2024 Toyota Land Cruiser for the US

Per Toyota Instagram they'll be revealing it on August 1.

Screenshot_20230727_071304_Chrome.jpg

“The 2024 Land Cruiser will be built in Toyota Motor Corporation's Tahara and Hino plants in Japan and arrive in the U.S. in the spring of 2024. Manufacturer's suggested retail pricing will start in the mid-$50,000 range and be announced closer to its on-sale date. “

From all the press I've read I'll state my unpopular opinion: It's a 4Runner that starts at $50k.

I get that it carries the iconic name, but it's shaping up to be an expensive 4Runner or a cheap GX. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe Toyota is going out of their way to differentiate this model from the rest of the line up.

From all the press I've read I'll state my unpopular opinion: It's a 4Runner that starts at $50k.

I get that it carries the iconic name, but it's shaping up to be an expensive 4Runner or a cheap GX. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe Toyota is going out of their way to differentiate this model from the rest of the line up.

Not true at all. It only uses the same frame, driveline, engine, suspension as the Tacoma plus shares the wheelbase of the 4Runner and an almost similar layout. But it's a Land Cruiser, right? :sarcasm

kidding aside, I’m interested if they really overbuild the vehicle to “even African war zones can’t break this” standards like the LC nameplate is known for, or if this is the end of the line. I’m also concerned with the hybrid power plant. I’m hoping it is the answer to the terrible 3.5 but doesn’t sacrifice longevity and durability.

Last edited:

I think they are currently working on making the lineup make more sense than it did. 2 Toyota fullsize SUVs, and a Lexus version too, didn't make sense. Decades ago, the Land Cruiser became an expensive bloated luxo barge that didn't sell. Much of it's direction was a huge departure from it's original legacy. I'm happy to see the LC getting priced where people will actually use them, rather than being a $90k status symbol. That's as embarrassing as the G-Wagon's path. Being dependable rugged transport that actually gets used, should be its real legacy.

I'm guessing the 4runner sees a redesign that brings things back into perspective. I'm personally hoping that we see a true Wrangler/Bronco competitor with a removable top. I think a lot of folks would enjoy that. Though, I've never been one for turning the inside of my vehicle into a sugar cookie.

The 1st Gen 4Runner (Surf) was such a cool truck. I still kick myself for selling my ‘88 SR5 20RE 5-spd…

It would be really really cool if Toyota took the 4Runner back to its roots as well.

Yeah. With a removable top.
D7S_0809.png

I would like to know the payload difference between the Land Cruiser and GX 550. The Land Cruiser would have a smaller 4 cylinder engine, 8 speed transmission but the battery pack versus the TTV6 10 speed transmission and luxury sound deadening.

I would like to know the payload difference between the Land Cruiser and GX 550. The Land Cruiser would have a smaller 4 cylinder engine, 8 speed transmission but the battery pack versus the TTV6 10 speed transmission and luxury sound deadening.

I'm interested in the 1958 version. Sure, having disconnecting front sway bar would be nice but its seems like it would have less bloat and thus a higher payload than the rest.

Tundra 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6 i-FORCE MAX
https://www.wardsauto.com/2022-10-b...ppreciate-toyota-s-civilized-beast-powertrain

Unfortunately you’ll be hard pressed to buy any version without a $5-10K ADM…

I think the best way around that is to let the pressure release during the first year of availability. Perhaps second year inventory won’t be as coveted.

On a side note, I saw a really nice T-100 today. I was taken back to when it first came out, and how disappointed I was when I finally sat in one at the dealership.

I’m seeing a lot of the same sentiment online for the new Land Cruiser. It will be interesting to actually see one in the flesh.

I’m seeing a lot of the same sentiment online for the new Land Cruiser. It will be interesting to actually see one in the flesh.

The LC fan base is pretty much like the Star Wars fan base. It will never be as good as the versions that came out in the 70's and 80's but if made today exactly as it was then it would be sub-par. Perfect for it's time at that time.

Back
Top Bottom