Java's F450 'Rough Road' RV

My paint skill have been better, but I think this is going to happen, loose the blue.

44315219635_d03ac786d2_b.jpg

OK guys, tire storage.....

I need to measure more carefully, but it does not look good for mounting under the truck in the stock location.

So mount it on the back door. With the latch the way it is, it needs to be ~5' or a bit more off the ground. Thats a long was for a heavy tire!

So I am thinking a flip down, like the jeep guys do. Deal with getting it on studs and bolted down at waist height then flip up and have a big pin/latch holding it.

Inspiration ish

image_1653.gif

Red is behind the tire, 1x3 or 4 to spread load over the door (the panels are 12" wide horizontal on the door). Yellow would be hinges (bushings) and the grey would be outside the tire.

30287301507_d2d17ca99b_b.jpg

Anyone have better ideas? Another option is the red frame and a hand crank winch to lift the tire up to the mounting area.

If suspended on the door are the hinges sturdy enough to bear the weight of the tire, rim, and steel support structure? If so, you might consider using the structure to mount other devices. Recommend considering using the other door to place the spare... should you be on the side of the road having the spare located on the other hatch places you and others out of potential traffic, should you be on an active roadway.

If suspended on the door are the hinges sturdy enough to bear the weight of the tire, rim, and steel support structure? If so, you might consider using the structure to mount other devices. Recommend considering using the other door to place the spare... should you be on the side of the road having the spare located on the other hatch places you and others out of potential traffic, should you be on an active roadway.

I think they are strong enough..... I hung and tried to bounce on the door. Definitely could mount other things as well. Trying to find a permanent shovel home too. Each hinge is 4" wide or so, double shear 1/4" mounts on the truck side, 3/8 or so shing pin, and 3 3/8" ish bolts on the door side.

Valid point on the doors.... But the other has the maxtrax on it already (old pic). I did plan it that way, I open that side often, and did not want to be swinging the extra 200lbs all the time. Hopefully I am able to find a safe place to pull off as needed.

I would look at the roof. For the very rare times you need the spare, I'd make the climb.

Oh hell no. Sorry its tall enough. Not wanting to add height or weight up there...... And I am reasonably young and strong ish, I cant imagine trying to get a 170lb wheel and tire up and down safely on a vertical ladder.

I am really trying to get it under in the OE spot, just need to find more time when its not dark and raining to measure.... Its close. Keeps it down low, out of the way, and out of the sun. But I am guessing it will end up on the back door.

So much vinyl to peel..... Luckily someone on IG suggested Rapid Remover. It makes getting the glue off 1000% easier.

Starting.

43707216070_206a40c13d_b.jpg

The grey is the glue left behind. I was scrubbing with acetone....

45473983012_745c55f716_b.jpg

Headed out for the weekend.

31652181488_0a2dff790b_b.jpg

One side done.

44799085304_99eba9fa19_b.jpg

Drivers side done. Just about 2 hours with the Rapid remover.

45473980192_53a818d5ba_b.jpg

And the cabover section is a pain in the ass.

30583337177_ecf7b0aa9c_b.jpg

Definitely like the blue gone. More RV instead of Racer. I am sure that is a PITA to do.

Most definitely, a fair bit cleaner look IMO. It was a long project.... Glad I posted on IG though, the rapid remover made the second half half the time.

Blue is gone! wrapped up last night.

30595944587_757f7b5f70_b.jpg

Then I got carried away.... I had the cutout from the door still. I tried peeling the vinyl off the cutout to reapply to the door.

Should be easy right? Cut strips. Peel

45486340822_ab8679f98a_b.jpg

Does not come off nicely.... But a heat gun takes most of the stretches out....

44811312394_88bd47018f_b.jpg

Re-applied. Some definite wrinkles. But stick ok ish?

43719484060_d4211a4a77_b.jpg

So I got to work, in the dark. Did two pieces, not sure I can get the big bottom one nicely, would have to be three pieces I think. And my god going around the bottom of the window was a huge pain! Modeled rounded bits, to flat panels, with old vinyl.... There are some wrinkles....

I do not envy you at all for all the vinyl removal. One of the most laborious and boring things ever

Super stoked to see the rear door tire carrier though!

Need to clearance the front wheels wells a bit....

Then go for a test drive! (after I fix the giant boost leak I found.... Torn intercooler coupler. That would explain the lack of boost last weekend.)

Daylight pics. Its Awesome IMO!!!!!

Drives GREAT, just around town so far, but feel 99% the same as the OE setup.

45559136501_e814c6f93c_b.jpg

44644985195_50a82fb178_b.jpg

Going to have to watch that disk.
45508834912_fb3f2088ca_b.jpg

Much clearnacing happened. Still rubs back there.... Fender liner isnt really covering anything once your just inside the wheel well where the body seam is. May just hack it off.

45508834842_5c14dd5f78_b.jpg

Sorry for the blurry, but boost leak much? Got a new OE boot on that.
45508836352_9aba0f6df7_b.jpg

Now more tech.... I updated the tire size with my tuner and it rewrote the tuning wrong.... Zero throttle, tons of smoke, bad. So I returned to stock, definitely down on power, but much less smoke. I will try a tank and see how the MPG's are, I will miss the power, but not the soot, if the MPG's are the same I will stay with it probably.

Spare tires are good... Would not fit in the stock location without cutting the exhaust off.

So I whipped up a spare mount for the back door. Not my prettiest fab work, but its solid. Two verticals to spread the load over a few panels of the door, and a "basket" for the wheel to sit in.

45680163101_4fdd63db58_b.jpg

45629424562_30ecea5143_b.jpg

Through bolted on the door. I can bounce on it with no movement.

45680158891_57c34f6183_b.jpg

And with the tire in place, I used E-Track mounts and straps.

31807776198_a84a39ceba_b.jpg

Added a lifting eye above the door, come along and a snatch block make getting it up there possible, once the rear winch goes in it will be much easier....

30739483367_394ddfb3c3_b.jpg

Bravo! That is much more day to day user friendly than a swing out.
Agreed. Doors works just like it did, just a bit heavier to close! May get some rattle now that it has 200lbs attached to it, there is a little slop in the latch. Will need to try it. My thinking is a destaco latch and a HDPE block at the bottom edge, should limit movement vertically (if any shows up) and a piece of inner tube glued into the latch.

Stopped for dinner At the top of the pass. They definitely suck power. (remember I went back to stock tune too) but got pretty hot (oil almost 230, water 220) and I was only doing 50-55. Maxing speed keeping boost under 40 and EGT's under 1100. I was able to just about keep 60 before I believe. Dropped about 300 rpms cruising at 65, but making more boost everywhere. More boost=more fuel....

Need to fill up, but I think it's a little worse mpg.... Not much, but a little.

Drives nice. Will try the tune on the next trip.

80749a6c2519ef94b7b332ad22176cf6.jpg

Noticed on a GXV FB post today that their rear discs are exposed on the the single rear wheels as well. Come up with any ideas yet?

Back
Top Bottom