com to see if it worked. To my surprise, I was on the map.

I was very excited, but now I wanted more. I wanted to see other people on the map, not just transmit. This lead me to Google, and lots of reading about parts of APRS I will probably never understand, but I did find the information I needed. APRSDroid will listen, which means I needed to get the audio output of the radio back into the tablet. The problem is the radio uses a 2.5mm phono plug for the speaker and the 3.5 for the mic while the tablet only has one 3.5mm jack. The Tablet and most phones use what is called a TRRS jack (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) That means that it has an extra connection from your standard stereo phono plug so it can do audio output and mic input on one plug at the same time. This means i need to make a cable to get from the single plug on the tablet to the 2 plugs on the radio. So I ordered up a 2 pack of TRRS connectors off of ebay for $5.50 (total now $65.84) and was planning on cutting the plug off of the headset that comes with the radio to make my cable. Then I got lazy so it was back to the internet. My first stop was to Monoprice where I found this. It is designed to split the TRRS plug so you can use headphones and a mic with an ipad. $11.76 with shipping (total $77.60) I happened to have another 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and got a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter from work. Surprisingly it worked, I could see people on my map, and I could transmit.

Again, I celebrated, but this lead me to 2 problems. The first is it looked like this

and in the truck

The second problem is APRSdroid uses Google Maps, but does not have a way to cache the maps, so as soon as I drove away from my wifi, I was seeing people on a blank map.

More reading and I found that this problem has been addressed, and is easily fixed. From the aprsdroid website, you can download a modified apk which allows you to use different map sources, and even links you to free maps that can be used. The instructions are pretty clear on the website so I will just give you the link instead of retyping it. aprsdroid.net/osm

I was now up and running with 2 way communication, a working map and an ugly tangle of cable.

Time for google again which lead me to a video that pointed out some flaws with this setup, and a solution to that flaw that also solves my ugly cable problem. Unfortunately I cant find the video but it basically said that while aprsdroid is listening to receive information it has no problem interrupting the incoming info if it decides it is time to transmit. This makes it unreliable as it is fighting itself, and it is also causing lost information for the entire aprs system. The solution the video suggested is a bluetooth TNC made by http://www.mobilinkd.com/ The TNC itself is $49.95 plus $9.95 for a much shorter cable. With shipping this was $69.90 (total $147.50)

Well, this setup came in today. It is pretty, it is small, and was simple to setup. Turn off vox on the radio, plug cable into radio and TNC. Hit the button and watch the pretty blue light on the tnc flash, then pair up the bluetooth (code 1234) Then in APRSDroid, change the connection from AFSK to Bluetooth, then in connection settings select the mobilink tnc hit start tracking.

The system is running faster, wirelessly, and is getting into the system reliably

The TNC sitting next to the Baofeng UV5R

The tnc "mounted" to the radio

the other view of the "mount" I will probably remove the clip and just velcro it to the back of the radio

One change I would recommend (because I read it) is to change the digipeater path. By default APRSdroid uses WIDE1-1 I changed it to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 and it does seem to work better. There is a lot of really detailed information on what that means, but the site that made it so I understood it was http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths/NNNN-Digi-Demo.htm

Here are some extra photos

Me on the map (KJ6DZZ)

other aprs systems that I am recieving

the connection log showing the "raw data" in and out of the system
Is it possible to get this to work with apple gear? I'm one of those guys...

Is it possible to get this to work with apple gear? I'm one of those guys...

Unfortunately, I don't think IOS supports serial over bluetooth, I am an android guy so maybe someone with more experience on the ios side can help. I know there are some APRS apps for the iphone but as far as I know they are updating via the internet and not a radio interface which means you have to have a data connection for it to work. Sorry I can't be of more help on that.

On a good note, Mobilinked recently released an updated bluetooth TNC. I dont really need it, but I am thinking about ordering one up so I can have a set up in the truck and one in the trailer.

i forgot to put the link for the updated TNC2. It can be found HERE

It now comes in a case instead of a bare board. They also have some cases available for the original TNC

upload_2015-8-23_11-45-10.png

Unfortunately, I don't think IOS supports serial over bluetooth, I am an android guy so maybe someone with more experience on the ios side can help. I know there are some APRS apps for the iphone but as far as I know they are updating via the internet and not a radio interface which means you have to have a data connection for it to work. Sorry I can't be of more help on that.

On a good note, Mobilinked recently released an updated bluetooth TNC. I dont really need it, but I am thinking about ordering one up so I can have a set up in the truck and one in the trailer.
Thanks for the info:thumbsup

Thanks for the info:thumbsup
No Problem, something you could do is go on craigslist or ebay and pick up a cheap used android phone and use it just for the aprs. You dont need service on it, just set up your map and aprs app over wifi.

I think my birthday present to myself this year will be a TNC2 and a 2nd baofeng. I'm optimistic I can get this working on the same tablet I'm already using for Nav, etc.

Bringing this back up to add another option to the list of cheap options for APRS:

AVRT5

It's a dedicated APRS Transceiver with a Bluetooth connection for use with APRSDroid. Has a long life battery, but also charges via Micro-USB, and is programmable with a computer via data cable. I have not been a fan of tying up one side of my FTM-350AR for it's built-in APRS functions, so I'm pretty sure I will get one of these.

Looks awesome. I love the self-contained nature of it. I've been wanting to mess with APRS, but like the video said, wasn't too thrilled about a naked TNC type board hanging around. This is on my wishlist now!

dont really need one, but I will add it to my shopping list for a time when the wallet is feeling heavy

I looked at the AVRT5 but ended up buying the TNC2 because I wanted the 4 watts out of the Baofeng instead of the 1 watt out of the self contained unit. The TNC2 is working great so far. Thanks for all of the information in this thread!

I bought a Digitpeter on eBay off of a guy in Texas making them. It is a simple board build to take care of so,e of the home brew issues to plug a Baofeng into IOS or Droid. Played with it on the iPad mini I use for navigation using APRSpro, a triband (8w) baofeng and the little roof mag mount antenna. Worked well although the app I'm using is meh. I'm still slowly building a Raspberry PI based APRS setup using a Rigblaster Plug n Play to my Yaesu. hopefully I'll be done by early 2032 at the rate I'm going.

I happened to be playing on the internet (big surprise) and came across this. There is a new version 3 of the Mobilinkd TNC that is now functional with IOS. It is currently out of stock but says they should have more by Monday. I picked up version 2.2 about a year ago and it is certainly a step up from the original version in the first post.

https://store.mobilinkd.com/collections/frontpage/products/mobilinkd-tnc3

Back
Top Bottom