1979 Toyota Pick up Turbo Diesel

DieselRunner

Adventurist
This thread is intended to educate anyone interested in the OM617 Turbo Diesel swaps. Most importantly, I will illustrate my process in the hopes it will encourage anyone thinking about doing the swap.
So let's get the basics listed. 1979 Toyota Pick up Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel. 5Speed W56A manual trans w/twin stick transfer case. I am currently using a long runner intake and stock T3 turbo. Running 17psi max boost. Stock motor settings otherwise. Stock rear end, I want to say 4.38 gears off the top of my head and 33" tires w/1" spacers. Its light and quick 27+ mpg and good top speed. Haven't maxed it out yet. 85mph is a breeze though.
I have only had this truck since June of 2017. I put a new 6puck ceramic clutch in it. My goal for the truck is 30+mpg and 100mph ability. I want it light and rugged for camping and daily driving. I will be looking to drive down south and out west a couple times per year of course. The body is all original and rust free. It came with a Budbuilt cross member for the w56 trans. Originally the radiator was in the rear toolbox. I had very good results w/the gen 2 v6 radiator on my 94 swap so I used the same set up on the 79 and moved the rad up front. Truck has 3" lift springs which is fine for me. Its a solid axle truck so the ride could be better. I plan on putting new shocks in this year. The goal this year is to get it reliable and consistent. Do all the maintenance and its probably time for new tires. I plan on minimizing the bed. I will probably make an over the cab tube frame and use a humvee roof rack for the bed. I will have to store the original bed in the garage I guess. Pics coming soon.

My daily driver. When there is no road salt.

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-30-44.png

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-30-32.png

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-30-22.png

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-29-47.png

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-30-12.png

Under the hood. I like to put a removable front bumper on these conversions. I can pull the motor and trans right out of the front and keep it low on the hoist.

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-28-16.png

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-28-10.png

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-27-59.png

Today for fun, I wanted to see if I could start my truck w/o the starter. I was backed in on a declined driveway. Hit my glowplugs for 10 seconds put the truck in 2nd gear and rolled. I let put the clutch and sure enough it started. I have done this with plenty of gas vehicles with less compression. It was nice to know it will work on this truck in case of starter failure.

I wasnt going to buy it. I am glad I did though. Its small but I learned to duck more efficiently when I get in, after a few goose eggs.

Back
Top Bottom