1991 Suburban 2500

I am lucky enough to only have one feeling, and it is either sleepy, hungry, (an alternative h-word not appropriate here).

Statistics, Tango? Bah! Those black belts never know what they are talking about anyways! ;-)

Installed the Borgeson steering shaft today. A bit of a pain, but the old girl drives nicer since I gave her the shaft... haha... could not resist. Also check the EGR and replaced the MAP sensor in an effort to smooth an occasional stumble out a bit. Hard to tell from the short test drive. This weekend should lead to 12v power to the back for the fridge and a few other things. Maybe... hopefully... done with some of the mechanicals for the time being.

Installed the 12v power to the rear area today. Indel B humming along just fine. Also did some work on the trailer, getting ready for Winter Safari in a few weeks.

John

IMG_6240.JPG
IMG_6239.JPG

Our good friend Justin S., USMC retired... you know him from App. Rend. Socal trailer, Rubicon, big ass beard.

Day-um... where the hell was I? Asleep at the wheel...

You know, I heard he found a cough drop and a paper-clip in that beard once.

I never served with Mattis. He did come and speak for the 20th Anniversary of the business I run. Damn fine man. I got to spend roughly 48 hours with him and let me just say, I would follow that guy to hell and back.

Plunge taken... biggest expnse on the Burb so far... I just ordered a Lock Right locker. Great deal from http://www.justdifferentials.com/default.asp

I wanted to get this in before the Winter Safari in a couple weeks... Now I just have to come up with a convincing story for Ann that I needed to spend the additional $ on this beast.

It has been a learning adventure so far, this is my first Chevy 350 and I am learning all the ins and outs... tryiing to make it capable at the same time as durable enough for daily driver and long trip duty. This should be my last significant mod for a while. I am going to run the stock suspension and tire size (235/85/16) until these nearly new tires wear out and then go up a couple inches and install 255/85/16's.

Other than that it will be working on the interior, and catching up all maintenance issues to give this thing as long a life as I can. Might have to actually get the LJ up for sale, now that I have committed these extra $ to the Burb.

Lock Right installed, amidst some turmoil because I am totally unfamiliar with drum brakes, as you maybe read in a previous post. I spent a good part of last night looking up tutorials on drum brakes and got it all straight, I think anyway.

Came via fed ex bought from Just Differentials, on sale for a good deal $390 shipped

All looked good with the cover off. Also learned that it has 4.10 gearing (whoop!)

Although many people don't like c clips, I have no plans on beating on this rig. It certainly makes the install easier. I had a Jeep Cherokee with a Dana 35... which everyone harps on, but it held up just fine with a Spartan locker.

All came out pretty easy

Locker went in pretty easy... the instructions were a bit confusing to me... but I found this write up on line. It was for a D35 axle but the exact same procedure... http://www.4lo.com/94jeep/lock-right-d35c/install.php

Then it started snowing, so I bolted the cover back on with some RTV and went off to play.... and I have to work later today. Hoping to get gear oil in later this afternoon and give it a good test.

During our little snow event I am learning that the Burb does not want to stay in 4wd. A little research and asking some questions and it looks like I will be taking the beast in for new fork pads in the xfer case and also new mounts for the trans and xfer casse. Also since they have it they'll do a full transmission service. Hope to get that done before Friday and the Winter Safari

Have the Burb scheduled at the local transmission shop for drop off Monday. They say no problem getting it back to me before Thursday.

Got the burb back from the trans shop today. They did a complete transmission service, replaced the transmission and transfer case mount and replaced pads on the shift fork in the transfer case. The on road drive seems to have improved a bit, in the sense that the transmission seems to shift better and engages better from the start. I don't know if that makes sense.. but it is what it seems is happening. When I got home to the property this evening I tested the 4hi and lo. We are solid. I am very excited about the weekend and getting this big girl out on trails with the Winter Safari... I think the trails are mostly mild but I am seriously curious to see how she does.

As I am getting ready for departure tomorrow for the Winter Safari, I have been thinking about what I have done to this rig...
Steering stabilizer
Borgeson Steering Shaft
Lock Right Locker
Oil Change
New plugs/wires
New cap and rotor
New map sensor
LED lighting throughout
Transmission service
transfer case rebuild
Fused 12 v to the rear area

Not bad in less than 2 months. I am packed and ready to get on the road in the morning. Hoping she does well on the trails. Honestly pictures I have seen from last year's winter safari don't look like trails are harder than what I do everyday just getting out of my property :)

Well the old girl had a great first outing in Mortimer, NC. I am totally impressed. The trails we did were tight and twisty, with a few difficult spots. Honestly more obstacles than I had ever planned for this rig, but she walked it all. I am glad I put the rear locker in... I idled over sections that others struggled with. I ma more than satisfied with the off road performance. sadly I do not have any decent pics of the off road part of the weekend with the Blue Ridge Expeditions Winter Safari, but I have a few others. Also, slept last night in the second seat. Super comfy and warmer than the tent... helps being 5'6" of course
IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6262.JPG
IMG_6270.JPG

Have to admit I am back on the fence about Jeep vs. Burb. Can't shake it. Need to find a spare pile of cash laying around so I can keep both. When I drive the jeep I am all in. When I drive the Burb, I am all in. MAybe I put them BOTH up for sale and see what sells first... Maybe I talk to a psychiatrist - shut up, you all need to also :looney

Back
Top Bottom