02 Ford F350 - The "last" truck?

So using the truck this afternoon as God intended. Pulled up some small invasive trees Ann wanted gone. As we unspoiled the Warm 16000# winch, the steel cable is doubled back about 15 feet into it. It is under many layers. Any suggestions on how to get it to release?
Once you get it untangled pull it off and toss it in the recycle bin! Resurface the drum or replace it and install 1/2" 12 strand Cortland rope(synthetic).

Once you get it untangled pull it off and toss it in the recycle bin! Resurface the drum or replace it and install 1/2" 12 strand Cortland rope(synthetic).

Thanks. I guess my point is that it is so tangled I cannot get it to unspool. Need to know if there is a technique instead of cutting it off or disassembling the winch.

I also guess I should say that the primary duty for this winch will be around the farm, trees, logs, etc... For that reason we will likely stick with a steel cable. I went the synthetic route a few years back when I was in the jeep world and while it is so much easier to use, it wore so quickly due to either me or my use of it, I have not ever used synthetic since. This truck came with a Warn 16,000 (or 16500) pound Warn and the first time we went to use it got about 15 feet of wire off the drum and it is clearly doubled back on itself. Joe and I are going to work this after noon to try and untangle it and after that will inspect for damage. I will try to remember to take pics.

John

Lots of work today, although leaving the winch for tomorrow. Today was about mounting the camper, as well as the tie down brackets. My camper is a Northstar MC 600. It is made for a short bed half ton. Weight 1100 pounds dry. For tie down brackets this time around I went with Brophy bed mounts. Pros and cons to all systems but with the light weight of this camper, I think it will be ok.
Luckily I had my head mechanic doing a lot of the work... I was primarily the supervisor.
IMG_20240323_181742527_MP.jpg
IMG_20240323_182546136.jpg
IMG_20240323_185348051.jpg
IMG_20240323_193614086.jpg
IMG_20240323_194917357.jpg

I am glad we mounted it forward, as you can see it gives us a storage area with the tailgate up and a back porch when down. The Brophy mounts seemed to hold up well on my drive.

Last edited:
Also wanted to mention that with this 1100# camper (probably 1250 with the minimal loadout we keep in it) the rear of the truck came down right at an inch. Drives well on highway, a bit of sway on the trail into the compound, but not enough to worry over. Still like the Brophy mounts. You can see we did modify them a bit (thanks to my head mechanic, Joe) by welding on extra spacing on the tab. This was so we did not have to cut into any of the bed stake pockets to mount. Joe and I are also discussing if they would gain stability by welding on a tab on the other side. After almost a week with it on there, I don't think it is needed.
1711639847919.png

One more ramble. I have been getting 16 MPG around mixed driving unloaded. Highway unloaded 17.5mpg. With the camper loaded, mixed driving, I am right at 13mpg. On a separate topic, there is some wind noise and whistling due t the old light brackets on top. I am determining whether to mount a light bar up there (would come in handy at the compound) or to just tale them off. I think with the right adjustments the light bar will interfere with the air flow enough to mitigate the whistling.

John

I love your setup! My dad was a firefighter, and I was always drawn to the brush trucks over all of the other equipment. For years I wanted to buy his department's Kaiser m715, but I never caught wind of the auction, and it disappeared one day.

I wonder how my f150 would carry a Northstar like yours... I only have 1650lbs to work with, but only 350lbs of passenger weight. I have airbags too, so I'm sure it would help handle the load.

I love your setup! My dad was a firefighter, and I was always drawn to the brush trucks over all of the other equipment. For years I wanted to buy his department's Kaiser m715, but I never caught wind of the auction, and it disappeared one day.

I wonder how my f150 would carry a Northstar like yours... I only have 1650lbs to work with, but only 350lbs of passenger weight. I have airbags too, so I'm sure it would help handle the load.
Thank you. I used to carry this in a 2003 Tundra, then a dodge Dakota. Both needed some suspension enhancement to handle it well. Your F150 with airbags should have no problem.

Looks like you have a really nice setup with plenty of engine power to spare if you decided to pull a trailer. I love those older diesel 7.3's

So using the truck this afternoon as God intended. Pulled up some small invasive trees Ann wanted gone. As we unspoiled the Warm 16000# winch, the steel cable is doubled back about 15 feet into it. It is under many layers. Any suggestions on how to get it to release?
I have run into this before with a farm truck when I was much younger. What we did was to unspool the winch until it reached the kincked up point. Tension the winch with a tree saver or something around a tree or something very sturdy. Run the winch using the power in or out going in the direction needed to free the kink. Once it releases back the truck up ever so slightly to where it's tensioning the winch line again and repeat the process with the controller. It's a bit of a time consuming pain but it should work. Once completely let out you can re-spool it under tension and have everything good again.

I have run into this before with a farm truck when I was much younger. What we did was to unspool the winch until it reached the kincked up point. Tension the winch with a tree saver or something around a tree or something very sturdy. Run the winch using the power in or out going in the direction needed to free the kink. Once it releases back the truck up ever so slightly to where it's tensioning the winch line again and repeat the process with the controller. It's a bit of a time consuming pain but it should work. Once completely let out you can re-spool it under tension and have everything good again.
Thank you. I used that method a few weekends back and it came out as easy as you please. Winch put to use a 2nd time, this time to retrieve our smashed up, but running Subaru that the boy uses as a bash around the woods vehicle (it had 2 trees fall on it years ago, but still is mechanically sound). He learned a little about approach angles and ground clearance with that little adventure. No harm to him or the car, so all good :)

Back
Top Bottom