Yikes, Australia introducing HERPES into fresh water...

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
Now that I have your attention...I'm not a biologist, chemist, but this just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I can't name them off the top of my head, other than the obvious "killer bees", but it seems a lot of biological warfare we've tried over the years has gone wrong in the end with unintended consequences. Maybe if they hadn't used the word "herpes" it would sound as ominous.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/1/11548946/australia-carp-herpes-budget

The Australian government has committed $15 million (about $11.4 million US) of its federal budget to help eradicate the country's carp population, The Guardian reports. The budget will go toward a plan that will introduce a carp-specific herpes virus into Australia's river system. Australia is currently in the middle of what Science Minister Christopher Pyne reportedly called "carp-aggedon."

Scientists from Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) have been testing the virus, known as CyHV-3, for seven years to make sure it won't have any unintended consequences on Australia's ecosystem. CSIRO has tested the virus on several of the country's native fish and other animals, according to The Guardian. The virus will be introduced into the country's freshwater system in stages, which will be overseen by a task force.

Carp-aggedon

The virus will reportedly take around seven days to have a noticeable impact on a fish, when it will destroy the carp's skin and kidneys. Around 24 hours after a carp presents these symptoms, it will die, according to The Guardian. If this makes you feel sad, you should know that carp are an invasive species that harm the country's native wildlife, mostly by consuming their sources of food. Australia's government estimates the economic impact of carp to be around $500 million per year, according to The Guardian.

Carp is one of the most common freshwater fish in the world, because the species is able to tolerate many different habitats and living conditions. Adult carp have no natural predators. "The common carp is a nasty pest in our waterways and makes up 80 percent of fish biomass in the Murray Darling Basin," Pyne said in an announcement, according to The Guardian.

The government hopes the virus will kill 95 percent of the river's carp population over the next three decades, according to ABC News.

Carp, snakeheads, invasive species are a big problem and not just down under. It's pretty crazy how much damage some of these fish can do.

I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I understand that they are a problem. I've seen several documentaries on their invasion going towards the Great Lakes, and what an ecological disaster that could be. I agree that something must be done.

I was somewhat amused by the statement in the article that the virus had been tested on "several" native species. I would truly be surprised if there are no repercussions from the experiment. I'm sure they have done their homework regarding any layman type questions I could present, there is no way they could test it under all of the situations that Mother Nature could present.

Well, with salt water crocs and other denizens teeming in Australia's waters I'm sure to never swim there.

But I agree with you in that there is no way man can meddle on this level and have it be a tidy affair.

there is no way man can meddle on this level and have it be a tidy affair.

Well put, and I agree with you both. This from the same country that started the great emu war and lost.

I guess we can expect ARB to start making chest waders for the Aussie's to scout out water crossings... would hate to get a fish born STD.

This reminds me of the gypsy moth fiasco here in the East over the last couple decades. Some dumb ass scientist imported some gypsy moth larva into the States to produce silk I believe. Gypsy moth webbing doesn't make silk so he released them which in turn almost destroyed the white oak forests of this region. Hectare after hectare of dead, standing white oak that was once the veneer heart of the world. So what did other biologists do? They released the Hemlock Loper to kill the gypsy moth. Killed and damaged more hemlocks than any imported moth is what happened. Now they've got to deal with the Loper so they release these little parasite wasps (actually stumbled on Penn State biologists releasing these damn things) to kill the lopers and gypsy moths. It works to a certain extent as these wasps did their job but they also planted their larva in more friendly of insect species including honey bees. I've come to the conclusion that most scientists have no idea of unintended consequences.

I've come to the conclusion that most scientists have no idea of unintended consequences.

It's not unique to scientists. It's part of the human condition. One would hope that scientists, of all people groups, would be smart enough to know better. You're right though, they're often the worst offenders. "Let's split the atom... what's the worst that could happen...

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhgavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." ~ R. Oppenheimer

Back
Top Bottom