2017 KLR 650 Build

Reminds me of the Jeep Liberty's, they had a 10 pound weight added to the rear differential to reduce harmonics in the drivetrain.

I bought a brand new '05 F150 that had a wicked shake in the rear at 55mph. After several attempts at fixing it (balance wheels, new tires, replace drive shaft, service rear diff) the dealer's service manager recommended I either drive with more weight in the bed or weld steel plates to the frame above the rear axle. I opted to have them take the truck back and I got a new one.

How to tell when @Dave has caught up reading a thread. :D

Screenshot_20171125-001812.png

Finished up the bracket, mounted the lights, wired everything up and got them aimed. Just in time to fly to Dallas and work until Christmas. :mad:

6BAC6A6D-772F-4246-84B1-7CB0735FCA18.jpeg

Temperatures here in North GA were expected to get in the upper 50's today. With that incoming heat wave and a clear blue sky it was high time to pull the KLR out of the garage and hit the road. Left the house this morning with temps in the low 30's so the winter gear was a must. I was toasty warm as I pushed North on GA 255 toward Lake Burton. I didn't encounter any traffic other than the occasional bovine herd.

IMG_20180209_094534.jpg

Stopped to admire some of the North Georgia mountains and debated doing a little off road riding in the higher elevations.

IMG_20180209_095421.jpg

Instead of working up a sweat off road I decided I'd stick to the back roads and headed down 356 toward Helen with the intent of running some well maintained dirt roads north of town. Just past Unicoi State Park I passed a group of riders heading the other direction. A KLR, a FJR and a Vstrom make for an interesting group...especially when the KLR is leading. I decided to turn around and see if I couldn't meet this eclectic group. After chasing them back over towards Batesville, around lake Burton and into Clayton we finally stopped at Wendy's. After introductions and a brief summary of where they were headed for the day I decided to join them and we proceeded to run some of the very best motorcycle roads that North Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina have to offer. This group pushed along at a pretty good clip so no pictures were taken, but a little over 200 miles later I'd booked an excellent day of riding. Ignore that straight line between Clayton and Highlands...someone forgot to turn the GPS back on after a fuel stop...

2-9-2018.jpg

One of the best parts of riding this area of the country? The fun elevation changes.

elevation.jpg

I do need to figure out why my GPS thought I was going 6839 mph at one point though...

Today was maintenance day. We're going to talk about changing oil and adjusting chains now...if this isn't your cup of tea skip this post. I'm putting it here more as a record for myself so when I think to myself "Hey, when did I change the oil last?" I'll have an answer. Maybe some new KLR owner will find a bit of wisdom here too...

Alright, let's change some oil.

Step one, after warming up the engine grab the proper size socket and get that bolt out of the drain hole. What size socket you ask? Who cares, we're replacing it so I don't remember...when in doubt grab what's in the stock tool kit (17mm). Just prior to doing this you should remember you threw away all the drain pans from your motocross days. This means cutting up a milk carton to catch the old oil.

IMG_20180323_095027.jpg

If you also take off the oil filler cap on the other side you'll get a nice stream like this and it'll drain faster. The KLR likes to hang on to it's dirty oil so if you're working off the kickstand like me you'll need to rock the ol' girl back and forth to get as much out as possible. If you're working off a center stand I hate you because I haven't ordered one yet.

Once all that dirty oil is out it's time to prep the replacement bolt. I went with a Tusk magnetic drain bolt. We can argue the snake oil properties of a magnetic drain bolt all day long but I've always run them.

IMG_20180323_095109.jpg

Why replace the stock bolt? Because it's extra thick, that's why. The stock bolt hangs down just low enough that with the stock skid plate it can easily be sheared off while off road. Even with my aftermarket plate it hung just low enough that I had to be mindful for the last thousand miles that it was dangling down there in the breeze. This Tusk plug is lower profile and tucks up nicely to the oil pan well out of harms way. If it's getting sheared off you've got much bigger problems as most of the lower frame would need to go first.

IMG_20180323_095959.jpg

This Tusk bolt also has a very deep well for the allen wrench to seat into. If you're buying something else keep an eye on how deep or shallow your chosen replacement is. Too shallow and it's easy for an allen wrench to start rounding it off.

IMG_20180323_095636.jpg

Torque that down to 21 ft*lbs or hand tight and then just a little more (Older models are 17 ft*lbs). Make sure you have the crush washer on there first.

Old oil out it's now time to pull the oil filter. This is especially important during the first oil change since the engine has been breaking itself in and spitting little bits of metal out everywhere. The KLR is actually designed to bypass the filter if it clogs so if you leave a dirty filter in there too long you'll start cycling dirty oil, that could be very bad with the metal that's in this particular change.

Grab an 8mm socket and pull the two bolts on holding the cover on.

IMG_20180323_100121.jpg

Hmmm...maybe wash off the engine first too...

Gently rock the cover back and forth by hand while pulling outward to get it to release. This will take a bit of work and practice especially if the bike is new. Don't pry this off with anything as the metal is soft and you could easy damage the housing and cause an oil leak. If you absolutely have to pry use something soft...like plastic. You'll eventually be rewarded with a view of the filter and more oil gushing down the side of the engine and pooling on your skid plate. Have a rag ready.

IMG_20180323_100358.jpg

Pull the old filter and check it for damage. If the filter element is torn or chunks are missing you might have to do some serious surgery to see what's going on in the engine. This is very rare though, chances are you're going to have an old filter and a new filter that are identical other than their color...

IMG_20180323_100612.jpg

The old filter will have a delivery tube inside that you'll need to press out by hand. Once out check it for any unusual wear and tear, coat it in some new clean oil and press it into the new filter. The large hole goes to the outside of the engine with the indexed end (left side in the photo below) going into the pickup tube inside the filter housing.

IMG_20180323_100652.jpg

IMG_20180323_100732.jpg

IMG_20180323_100735.jpg

It doesn't matter how you insert it into the filter, just how the entire assembly goes back in the bike. You actually can't put it in wrong as the cover won't go back on if you try to put it in backwards....at least not without a lot of pushing and causing more damage.

Before putting the assembled filter back in check the housing for any debris and unusual wear and tear. You should also clean the area where the housing sits up against the engine to ensure a good seal and so that no debris gets back into the filter housing.

IMG_20180323_100743.jpg

Then like an inexperienced kid after prom just shove that thing back in there, making sure the indexed end goes in the hole at the back of the housing (you see that hole up there in the picture right?)

IMG_20180323_100819.jpg

Now inspect the cover for damage or debris, especially the rubber gasket that makes the seal. The newer KLR's have a much better gasket than the first gens. On my 05 that gasket would regularly fall off and get filthy on the floor, this gasket is molded into the cover quite well...hope I never need to replace it.

IMG_20180323_100852.jpg

Smear that with some new oil too before putting it back on.

Now remember those two 8mm bolts we removed? Time to put those back on...but first you have to find the one that dropped into the old dirty oil. Magnetic pick up thingy to the rescue! Those bolts are 69 in*lbs....that's INCH POUNDS. If you try to get to 69 foot pounds you're going to have a bad day.

IMG_20180323_101104.jpg

Time to add the new oil. I'm not going to discuss oil here as that's a deep rabbit hole from which there is no return. It's a KLR...it'll probably run for 6000 miles using grape jelly as oil...buy whatever oil you want and dump it in there. At some point after 2015 they changed the sump size on the KLR's. Forever and a day they've religiously held 2.5 quarts of oil. For some reason they now use 1.8 - 1.9 quarts for an oil change where you don't change the filter or 2.0 to 2.1 quarts if you do change the filter.

Guess what? Who cares, you have a window to tell you when it's full. Dump a quart in there without even watching...you know it's using at least a quart. It'll move up the window just a little...like this:

IMG_20180323_102033.jpg

We're shooting for getting right at that top line etched into the engine cover to the right of that little window. Start pouring the 2nd quart in there, a little slower this time, and as you get about 2/3's of the quart poured in pull on the handle bar so the bike is standing up level. You'll need to balance the bike like this and slowly add the last bit of oil until you get right to the top of the window. Unless you're working off a center stand in which case you don't have to balance anything and I hate you.

This is roughly what we're shooting for:

IMG_20180323_102048.jpg

If you overfill it by just a bit it's not the end of the world but with my OCD I'd drain some and try again. You do what you want with your bike. This should also be the level of oil you're looking for each time you take the bike out for a ride. If you start seeing that level drop over time the bike is drinking oil and you need to find it a support group before that becomes an addiction. Or...carry oil with you and live with your bike's habit, whatever works for you. The oil will only show this level when the engine has had time to cool and the oil settles in the pan. If you've just ridden for 200 miles on a warm summer day a bunch of that oil will be coating important stuff on the inside of the engine and the window won't give you an accurate measurement. Don't top off the oil when the engine is warm using the window as a guide...you'll over fill it.

Now clean the filler cap, make sure it's rubber o-ring is in place and damage free and throw it back on (hand tight and then a little more).

IMG_20180323_101348.jpg

Look at that..we've changed the oil! Toss the old drain plug in the on board tool kit as a spare and be sure to add the allen wrench that matches the new plug to the kit as well.

Moving on to chain maintenance. The OEM chain that comes on the bike is garbage. 1000 miles on this bike with regular cleaning and oiling and mine is already wearing out. I'm going to squeeze a few more miles out of it. I suspect it'll do another 400 - 500 before it'll bother me enough to change it.

What I'm looking at today is chain flex (or play, slack, tension....whatever term you want to use). On older KLR's the chain needed to move a little over an inch (I think it was 1.5 inches) to be considered the proper tension. The newer bikes are different and include a dummy sticker.

IMG_20180323_102507.jpg

1.4 to 1.8 inches. That's the most Japanese thing I've ever heard. Let's just round that out to 1 1/2 inches to 1 3/4 inches and be done with it. I'm shooting for 1 3/4 inches because I prefer running the chain a little looser. I'm a big dude by KLR standards (6' 3" 240lbs) and if I come down hard I want to make sure as the swing arm moves up and the suspension compresses I'm not putting undue pressure on the drive sprocket and shaft by pulling the chain too tight. I ride my KLR's hard. If you're staying mostly on the street and you're of a smaller persuasion then you might want to go a little tighter.

To measure the chain slack I lock a tape measure out and place it in front of the chain 1/2 way between the two sprockets. Pull it down to get the bottom measurement and then push it up to get the top reading. Be sure you're measuring outside to outside (or inside to inside, center to center..whatever as long as it's the same) otherwise you're factoring in the width of the chain and your measurement will be wrong. This must be done with the bike on the kickstand (suck it you center stand guys!)

IMG_20180323_102511.jpg

My chain was too loose. When I pushed it up it was making contact with the swing arm. So how do we fix this? BIG sockets! Grab a pair of needle nose pliers and a 27mm socket...you have one of those right? An adjustable wrench will do the trick too. On the right side of the rear axle pull the cotter pin out and then use the 27mm socket to loosen the castle nut.

IMG_20180323_102854.jpg

With the castle nut loose give the axle bolt a gentle tap to release any tension on the wheel bearings in the hub. Now you can loosen the locking bolts on the adjusters on each side of the swing arm (12mm I think) and use the adjustment bolts to push the axle backwards to increase tension (and remove slack) from the chain.

If you need to decrease tension (add slack) to the chain you'd do the opposite but have to push the axle forward since it won't follow the adjustment bolts as you turn them. I do this by holding onto the luggage rack and giving the rear tire a gentle love tap forward with my sizeable foot. The swing arm has indexed lines on each side above the axle housing so that you can make sure each side is lined up evenly. This is the motorcycle equivalent of an alignment. Too far out of whack and you'll get odd tire wear, poor traction, unusual chain and sprocket wear and possible component failure.

IMG_20180323_103324.jpg

Just make sure the little lines on the left side of the bike match the little lines on the right side of the bike. When you're happy lock down the adjustment bolts by tightening those 12mm nuts back against the swingarm (hand tight and then 1/4 turn...how are you going to get a torque wrench on there?) Tighten the castle nut back down to 70 ft*lbs, reinstall the cotter pin (or replace it). Be careful not to over torque this nut as the added pressure can cause damage to the wheel bearings and, while cheap, they're a huge pain in the arse to press out and reinstall.

Small adjustments and then rechecking things is the key here. I had to move the rear axle 1.6mm to take out the extra slack I had. Very small adjustment got rid of an extra 1/4 of play. While you're playing in the floor down here inspect the brakes and the rear master cylinder and double check all the fasteners on the luggage rack. When you finish up clean and oil the chain and take the bike out for a ride to check for any odd vibrations or noises. Relish in the fact that you're now well on the way to being a motorcycle mechanic (who specializes in oil changes and chain adjustments on KLR 650's).

So it's sunny and 73 today in NE Georgia. A perfect day for cleaning up the yard, pressure washing the upstairs deck and cleaning up the garage.

HA! Forget that, let's go riding!

Distance: 89.41 Miles
Duration: 4hrs 27min

map.jpg

speed.jpg

altitude.jpg

Things are starting to warm up here. It was fun last week to drive from Houston back to Georgia and slowly watch Spring (which is over in Texas) slowly vanish as we progressed through the states on the way home. We're just starting to see the first blooms on the dogwood trees here and leaves are slowly starting to appear in the lower elevations.

IMG_20180412_172701.jpg

I headed out the door set on riding up Wildcat Rd. This is a local FS road that has some excellent fishing and camping. It used to be a pretty well kept secret with most Atlanta fishermen heading to Tate City instead. But using the power of the internet people have begun flocking here in droves. I saw no less than 10 vehicles on this road where you could once camp for days without seeing another person.

Today's ride was interesting as the FS has been doing prescribed burns for the last week or so to prevent the forest fires we've seen over the last couple of years. This made for some interesting landscape to ride through.

IMG_20180413_104121.jpg

For the first 1/3 of the road you follow along Wildcat Creek and there are some nice water features and some great trout fishing in many of the deep holes. I'll refrain from giving away the good spots, but they're out there on the internet already...

IMG_20180413_104252.jpg

IMG_20180413_104531.jpg

IMG_20180413_104301.jpg

For the most part this gravel road is Prius approved and I saw a wide variety of vehicles out and about today. I rolled along watching for suicidal cars around blind corners and made it up to Sliding Rock. This is a horrible place to catch trout and an even worse place to slide down the rock into the pool below during the summer. You certainly shouldn't visit here and do either of those things.

IMG_20180413_104855.jpg

The further up the road you go the closer the water gets to the elevation of the road. During really heavy rains this can get exciting.

IMG_20180413_105508.jpg

There are two established campgrounds on Wildcat. This is the lower one, it won't open for another month or so but the camp host has already parked their camper. Being a camp host somewhere remote is one of my retirement plans.

IMG_20180413_105610.jpg

After the second campground (which had multiple people in it) you start to gain elevation as you head toward Addis Gap. The prescribed burns were prevalent out here and made for some interesting contrast. There are a number of dispersed campsites out here as well.

IMG_20180413_110250.jpg

Following the narrow trail in the background will take you to the top of the ridge to another site which is great during the summer as you get a nice breeze coming over the ridge. Today it was very different looking than normal.

IMG_20180413_110512.jpg

IMG_20180413_110453.jpg

IMG_20180413_110306.jpg

Still a few hot spots out there burning out. I used to be able to ride all day without stopping...I guess I'm getting old as I stopped several times to help put a couple of these spots out naturally.

IMG_20180413_110536.jpg

I can't wait for leaves and the shade of the canopy but this was certainly cool too.

IMG_20180413_110549.jpg

Cont'd...

map.jpg

If you keep going down Wildcat you'll eventually find my nemisis...locked gate. There's a little parking area here and it's a 1 mile walk up to the Appalachian Trail from here.

IMG_20180413_111818.jpg

There are some good primitive sites up this way as well, but of course people are dead set on ruining them.

IMG_20180413_112215.jpg

I had just passed a FS truck pulling a trailer coming down from here. They were picking up some of the heavy equipment being used to control the burn. Why they didn't haul the mattress remnants out I'll never know. Guess I'll have to get up there with the Sequoia at some point.

Enjoy your National Forest...and PICK UP YOUR TRASH. That quickly became the theme for the day.

IMG_20180413_113131.jpg

I headed back down Wildcat and out to 197 that skirts around Lake Burton. This used to be a wonderful motorcycle road until several years ago when the state patched it with that nasty tar/gravel combo. It looks like most the loose gravel has been kicked away and this road is much faster than it has been the last few years. This will probably cause an increase in moto traffic this summer, I'll certainly be on it more. From here I took 76 toward Hiawassee and then dropped back down toward Helen so that I could find Mill Creek road which is what's behind that locked gate up there. I was curious how close you could get to Addis Gap on that side.

After turning on Mill Creek road I was greeted by a familiar sight.

IMG_20180413_122228.jpg

Who the hell hauls mattresses out here?! Just one more pile of trash I can't fit on a motorcycle. This was at the entrance to a great little spot that would accommodate 2 or 3 vehicles and several tents right on the creek. A beautiful camp site.

IMG_20180413_122440.jpg

There are three established fire rings and the one at the east end of the site sits right next to a deep hole in the creek. I'm guessing it's probably 4 foot to the bottom and would be awesome during the summer. @Twin Magnolias we need to get up here sometime, the kids would love it.

IMG_20180413_122931.jpg

IMG_20180413_122941.jpg

IMG_20180413_122914.jpg

IMG_20180413_122516.jpg

IMG_20180413_122449.jpg

IMG_20180413_123204.jpg

The more I walked around taking in the surroundings the angrier I got though...Do you see it?

IMG_20180413_123011.jpg

You'll certainly see it here:

IMG_20180413_123607.jpg

IMG_20180413_123423.jpg

Someone had used a little bushcraft ingenuity to create a pot holder to heat up their...cat food? I don't know.

IMG_20180413_123834.jpg

I gathered up the can and then used the stick to pick up more trash...

IMG_20180413_123928.jpg

Nature has no need for your underwear and shorts folks.

I've got to start packing trash bags. Perhaps a motorcycle version of the Trasharoo is in order?

IMG_20180413_124021.jpg

So now I've got a side
case full of beer cans, underwear and ants. Great. You know what this kind of garbage causes? It causes the other theme of the day:

IMG_20180413_130429.jpg

IMG_20180413_124952.jpg

IMG_20180413_130302.jpg

IMG_20180413_131740.jpg

IMG_20180413_125335.jpg

I did find an open gate though (this one is closed seasonally and typically opens Mid-march...plus, WATER!

IMG_20180413_131352.jpg

A great ride. Now I need to go hit that honey do list before the wife comes home...

I talked this sweet little German thing into flying from Colorado to North Carolina just in time for ARV. Probably helps that I paid to get her here.

Heidenau K76.

IMG_20181022_132329.jpg

Let's talk about my doohickey. Or more specifically my bikes doohickey. This is the affectionate term that KLR aficionados have given to the cam chain tensioner. On Gen1 bikes (pre-2008) this little part was cast in two pieces and had a tendency to break and go rattling around inside the engine. If it didn't break, then the spring that provided the tension was virtually useless right from the factory and provided little to no tightening of the cam chain. This resulted in noisy engines at best and exploded engines at worst.

In 2008 Kawasaki moved to a single cast piece tensioner and ended the doohickey debate once and for all. :rolleyes: Or not. The internet was still rife with people claiming it had broken in two or that the spring was providing no tension. As the years wore on the consensus has settled on the new tensioner being a reliable part, but that darn spring still needs to be changed after a while.

Knowing this I bought the parts to swap the tensioner and install a different spring when I got the bike but have been putting it off until cold weather rolled in and I wouldn't be riding. The other night I decided it was time to tackle this. I'm not adding anything new to this process but wanted to note the issues I ran into on a 2017 bike as there's not a lot of documentation out there for the newer models.

Here's a good run down on what's happening:

Overall process:

A little more detail:

So for those of you that don't want to watch a video detailing replacing a part on a bike you don't own, here's the basics:

Pull the left side cover.
Pull the rotor bolt.
Pull the starter gears and rotor.
Pull the inner side cover.
Pull the tensioner lever and spring.
Drill a hole.
Install new spring and tensioner lever.
Put it all back together.

Easy enough. Here's the issues I ran into on a 2017.

First up there's a specialty wrench manufactured by Eagle Mike to hold the rotor in place while you remove or reinstall the rotor bolt. There's ways of making a diy version of this and the community passes these things around to help one another out. I bought a new one and found it to be too long for how I intended to use it. I wanted to brace it on my crash bars, but it wouldn't clear the radiator. I broke out a cut off wheel and took an inch off the end of the wrench solving the problem. Hard to tell here but the wrench (big aluminum thing) is hitting the radiator:

IMG_20190203_170235.jpg

After getting into the inner case I found that the spring still had a good amount of tension (it is practically brand new after all) but was rubbing on the inner housing damaging the spring and housing. This certainly would have caused a premature failure of the spring and then I would have had little bits of metal floating around in the engine. Not good.

IMG_20190203_175813.jpg

IMG_20190203_175835.jpg

I pulled this apart and drilled the hole for the new torsion spring. The Gen2's look a little different here and I had a hard time finding a picture for an example. The instructions are to drill the hole at 5:30 in relation to the adjustment shaft hole. Probably should have cleared the shavings away before taking a photo:

IMG_20190203_180451.jpg

Then I put the inner casing back on and went to install the new adjustment lever from Eagle Mike. Old (darker) vs new (lighter):

IMG_20190204_110303.jpg

I'd done this install on my '05 and had helped others do their's without any problems in the past. This time however the new lever just didn't fit right. It's like it was 1/2 a mm too tall and it kept sticking on the inner casing and not tensioning the chain properly. There might have been some issues with how this was machined as there were some ridges on the top of the lever:

IMG_20190204_110451.jpg

I set to work with a steady hand, some clamps and the dremel and ended up taking off about .2mm of material across the arch of the lever. I did my best to knock down those ridges as well:

IMG_20190204_111202.jpg

After doing this the lever moved freely as it should. I installed the torsion spring and put it all back together:

IMG_20190203_232531.jpg

Does it work? I don't know...I'm ignoring a conference call and typing this at the moment. When the call is over I'll button the bike back up and try it out. If you don't hear from me again it's because it exploded. :D

Back
Top Bottom