A Rendezvous with unknown friends

SomedayAdventure

Adventurist
SAM_2152 small.jpg

To be a part of a community was never something I was raised to do. To be part of something other than your immediate family was nothing I ever longed for. The world was, and is, full of strange people who, by the very nature of humanity, have little interest further than their own person reach. It was not a bleak view but a realistic one that knew, as a family that stayed in one town for an average of four years before moving on, the only people we needed to focus on were our nuclear family. In a way, I grew up with esoteric understanding of the world around me.
SAM_1043 small.jpg

For the most part, I appreciate my upbringing. If nothing else, I know I possess an iron resolve when it comes to my core values. Decision making for me is far less difficult than it would have been otherwise as I know exactly who I must consider when doing so. But it did leave me longing. Longing for an element we did not spend much time on as we were a home of two full time working parents who only had holidays off. Nature. Rarely, and memorably, my brother an I would be taken into some unknown place to explore but our primary exposure was on Christmas breaks and the like while driving to and from Oklahoma from Washington to visit our grandparents.
SAM_1180 small.jpg

An article I wrote with an anectdote about my father and growing up (plus my love of Stihl)
http://www.somedayilllearn.com/stihl-a-good-community/

After having my three sons, even right after my first, I knew I wanted them to see places. To meet different types of people. To diversify their minds to the American culture which seems to have been monochromatically reduced to what television has exposed us to. I wanted them to be able to see all sides of a situation or issue and know how to come to the best possible decision for them...because that's what mattered to me. Their success.
DSC_1846 small.jpg

We started traveling when Chelsea and I were dating. Things quickly evolved (as you can see/read in my build thread and blog post etc) and we found ourselves branching out to the Overland Expo and asserting to ourselves that we we're in fact on the right path. (http://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/overland-expo-from-an-outside-perspective.2816/).
DSC_1911 small.jpg

This year, after meeting some of the fine American Adventurist, as well as other nature and travel lovers at the OE, Chelsea and I decided to branch out and try a event. And so, the American Adventurist SoCal Mountain Rendezvous was set upon our calendar.

We arrived the night before and slept in the truck on the side of the road, even after I drove some two or three miles on various forest roads. To be honest, I was just afraid of bears. Chelsea did not sleep well and was a bit peeved with me. At least I was able to find the gate as it was listed on the site. We came black to the gate around 1100 am and saw a lone vehicle waiting in the dirt lot across the street. I pulled in and was immediately greeted. I asked if he was waiting for the rendezvous and he said yes. I parked in the shade and he exited his truck. I soon found myself in conversation with someone I had never met as he gave me his take on the impending rush that was sure to come.
DSC_1838 small.jpg

DSC_1841 small.jpg

DSC_1852 small.jpg

Eventually, someone took the initiative to open the gate themselves at about 1210. I had been so immersed in conversation I had forgot to even check the time. We followed in and stayed in a small line of vehicles at check in.
DSC_1898 small.jpg

DSC_1895 small.jpg

Once we handed over the required paperwork...we were in. The only rules I could keep in mind with all my excitement were "No fires" and "don't hit any saplings".

...and we moved in to find our campsite.

TBC

It was great meeting you, Chelsea, and the boy's. I got a big kick out of watching Owen (I think?) kick his red ball up the hill and chase it when it rolled back down laughing the whole time! That's stuff boy's never forget, can't wait until I can play catch with my grandson! As always great photo's, keep them coming.

"My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, 'You're tearing up the grass'; 'We're not raising grass,' Dad would reply. 'We're raising boys."

Harmon Killebrew, MN. Twin All Star

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/harmon_killebrew.html#wSHfYIrb68FLGG6S.99

PART 2: Setting up camp
DSC_1957 small.jpg

We waiting as patiently as we could for the four vehicles in front of us to get in. The "Hold Harmless" and donation of $40 were handed over and we were pointed into camp. "No open fires and don't run over any saplings" Dave said as I bounced back to my truck. It seemed like the first day of school to me. You have high hopes for making friends and wonder if you might run into any Jeep bullys who want to steel your diesel money.
PSX_20150828_134849.jpg

Chelsea and I deployed the trailer and set up camp like a pair of pros. Our system was much more refined and practiced than it was even at Overland Expo. We already knew we weren't going to put on the anex and also decided we could wait to see if we wanted to set up the spare room for the baby. This time, fortunately, I was smart enough to bring the portable baby crib so Chelsea could put the baby down. Also, I was quite grateful to Cris aka "BlkWgn" for helping me back into our little spot. Last time Chelsea spotted me I wound up with three dents and paint chipped off on my bed after she just stood there watching me jackknife my trailer into my truck. I had asked her what happened and why she didn't tell me and she said, "I didn't know what I was doing. I thought 'spot' meant watch".
DSC_2030 small.jpg

-
DSC_2036 small.jpg

DSC_2037 small.jpg

I watched as others took to the task of setting up their preliminary camps. Most seemed pretty well experienced and knew what they needed to get done right off the bat. It was interesting watching other sets of parents manage their set ups with their children running around them. As I watched, I felt a sense of pride well up inside me as I noticed they too, unlike the campers without mini-humans, were capable of setting up a camp in a small hurricane of monkeys. It would seem every parent with a few camps under their belt all understand how to give the small people something "important" to do while they get on with the task of setting stakes.
DSC_1863 small.jpg

DSC_1866 small.jpg

After setting up our initial camp the way we wanted it, I took some time to explore my new neighborhood for the weekend. I enjoyed seeing all the CVT Rooftop tents others had and, for some reason, even enjoyed seeing all the Rotopax on the backs and tops of other vehicles. A secret club everyone could see. Looking at other peoples camps felt a bit like going to a museum and looking at art. As you looked on at each individual mobile oasis, you might catch yourself standing with your arms crossed, head cocked to one side and wondering what the 'artist' was thinking or trying to say when they put together their work. You could even ponder what each assembly said about its owner. "Rugged chic", "diversity in motion", or even "portable elegance".
DSC_1918 small.jpg

DSC_1861 small.jpg

DSC_1934 small.jpg

TBC...

Hey Nate,
It was super nice to meet you and your family. Good times my friend.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Tim, I look forward to meeting up with you again. You are a very nice host and knew just how to get to my heart...meat haha. I already started making plans with Chelsea for Desert Rendezvous next year because of you. Great meeting you.

PART 3: A Closer Look

DSC_1881 small.jpg

We let the boys decompress for a bit before heading out together later in the afternoon. I got a chance to explore and examine in closer detail all the people I had been watching from afar. I enjoyed seeing the used hooks and scratched bumpers as it clearly and inaudibly stated "we are real...we are used". This wasn't a show room. It wasn't like watching body builders pose. It was like walking into a room of Strong Man competitors and, as rough around the edges they may have appeared, every single one had actual utility and experience. What was more, you could see each had built on their own experiences, adding elements to suit their need or desire.
DSC_1870 small.jpg

DSC_1886 small.jpg

DSC_1873 small.jpg

DSC_1878 SMALL.jpg

DSC_1896 small.jpg

DSC_1883 small.jpg

DSC_1924 small.jpg

DSC_1991 small.jpg

DSC_1973 small.jpg

PART 4: The Details
DSC_1910 small.jpg

The diversity in the "overlanding" style varied greatly from vehicle to vehicle. I noticed, if I looked closer into the interior of each camp, I found there was even more to see and inspire. Dave did not fall short of this of course (what would you expect) as he and his wife even set out a mango sangria for everyone they welcomed...which was everyone. I don't usually partake of the fermented libations but did on this particular occasion and found I was pleasantly surprised. It was amazing actually and Chelsea found herself asking for the recipe.
DSC_1914 small.jpg

After all, this isn't a vacation. It is a lifestyle. The trip may have spanned a weekend but the experience goes on and on. And as it would surely be repeated over and over in different locations for everyone involved throughout their future, their comforts and organization will stay very similar. Some even seemed as orderly as a mobile hotel and catering service.
DSC_1983 small.jpg

DSC_1948 small.jpg

DSC_1950 small.jpg

Some even had the look and feel of a bullet proof bed and breakfast.
DSC_1928 small.jpg

DSC_1933 small.jpg

I was left inspired and a bit wanting as I was still operating under the "knife and plate" method.
DSC_2028 small.jpg

As I continued around camp, I was even warmed by the sight of older campers of no relation passing on lessons of camp cooking to the youth that would surely be casting dust to the wind in the all too nearing future.

I watched a lesson in camp grilled cheese from a distance, not wanting to disturb them. Every time I see him I mean to talk to him and get a Mojo for Chelsea but keep missing him in conversations around each other like a strange English dance from the 17th century where everyone twirls in a group. "You get in nice and hot, swirl on the butter and slap down the bread...in that order" he advised. Soon after, these two 'yungins' were making their rounds handing out samples of their lesson.
DSC_1966 small.jpg

PART 5: Toys and Gear (something with Javascript is wrong and only a fraction of this post keeps going up)

FYI: Our children are referred to as Someboy, Sidekick and Minion in descending order on the internet for their safety and to reduce confusion from the blog.

DSC_1876 small.jpg

We made a number of trips about the area and did what we could to entertain the boys. This was not hard at all as some had brought along micro versions of their vehicles.
DSC_2047 small.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_2043 small.jpg
    DSC_2043 small.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_2044 small.jpg
    DSC_2044 small.jpg
    815.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_2054 small.jpg
    DSC_2054 small.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_2066 samll.jpg
    DSC_2066 samll.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_2058 small.jpg
    DSC_2058 small.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 81
Part 5 continued...

Sidekick is in a really cute phase where he thinks the little man in the driver's seat is a real little man driving the FJ Cruiser. It was adorable watching him gaze at the 'little man' behind the wheel in wonder.
DSC_2043 small.jpg

DSC_2044 small.jpg

Later in the day, I looked on in the same wonder as I watched a bike/moped combo zip around the camp.
DSC_2054 small.jpg

DSC_2066 samll.jpg

Followed soon after by a gentleman who appeared to have forgotten the other half of his dirt bike.
DSC_2058 small.jpg

TBC

PART 6: Finding a community

DSC_1977 small.jpg

As I found myself walking around SoCal Mountain Rendezvous and meeting people, I found...well, nothing wrong with them. At one point, I had a small conversation with Dave (the Dave...like you know, the Dave that runs the show...with the handsome smile) about the loss in the general public's ability to converse with a stranger like a normal person. And, here I was, just speaking with people who were open and welcoming. Even Chelsea found a general magnetism between all the people at camp.
DSC_1994 small.jpg

DSC_2001 small.jpg

As the sun lowered over the tree line on the first day, a gentleman named Tim from San Diego (woo hoo) invited us over to try Vietnamese camping food...or meat. I stepped out on a limb and joined their group for dinner. It bears saying that the steak, pork and chicken were very good. In my own mind, I actually patted myself on the back for allowing myself to hang out with other people...something I normally don't like doing.
DSC_2009 small.jpg

Luckily, Someboy, who was very against meeting this new group of people, broke out of his shell and met his new best friend Jax of the 1020 Family. After a night of playing, Someboy excitedly spoke with me about his new best friend "Ajax" (the name of our cat and he had trouble pronouncing just Jax). As soon as he woke up the next day he repeatedly asked, "Where's Jax? Can I play with Jax". It was the first time I had seen Someboy so excited to play with another child than Sidekick.
DSC_2021 small.jpg

DSC_2087 small.jpg

This of course was everything I wanted for my son. The ability to branch out and meet new people without fear. Mission accomplished (well a step in the right direction).
DSC_2088 small.jpg

Bjorne of course enjoyed the attention of many of he children without the distraction of Kraken who had snapped both bones in his front left leg just before we left.
DSC_2081 small.jpg

And, with Someboy and Sidekick content playing with other children, I had some nice one on one time with Minion.
DSC_2124 small.jpg

PART 7: Closing events

DSC_2071 small.jpg

Finally, for us at least, out time at SoCal Mountain Rendezvous had come to an end. Chelsea and I broke camp just before the potluck and crock pot competition to make sure we were not doing it in the dark. That was something we also learned the hard way...three times.
DSC_2127 small.jpg

I of course, voted for the winner...apple cobbler.
DSC_2129 small.jpg

The entire camp sat together and waited for the events start while at the same time just enjoying their company. If not for the repeated announcements to make a final vote, I believe everyone would have sat there talking with each other for two hours without a complaint.
DSC_2137 small.jpg

Finally, the voting clock was stopped and the MC took the stage.
DSC_2140 small.jpg

DSC_2142 small.jpg

A plethora of fine prizes were handed out during the drawing as a joyous tension lingered in the air amongst friends as everyone waited for their number to be called.
DSC_2149 small.jpg

We even made out with a prize :D
DSC_2152 small.jpg

We said our good byes and Someboy made sure I stopped by the 1020 camp to say goodbye to Jax.

In the end, as Chelsea and I drove home, something dawned on us. "You know, there's the mom blogger community or the travel blogger community...but none of those are an actual tangible community like the American Adventurist Community" Chelsea pondered out loud. I thought about it for a bit and realized she was right. What surprised me a bit more was the fact that I actually felt like I was a part of this community. And there was something I never thought I would be.

Back
Top Bottom