4th Gen Taco: 2024 revealed?

New model threads are always confusing as people complain about features nobody knows for sure are offered or not or what kind of trim levels will be available at introduction or upgrades slated for the following year(s). It’s like a chorus composed of farts and gesticulations as these models get torn apart or revered depending on the poster’s interpretation or brand loyalty.

Roger that. Shut up and sit in silence until we know for sure. Don't mind me, I'm just a Toyota hater... my garage is evidence of that. ;):)

It’s like a chorus composed of farts and gesticulations.

Pull my finger :D

mqdefault.jpg

Well...

Personal opinion, but I think it's one of the worst looking vehicles I've ever seen. In particular the Limited trim with all that chrome.

Why must everything have a twin turbo or be a “hybrid” or something EV today? Birds nest engine bay says to me forget about doing your own maintenance or long term ownership. We wanted Hilux simplicity and durability and they gave us Prius batteries?

New Tacoma has lots to like, but I’m NOT impressed with the most important part - the drivetrain.

:mike

Last edited:
Why must everything have a twin turbo or be a “hybrid” or something EV today?

Government mileage mandates and the buying public‘s ever increasing demands for more power and gadgetry.

Government mileage mandates and the buying public‘s ever increasing demands for more power and gadgetry.

Yep, and if this chart from the EPA showing trending data is any indication...it's only going to get worse:

1684522064031.png

One out of every 3 cars produced in 2023 will utilize a turbo charged power plant. Hybrid technology (while often talked about and marketed) is only projected to account for about 7% of the market in 2022. I would imagine in a few years though that number will increase significantly. Sort of the inverse of V8 engines produced as we moved from the 70s into the 80s:

1684522315438.png

We all know the 70s and early 80s were the best years.

1684522449128.png

Wondering does this hybrid system use the same batteries as the Prius or no?

Wondering does this hybrid system use the same batteries as the Prius or no?

Looks like it’s using NiMH vs everyone else using Li-ion. That is unexpected, has lower energy density and less cycle life. But wow, a 10 year/150K warranty screams "who cares"!

NiHM? The 1990s called, they want their batteries back. I wonder how the warranty applies to battery capacity, effective output, etc. The old NiHM batteries were not the same after repeated charge and discharge. The press release just says "covered".

Last edited:
I can see a few reasons to use NiHM over LiPO.
  1. Potential Lithium supply chain shortages in the future
  2. Lower cost to the consumer.
  3. Supposably better operational temperature range. From the Tundra HV manual p77.

"When the hybrid battery (traction battery) is extremely cold (below approximately -31°F [-35°C]) under the influence of the outside temperature, it may not be possible to start the hybrid system."
https://www.epectec.com/batteries/lithium-vs-nimh-battery-packs.html

So…I’m confused. There’s not much details posted for the Offroad trim, I’ve seen more info on the Prerunner. Why?

The Pro and Trailthingie both have 3” wider stance. Okay. Is that by longer control arms for more travel or just wheel spacing and wider fender flares? If it’s the later that’s pretty lame.

Anybody heard anything on MPG? If it’s not pushing over 25 mpg with the hairblower motor that’s also not too enticing.

So…I’m confused. There’s not much details posted for the Offroad trim, I’ve seen more info on the Prerunner. Why?

The Pro and Trailthingie both have 3” wider stance. Okay. Is that by longer control arms for more travel or just wheel spacing and wider fender flares? If it’s the later that’s pretty lame.

Anybody heard anything on MPG? If it’s not pushing over 25 mpg with the hairblower motor that’s also not too enticing.

From what I've seen on YousTubes its offset wheels and fender flares, not longer control arms, CVs, and tie rods. Typical lame sauce Toyota approach.

Hopefully one could swap in say a Tundra rack, control arms and associated parts not only for longer travel but robust full size truck parts.

I wouldn’t touch the first year of production on these unless it was used. Out the gate, there’s bound to be growing pains.

That said, the more I see and learn of this platform I’m hopeful that it might just be good enough to get me back in a Taco. I just need to silence my inner Luddite when it comes to this new drivetrain…

Been told but haven't read it, the rear differential is a 9.25" ring gear, can anyone confirm this? That's a big jump from the current 8.25"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom