Dave's Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Project: Zephyrus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what you did with your old bed? Sell it? Keep it? Trailer it home? Trying to figure out what I'm going to do (I've got a project similar to yours in the works) with mine. Hoping to buy a truck with "box delete" option but have been wondering if I should store the bed somewhere just in case I sell the truck but keep the flatbed and camper. Your thoughts/plans?

Just wondering what you did with your old bed? Sell it? Keep it? Trailer it home? Trying to figure out what I'm going to do (I've got a project similar to yours in the works) with mine. Hoping to buy a truck with "box delete" option but have been wondering if I should store the bed somewhere just in case I sell the truck but keep the flatbed and camper. Your thoughts/plans?

I let AT have it, pretty sure it lives on as a trailer :)

The Fiberthane material is a urethane/fiberglass composite that is coated with "Scorpion" liner (similar to LineX, Upol Raptor etc). It's lighter than Baltic birch, and obviously impervious to the elements and should provide long service life. It also has another oft overlooked quality for storage boxes. Unlike aluminum, it does not draw condensation so the humidity level in a Fiberthane box is going to be far less than a comparable aluminum box. Your tools and gear will thank you.

This and your truck thread are incredible. Thanks for sharing all your insights and inspiration. They got my wife’s attention and the OK to move forward with a build. Whoo hooo!

Curious on your long term thoughts on the fiberthane boxes; how have they been with regard to sealing up from rain? I noticed that the cross box seems to have gasket only along the three rabbited sides and not along the inside of the hinge. Any leaks anywhere?

This and your truck thread are incredible. Thanks for sharing all your insights and inspiration. They got my wife’s attention and the OK to move forward with a build. Whoo hooo!

Curious on your long term thoughts on the fiberthane boxes; how have they been with regard to sealing up from rain? I noticed that the cross box seems to have gasket only along the three rabbited sides and not along the inside of the hinge. Any leaks anywhere?

Thanks. Like any boxes of this type on a vehicle, they're only as good as the door seals. Keep those squared away and they're great. The tunnel box has not had any issue with moisture, probably due in part to the orientation of the door and the overhang of the camper.

Very nice looking truck. Whats your avg MPG been?

Trekpak looks slick, I may need to get some myself.

MPG varies between 12 to 18 MPG depending on conditions and fuel blend (winter blend diesel sucks IMO). Summer highway with a relaxed driving style and I could probably get 19.

MPG varies between 12 to 18 MPG depending on conditions and fuel blend (winter blend diesel sucks IMO). Summer highway with a relaxed driving style and I could probably get 19.

That's pretty damn good! I'm a couple thousand pounds heavier, but have a way bigger aero penalty. I get 10-10.7 avg (with a lot of mountain passes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom