Dave's Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Project: Zephyrus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Icon 2 inch coil spacer is in place and ready to go. This is no Mickey Mouse solution - solid steel spacer and OEM 2500 coil springs will work well with the air bags as my new bumpstops.

IMG_6577.JPG

On 14 and up Ram 2500's, Daystar airbag cradles need to be modified to seat properly and to avoid wearing out the bag prematurely with bolt rub.

IMG_6578.JPG

On the bottom, recessed hardware is used so it can sit flat where the OEM bumpstop used to strike.

IMG_6579.JPG

never had an issue with axle hop up front, but the rear end is crazy. I think that is the biggest issue with the 3rd gen wagons
It's not just the pw either.. I get pretty gnarly axle wrap too in the dirt.. and 160" wheelbase makes it fun as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

After the mods at CJC Offroad in LA (Bellflower), and with no air in the bags, the truck was level and not sitting on the bags/cradles at all. We added 10 psi per side just to give them some resistance if needed. Measuring using the top of the rock sliders as a guide and measuring the front and the back of the sliders to the ground, the truck sits perfectly level now

IMG_6595.JPG

With the suspension done, I fought my way through peak traffic in LA taking the 405 south to I-5 and I took it home over Ortega Hwy (74) to see how it handled. Handling is good in crazy traffic, at speed on the interstate and on VERY twisty mountain roads. No more "boaty" feeling or wallowing through turns. Very happy with the result and now we can shift our attention back to enjoying (and modifying) the camper.

IMG_6604.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

Good you got it sorted out. I think the bags in the cradles will serve you well for the wheeling you end up doing. No fear of tearing a bag at full droop or any sudden movement to the side.

Were you given any guidance on bag inflation? I've also got individual ports for my truck. I don't really pay attention to the pressure, I pump mine up until the springs are just off of the overloads...just occurred to me that you don't have leaf springs/overloads. Back to the original question...what guidance were you given on inflation pressures, any mention of revalving your shocks for more rebound?

In my head the cups were going to mounted on the top of the bags, any concern about getting rocks/debris in the cups? I've got no idea what the bottom of the bag is made of.

I've been winging it, never asked the questions that you might have. I do want to replace my rear shocks at some point, dial in a lot of rebound. I think the bags have a little too much bounce when off highway. I'm running Bilstein 5100's. Intend to go to Fox 2.0's at some point. My team owner runs Icon suspension on his Jeep JK. He's been very happy with the whole set up, I may look their direction when I decide to pull the trigger.

Air Lift recommends min 5 psi in the bags, I went with 10 initially so we'll see how it goes.

They are adjustable from 5 to 100 psi so they are plenty strong given my relatively light load. And unlike other bags, even if they fail the internal design acts as a bump stop.

IMG_6635.jpg

The Icon 2.5 external resi shocks are fine at this point, too early to see if I want to tweak them.

My bags are Air-Lift as well, I think I end up in the 50-65 psi range when I'm fully loaded.

Dave,

I know that you've gotten some sponsorships for this build. Is it possible for you to give a ballpark estimate of what the average Joe would pay to replicate your build? Asking for a friend.:)

I've been meaning to add it all up, stay tuned

If it's like building my race car I'm not sure we want to see the total price! And we darn sure don't want to show our spouses!!

Seriously though, it looks like a sweet rig. If I keep my current truck I will most likely install the Air Lifts on mine and upgrade the shocks as well.

My guess is $110,000.

To keep whatever the number is in perspective, I work at a Cadillac dealership, new Escalades can hit $100,000.

Dave,

I know that you've gotten some sponsorships for this build. Is it possible for you to give a ballpark estimate of what the average Joe would pay to replicate your build? Asking for a friend.:)

Here's some numbers:

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel, Big Horn Package, $58,500
2016 FWC Hawk Flatbed, fully optioned, $36,500
AT Overland custom aluminum flatbed tray w/Fiberthane storage boxes, $8,000

Truck and camper with tray = $103,000

Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 4 suspension (2.5 inch lift), airbags, coil spacers etc, $4,300
Icon Alloys Shield wheels, $1,200
Toyo RT 37's with TPMS, mount/balance/warranty etc from America's Tire, $2,300
Rigid lighting, $3,000
White Knuckle Offroad Products Rock Sliders (HD), $1200
Buckstop "Boss" bumper, $2,500
sPod 4x4 "SE" touchscreen, $750
Warn 16.5 ti winch, synthetic line, accessories, $2,865
AEV snorkel (for safety), $420

Misc Mods = $18,535

Grand total of major items comprising this build to date:

$121,535.00 (not including labor costs!)

So with a toilet, sink and stove onboard could one qualify for RV financing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom