2016 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
dave 2 people in my party of 4 might have to show up late. i know i cant have an extra vehicle in the camp. would it be ok for them to leave their vehicle out of camp and i pick them up and bring them in later on?

Figured I would put this here instead of starting another thread.

Disclaimer: I am having some battery/charging issues right now but should have it sorted out in the next day or two and shouldn't affect my attendance.

Depending on interest I am considering a Saturday trail run on a few trails east of Big Bear lake and not too terribly far from camp.

I am considering Gold Mountain and Jacoby Canyon, then crossing the 18 to Smarts Ranch Road down to Heartbreak Ridge/Pontiac Loop and back out 2N01 to the 38 north of camp. We could stop into town on the way to Gold Mtn for gas, food and coffee. There is a bit of ground to cover so we should get a fairly early start, maybe 9:00 or earlier?

Requirements:
Reliable high clearance 4wd with low range transfer case
All terrain tires
Preferably some form of locker
Full-ish tank of gas (there will be an opportunity to fill up in town before Gold Mtn).
Lots of water (minimum one gallon per person plus some for the vehicle).
Paper map(s) in addition to GPS.

Would be nice to have some form of trail comms. Ham would be preferable. I do not have a CB. I have an extra handheld ham radio that someone can use for monitoring if needed. Cell service will be hit and miss. We could have lunch on Jacoby or Pontiac depending on timing. May want to pick up an adventure pass if you don't already have one, although no plans to stop and "recreate" other than eat lunch.

Attached is the GPS track if you want to load it into your device.

More info on these trails are here:
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Gold_Mountain_Trail
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Jacoby_Canyon
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Heartbreak_Ridge

If you are interested, look for me in camp on Friday.
IMAG0124.jpg

Attachments

• MR2016_dist.gpx
    113.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Frank, I'm down. Will bring the kit, and this will be the perfect excuse to put the wife/kid to bed and stay up. (Usually I plan to do some shooting but end up just crawling into bed too!)

@sdnative Depending on how the trail run Brett is running is looking I may be down for Gold Mtn, etc. I'll be in a red '85 Bronco. I have a hard-mounted 2M radio as well as a few baofeng HTs if someone needs a loaner.

Thanks for following up on this for me but it turns out I'm pretty sure I will make part or all of the event this year. I sent a bit more details via text. Thanks, btw.
Glad you will make it Doug.. looking forward to seeing the runner with its new lift, in person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Good morning! I know that the event is full and we wouldn't be able to make it for the entire weekend anyways because the hubby is working Saturday, but could we just stop by Sunday morning to say Hi and introduce ourselves?

Good morning! I know that the event is full and we wouldn't be able to make it for the entire weekend anyways because the hubby is working Saturday, but could we just stop by Sunday morning to say Hi and introduce ourselves?

That should be fine, but we will need the Hold Harmless Agreement that can be found in the first post here

REMINDER

Please read through post 1 even if you have already read it, answers to just about everything event related can be found there.

Bring a copy of your Hold Harmless Agreement (found in post 1) and your $40 Boy Scout Donation. Exact change helps move things along quicker.

Gate will open at noon on Friday, please don't sneak in early. There is a small turnout across the street where you can stage without blocking the street.

At this point we are still a go for campfire and charcoal in the main fire ring only, Propane fire pits are good in individual camp sites

Feel free to camp wherever, but be aware of saplings in the meadow area.

Also please keep speeds slow in camp both to keep dust to a minimum and there is always a lot of Kids and Dogs in camp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom