Show Off Your Storage Solutions

Is anyone making a swing-away rear carrier that's NOT a tire carrier? Ive done searches, but they all seem extra heavy duty and made for a heavy spare. Im thinking something I could vertically stack a small Honda generator and window AC unit, and maybe fuel can on the other side, or just the gen and AC unit above the bumper level and somewhat tight to the vehicle. It wouldn't have to be super duty or super heavy, just allow me to access the back door of a 4runner. The hitch mounted cargo rack will work for now, but will hang out and drag some places I like to go in to.

Dissent over on mud makes some killer bumpers with utilitarian Swingouts. You may have to get a 100 series Land Cruiser though... Im not sure if he's doing them for other vehicles?

This is the replacement gear platform/aux battery storage/other storage thing I made recently. It isn't done yet as I'm still going to cover the bare wood, but I needed it in the van for some family camping weekends. There is a separate area for the aux battery and associated items that go with it as well as storage for "lives in the van" items like tools and parts.

It is 1" square 18ga tubing skinned with 1/2" or 1/4" depending on the section. Solid and not as heavy as one would think. The tubing cost about $15 a stick, overall the build cost is fairly cheap (minus the Ovis HD slides). I still need to add another pull out under the fridge for a counter top as well. I removed the small section on the right after some test fitting, it didn't work out like I thought it would, so off it came.

20170325_095121.jpg
20170325_125055.jpg
IMG_20170217_181050_673.jpg
IMG_20170325_131807_771.jpg

Is anyone making a swing-away rear carrier that's NOT a tire carrier? Ive done searches, but they all seem extra heavy duty and made for a heavy spare. Im thinking something I could vertically stack a small Honda generator and window AC unit, and maybe fuel can on the other side, or just the gen and AC unit above the bumper level and somewhat tight to the vehicle. It wouldn't have to be super duty or super heavy, just allow me to access the back door of a 4runner. The hitch mounted cargo rack will work for now, but will hang out and drag some places I like to go in to.
I just happened to see this the other day looking at tire carriers, it is the Wilco Hitchswing and may work for you https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchswing/

Hitchswing-608x343.jpg

Good ideas, thanks!

I have one of these on the way, it should be in tomorrow.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hitch-Haul-Folding-Receiver-Bar/20512803

Thinking of using it in the vertical position, and cut the carrier basket shank and weld it at right angle so the basket goes back to horizontal and gets 6-8" or so of rise in the process. It can tilt back from the door to access the back door. Not sure how hard that will be on my back yet.

The part came in today. Started working on the modifications, and we realized the folding adapter was built cockeyed. Didn't have time to send it back and hope another one was right, so had the welder cut it apart enough that we could straighten it. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

Gained 10" of height with the cargo rack and the rear door still opens with nothing on it. It will tilt back for more room if need be when loaded, but it needs some tuning. Looks like it will work OK with a trailer also, if it has clearance for turns and there isn't a jack in the way. Also shortened the shank of the adapter 3".

0419171919.jpg

Last edited:
Be mindful of how much weight you put back there; since a hitch carrier isn't a trailer with wheels there isn't any added drag to help stabilize the vehicle. It is possible that a hitch carrier places weight far enough aft of the center of mass of the vehicle that it could negativity effect handling, especially during peculiar events or sudden emergencies like a catastrophic tire failure. If someone is really curious (bored) I can give you the equations to calculate the shift in CG with however much weight you plan on placing back there to figure out how far rearward that moves the CoM for your specific vehicle (you'll need some axle weights and the wheelbase, which you can get from Expert AutoStats or by weighing and measuring your vehicle).

Thanks, I'll try to keep it reasonable. Ive used the hitch carriers for 12 or so years fairly regularly. I do try to spread weight around, like putting more spare ammo on the front passenger side floor. :) So far Ive had pretty good experiences with them, but I may not be loading very much weight. The most was probably a 30 gallon drum of fuel one time. The main objective with this on the 4Runner is to have one of the small Honda generators and a small window AC unit along in the summer, and not have to pull a trailer. Those two items weigh a little under 100 lbs together.

Planning on building a box around the generator and AC. It will probably be expanded metal on the front side and bottom to breathe. It may need to be vented on the other side for the AC, will have to see. A louvered vent on an exposed side may allow ventilation without being as obvious whats in the box.

I went with decked for storage. So far we love it, i took into consideration weight of plywood, strength, cost of drawer sliders, latches, hinges ect.
20170419_071422.jpg

20170419_071507.jpg

20170419_071438.jpg

20170419_133252.jpg

Its really nice not having to climb into the bed as much to get stuff and strap action packers down. Time will tell.

My storage situation is a little different from most on AA in that I needed a storage solution for the rear seat compartment of my crew cab super duty.
There are a few companies that can manufacture something but they were either too far away or the price was more than I wanted to pay.
Being in construction I was able to talk my trim carpenter into building a storage solution for me. After several conversations and measurements we began with purchasing a couple of sheets of 3/4" Baltic plywood which has 15 plies instead of the usual 6 or 7.
Here are a couple of pictures of the progress so far...

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

We are going to cover the exterior with bed liner material and with a little luck should have it done in a week or so...
Stay tuned!

My storage situation is a little different from most on AA in that I needed a storage solution for the rear seat compartment of my crew cab super duty.
There are a few companies that can manufacture something but they were either too far away or the price was more than I wanted to pay.
Being in construction I was able to talk my trim carpenter into building a storage solution for me. After several conversations and measurements we began with purchasing a couple of sheets of 3/4" Baltic plywood which has 15 plies instead of the usual 6 or 7.
Here are a couple of pictures of the progress so far...

View attachment 31412

View attachment 31413

View attachment 31414

View attachment 31415

We are going to cover the exterior with bed liner material and with a little luck should have it done in a week or so...
Stay tuned!

That is simply fantastic so far.

I'm starting to think about a storage setup in the Sequoia. Obviously everyone's needs are different, but what's the one thing everyone loves (or couldn't do without) in their setup? What's the one thing everyone hates or would do differently? Looking for a little insight before I begin cutting plywood...

I'm starting to think about a storage setup in the Sequoia. Obviously everyone's needs are different, but what's the one thing everyone loves (or couldn't do without) in their setup? What's the one thing everyone hates or would do differently? Looking for a little insight before I begin cutting plywood...

One thing I absolutley love is the access to the top drawer units with the flip top from the rear seats. I've got the air compressor in there and sometimes having to stop, open up the swingouts, open the rear hatch and then getting one single thing can be a hassle. But having top access flip hatches on the top drawers makes getting things from the backseats tons easier.

Also having that top deck that bridges the two side drawers makes hiding what's in the back no problem. It also doubles as a deck for storage too and removable when I need to put something larger in there.

I, too, put in a Decked system.

ZgaadOUgQLL3yf6jq8lLGG_4kxVlPvpGJto4b1pYHNKHlIfZq5OpDPOD41C3pBaNVvQADKZBihjCNYephNlJ5VGnB8hPK1QzLcgxDqUIioFaUVaVCEjl2jOyL0nio8OF8Qz4w0XxHL0BwhcpgRKUIAJF-7sdYhz5naw81NcZJe1YVU5PFMVnYndEjKWRZJEPHcOhx2pn72gHfO0Pf5RzHfUI6RyOmn3zZf-cadr6qpW8CzDHGE3a-lQbY6r2fz2ENI-w5VzVNQS02Jk6q3lCnqX7pqO6T9aFSO52Ofgyb21ne9JJCq8XPepXaKQVc-Hdy0YZf0L5s3nwNPYY6VB_6MuOVWOF2rUvkpowW0MjPOhUCoV07yAzRaiHX00lDba5oMIdjHZLbGr3A0MmNW5m72OJfePUp8S-aNZTfILmMRY8vGKx2x0LK6R2q50F4Q6saT2x1fLJcEVmPWxmqqOYIbqHxfmmUTkiKLtFrJFGxXGPSQFHlyIUSXJ4YseKdsRCYwPrvdX7-X-uTWSARSXFN57N9UtXPzCzO0cWpdMLZs6EHYMsnJOVowwN8E9C2FNZ8esrMJtCK65pGLn8w0VpnXW15xJxz_g7W6IY0NY31EzvJLpqgjKjBfGQ=w1000-h618-no

Drawer boxes and dividers should be showing up today. Pretty impressed with how solid they are. Drawers roll well and should hold everything that I need.

Looking at stuff like that makes me realize I need to learn how to weld. At least learn enough to be functionally competent.

So, since I can't weld yet, I'm currently sketching out ideas for a box that I'll build out of baltic ply. I'll put it at the front of the bed to hold the second battery along with small odds and ends. Thought about putting the compressor back there but I'm not a fan of that idea right now.

I, too, put in a Decked system.

ZgaadOUgQLL3yf6jq8lLGG_4kxVlPvpGJto4b1pYHNKHlIfZq5OpDPOD41C3pBaNVvQADKZBihjCNYephNlJ5VGnB8hPK1QzLcgxDqUIioFaUVaVCEjl2jOyL0nio8OF8Qz4w0XxHL0BwhcpgRKUIAJF-7sdYhz5naw81NcZJe1YVU5PFMVnYndEjKWRZJEPHcOhx2pn72gHfO0Pf5RzHfUI6RyOmn3zZf-cadr6qpW8CzDHGE3a-lQbY6r2fz2ENI-w5VzVNQS02Jk6q3lCnqX7pqO6T9aFSO52Ofgyb21ne9JJCq8XPepXaKQVc-Hdy0YZf0L5s3nwNPYY6VB_6MuOVWOF2rUvkpowW0MjPOhUCoV07yAzRaiHX00lDba5oMIdjHZLbGr3A0MmNW5m72OJfePUp8S-aNZTfILmMRY8vGKx2x0LK6R2q50F4Q6saT2x1fLJcEVmPWxmqqOYIbqHxfmmUTkiKLtFrJFGxXGPSQFHlyIUSXJ4YseKdsRCYwPrvdX7-X-uTWSARSXFN57N9UtXPzCzO0cWpdMLZs6EHYMsnJOVowwN8E9C2FNZ8esrMJtCK65pGLn8w0VpnXW15xJxz_g7W6IY0NY31EzvJLpqgjKjBfGQ=w1000-h618-no

Drawer boxes and dividers should be showing up today. Pretty impressed with how solid they are. Drawers roll well and should hold everything that I need.

Looking at stuff like that makes me realize I need to learn how to weld. At least learn enough to be functionally competent.

So, since I can't weld yet, I'm currently sketching out ideas for a box that I'll build out of baltic ply. I'll put it at the front of the bed to hold the second battery along with small odds and ends. Thought about putting the compressor back there but I'm not a fan of that idea right now.

Welding isn't hard. Welding well takes practice. Welding well and having welds that always look good is hard. ;)

Get a entry level flux-core mig, get some scrap, watch some Youtube videos and get sparking. You'll begin to figure out before you know it.

I just upgraded to the new Goose Gear gen 2 Tacoma storage spurious. Well worth it in every way.

So much more storage than I had before.
IMG_5963.JPG

Back
Top Bottom