1991 Suburban 2500

Well as duty called us to travel to Georgia and back over the last 48 hours... about 700 miles total... the burb got her first highway shakedown run. Ran approx. 14 mpg. PO said it got better than that but I can live with 14 for the moment. She ran flawlessly. I still need to work on steering as previously mentioned, and getting the cruise control back working would be nice... and getting a real radio would be nice (if we all want John to keep his head about him... and we do)...

All in all I am very pleased with the truck so far. She is very happy at 55 - 65... just lopes along. A definite preference for the 2 lanes rather than the interstate, which suits me just fine. So is Ann, which is 90% of the battle.

John

Installed the ODR steering box brace today. Pretty straightforward. Had to grind a bit to avoid the oil cooler lines. Will report back after I go for a test drive.

Also looking for a set of mudflaps. Any sources?

We are off on our annual Christmas adventure... (OK, not a real adventure... but...) As my kids have gotten older and my daughter got married, we do a little trip every year in the days following Christmas. The idea is as everyone grows up and obligations on Christmas day spread far and wide, we reserve a little time for all of us to get away from real life and celebrate. Wife and I foot the bill. Last year we stayed in Ashville and took Joe (and the older kids) to ride the Polar Express. This year we are in Roanoke, staying within walking of downtown and toroughly enjoying it. So John, why this in your build thread? Easy folks... this is one of the many roles of the Suburban. We all fit inside and roll in comfort :D

Does it have TBI or carb?
Matt it is TBI... I thnk I can get better mileage but need help in the tuning. For instance, when I did plugs I found info on gapping at 35 and also at 45. The plugs that came out were in good shape but gapped between 38 and 43 or so... I do not know if this becomes just a matter of trial and error or not. This is my first ever Chevy 350 and I am just starting to learn about it. Figured fuel cost for the trip, since we took one vehicle instead of 2, we actually saved $20 compared to what we would have spent. and we all got to ride together.

Finally got the radio worked out. Needed to replace the antenna wire, mount and antenna. Also today wired in a little fuse box, hooked up fog lights on the bumper and got it ready for running the dedicated 12v for the fridge... Hope to get to that tomorrow.

John

Mounted my winch on the Burb today. The Engo 9000 is undersized but better than nothing. Install went fine, had to drill some new holes since the old school Warn bumper was designed for the 8274. This pretty much commits me to taking the Burb to the Winter Safari here in NC later this month.
IMG_6228.JPG
IMG_6227.JPG
IMG_6226.JPG

Mounted my winch on the Burb today. The Engo 9000 is undersized but better than nothing. ...snip...
Well, not really undersized that much - you can make it work for you very effectively. What you need is to put some SCIENCE in your recovery kit. Specifically, use some of that PHYSICS-stuff. Two recovery pulleys, a couple of 3/4" screw-pin shackles, some solid 12' tree straps and you'll be able to drag that Chevrolet Tuna Boat of yours all over the NC woods.

But I'm definitely not liking that recovery hook on the end of the steel rope for your big 'ol Suburban; equipment suppliers don't always put rated equipment on their lines in order to keep costs low. Not much of a shoulder on the hook and the safety gate at the mouth looks pretty flimsy. I'd give Scotty or Mike a holler and see if they got something laying around their shops to replace that hook... for safety's sake.

Well, not really undersized that much - you can make it work for you very effectively. What you need is to put some SCIENCE in your recovery kit. Specifically, use some of that PHYSICS-stuff. Two recovery pulleys, a couple of 3/4" screw-pin shackles, some solid 12' tree straps and you'll be able to drag that Chevrolet Tuna Boat of yours all over the NC woods.

But I'm definitely not liking that recovery hook on the end of the steel rope for your big 'ol Suburban; equipment suppliers don't always put rated equipment on their lines in order to keep costs low. Not much of a shoulder on the hook and the safety gate at the mouth looks pretty flimsy. I'd give Scotty or Mike a holler and see if they got something laying around their shops to replace that hook... for safety's sake.

+1 :coffee

Thanks Tango. I have a warn Snatch block and plenty of shackles, along with straps. I will look into the hook solution for sure. Never even thought about it, so thanks for the heads up.

Guessing something like this is a suitable replacement? http://www.quadratec.com/products/9...oglemerchant&gclid=CK_MpNOVkMoCFQEoHwodtfAP6g

FWIW, I ran a warn sling hook for years on the end of my steel cable. Never had a problem.

Is it the safest piece of kit? No.

Is it the weakest link? No.

If I were you I would change it out eventually, but it is more important to invest in a good line dampener, extra remote (old school toggle switch kind if you can find one), and proper training from a certified instructor such as @TangoBlue or @Dave

FWIW, I ran a warn sling hook for years on the end of my steel cable. Never had a problem.

Is it the safest piece of kit? No.

Is it the weakest link? No.

If I were you I would change it out eventually, but it is more important to invest in a good line dampener, extra remote (old school toggle switch kind if you can find one), and proper training from a certified instructor such as @TangoBlue or @Dave

Hey guys, I really do appreciate the input and am not against upgrading to safer products. I am against the prices that are charged for the latest "have to have" item whether it be for camping, wheeling, tools, whatever.

I too have never had a problem with a stock winch hook and this is the first I have ever had that even had a closure o_O I have been wheeling and winching since 1989 when I picked up a Jeep Scrambler... and have been winching for all that time. Have all my winch activities been perfect? No. I have however, recovered more vehicles in hairy rock crawling situations than I can remember all over the southeast, where clay, wet and rocks make up for some great winching opportunities, I also use the winch regularly to both help control the felling of trees and to skid logs and even to stretch pasture fence.

I am always up for training and appreciate the validity of the certification, but I am not a newbie in this.

Just letting you know where I am coming from.

John

John, just so you know, that link came off my Amazon wish list. It has been on there for at least 9 months. I have a similar hook to yours. With similar, but not as much, experiences. I suggested it based on, if you are going to spend money.....

Plus, the one you are looking at has an integrated bottle opener.

One of these days, I hope to swap out my open hook for a closed solution.

Damn, @jscusmcvet, do I detect a note of butt-hurt? John, nobody expects you go run out and start buying "bling-covery" gear to compete with the "bolt-ons on their bolt-ons" crowd. I also know you aren't new to this activity either, but I will educate you to make the wisest purchase you can and make the best of your treasure, while not cutting corners in order to be safe. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by suggesting better equipment or if I gave you cause to think you just fell off the pumpkin cart. I know you're an old gungy bastard. Big hug, buddy. :D

@Mr. Leary, Mike, I've never seen one fail either, and thanks for adding that observation. To amplify my recommendation to John, I trust my mentors - more learned users/experience that they have, totaling nearly a combined century that goes well beyond recreational trail riding, and trust empirical lab tests that indicate they will fail sooner than the one illustrated below. My observations, or @Dave's, aren't based on my/our personal experience necessarily, but rather on training, education, demonstration, testing, and certification from a well-developed curriculum. Which is why I referred you to Scott and Mike whom I regard as some of the best in the industry, and in your back yard, who wouldn't hesitate to "hook you up." That's where I'm coming from - to let you know - I'm not getting jack-squat from recommending safe practices or good equipment, except the knowledge that if you choose to accept it you and your passengers might be safer and there will be one less statistic to report. I could have just as easily ignored your post... but I didn't because you're on this forum and you trust we will give you honesty in return.

Take this image of a hook. This is a perfectly acceptable piece of kit, not as safe as a closed system, but none-the-less tried and true and providing reliable service since JC started working high-steel. Note the broad shoulders of the slip hook that better support a steel screw-pin recovery shackle, recovery pulley, or the folded eye loops of a strap that further wrap around to protect the safety gate pin from damage. What you can't see are the cast in ratings or certification of the hook. There are other low-cost thimbles that are milled from Aluminum. All of which are independently tested to failure and certified for specific loads greater than you will likely ever apply. Or, go with the one not tested or certified from the lowest bidder to meet a price point of a consumer who doesn't know the difference. My point is get smart on this stuff and you can have a perfectly reliable, safe, and economic recovery system that will give you a lifetime of service. Or, just ignore my advice - your call buddy. I'll still join you on the trail... I'll just stand farther away.

Like the saying goes, "friends don't let friends drink bad coffee."
hook-yellow-2.jpg
images

Haha I knew the "butt hurt" would come out when I posted that. :coffeesmile @TangoBlue I was investigating your idea, which was why I posted the question about the Warn hook in post #33. I am quite sure that my feelings were not hurt.... wait a minute... let me check, feelings... feelings... feelings... :spy nope still don't have any... No harm no foul boys. I apologize if it seemed otherwise. Just trying to let folks know where I am coming from.:tango (that is me... typical crotchedy old bastard)

I am happy to learn. I will be seeing Scott and Mike over the next couple of months at a few events. One of them a training event, to be able to serve as trail guides in their future events (see... I embrace training). I will check with them then, if I don't do something sooner.

Thanks again for the input...

John

Back
Top Bottom