2018 Honda CB500X

@richard310 Funny thing about the Givi Crashbars. Ovr here in the V Strom world, many complain about the same thing. Also, I'm digging the Eagles license plate frame!

@DocSalvage Twin cylinder engine really balances out the vibes. Also, Grip puppies work well.

Last edited:
Highly recomend a CyclePump.

"LIFETIME WARRANTY. That’s not a misprint. We mean it. Lifetime. If it breaks, we fix it. If you wear it out, we fix it."
Everyone I've ever met that's bought one of these raves about it. I determined that when the little Slime portable pump I had wore out I'd replace it with one of these. 15+ years later my little Slime pump is still going. I'll buy one eventually I guess....

richard310

Adventurist
Author
My little Slime pump got crushed and broken during my trip down to DRV earlier this year. I replaced it with a DynaPlug Micro Inflator unit. It's tiny size and decent quality sold me.

I've used it a few times already and I'm digging it so far.

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
I bought this one five years ago. It was on the GS 1200 and F800 GS when they got totaled. It went to Australia and Idaho for solar rendezvous with me. And numerous bike drops.

I'm going to start carrying it again on the Tacoma. This would be much easier to use to pressurize the WaterPort then dragging out the larger compressor I use to air back up.

IMG_20200602_225835.jpg

richard310

Adventurist
Author
Since I haven't updated this thread in awhile, we'll do a quickie:

I've been commuting on the bike during this whole COVID-19 madness, and also during these recent protests and rioting. Luckily I don't pass through any hot spot areas in the Southern California area. Since the last trip to DRV, I did a reassessment of camping supplies and a possible swap-out of equipment. The biggest issue were the Rally Raid pannier racks which are more or less unsupported laterally so they do bounce a lot with this current setup with the Mosko Scout bags. I have been looking at an SW Motec rack system which has cross support bars and more properly setup for this configuration, which I do prefer over the hanging Rally Raid system. Also, the rear Rally Raid tail rack has stress cracks from being overloaded and a lot of up and down movement, so that will end up either tossed, or sent out for free to someone who'd want to fix it. With that being said, time and priorities will tell when I make the change for the rack system, but will be an eventuality.

Maintenance was due at about 11k miles, specificially the chain and sprockets. I replaced the OEM setup with a DID 520VX3 chain and OEM sized rear SuperSprox and Vortex front sprocket.

0327201819b_HDR.jpg

0327201708a_HDR.jpg

0327201819a_HDR.jpg

0327201819_HDR.jpg

April 2020:

I did have a chance to meet up with a few friends who had just got into the offroad world with Lexus GX470's, so we decided to hit the dirt up in Big Bear, CA along 2N02. It turned out to be a full day's trip but a good one to get the bike on the dirt again. Trip report here: https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/a-quick-day-tripper-up-to-big-bear-ca.7381

The OEM suspension re-emphasized its colors being very limited, low to the ground and terribly sprung. The skid plate did it's job once again.

DSC_6660a.JPG

Things still on the to-do list and updates:

My left turn signal is still broken so I've been looking at replacing all the signals with LED units. It should slim up the giant DOT style ambers, but also give out more light.

I need to replace my OEM windscreen with the same Givi one that I broke from closing my garage door on.

Level 2 Rally Raid suspension is still on the radar and so are their wired 19"/17" wheels.

I am looking at getting a better antenna for the Kenwood 2M radio, possibly another Diamond NMO setup, same as my Xterra since HT are typically terrible with reception.

The MotoZ Tractionator GPS and Continental TKC80s have been doing great on commuting duties. Plenty of grip in the dry and even wet, and excellent wear so far on tarmac.

Until next time... hopefully I can squeeze in a Holcomb Valley trail run on the bike soon as I've been planning prior to these protests... and maybe even a quick overnighter in Big Bear at a Yellow Post.

richard310

Adventurist
Author
I bought this one five years ago. It was on the GS 1200 and F800 GS when they got totaled. It went to Australia and Idaho for solar rendezvous with me. And numerous bike drops.

I'm going to start carrying it again on the Tacoma. This would be much easier to use to pressurize the WaterPort then dragging out the larger compressor I use to air back up.

View attachment 51840

That's a nice looking unit, and well protected with those large bumpers on either end. I'll have to take a gander at that if/when the DynaPlug takes a dump.

Top Bottom