Window shopping. No, really, I'm shopping for windows

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
Hoping that there may be some good advice to be had here even as I stretch the boundaries of "homestead".

We live in vintage 1984 tract housing in the mid-Atlantic area. Although I will tackle much as DIY, window replacement just isn't something I want to take on.

So we're shopping for replacements. The house has typical builder grade aluminum-framed double glass with grids between the glass. The seals have deteriorated on several (over half) to the point of near-permanent internal condensation which leads me to thinking replacement. The current ones are single-hung (bottom sash moves up and down, top half is immovable). I understand the basics of multi-layers and low-E glass. I've got the basics of sash material
-Vinyl: Cheaper, low maintenance, potential for shape changes
-Composite: Stonger, low maintenance, higher cost
-Wood: Natural warmer appearance, classic looks, higher maintenance, higher cost. Probably not worth it in this neighborhood or in my budget.

We will likely sell and move within 1-2 years but our approach is generally to fix it/maintain it like it needs to last much longer.

I dread shopping for this as its one of those jobs where you have to sit through a presentation of "why my window is best and you need to sign a contract now" from several different folks to even compare what's available.

We are strong/resistant enough to withstand the "sign now" pressure.

All that was said to lead to my questions. Anyone have experience, recommendations for gotchas to watch for in the shopping process? Extras that usually come up but don't get considered in the estimate/commitment process?

Thanks.

Without being able to see your actual window set-up here's some things to consider...

*Whether your exterior/interior trim can be re-used/salvaged or will it have to replaced.
*Insulating the side and head spaces.
*Possible sill repair or replacement dependent on condition mostly the result of water damage.
*Interior offset of new windows. Sometimes new windows are shallower or deeper than your current ones.
*Proper caulking during installation.

As far as windows be aware that Anderson windows ain't what they use to be and customer service has been pretty bad as far as warranty work lately. But they should work fine if you get them for the right price. Pella makes a good window but pricey. I like Peachtree windows especially the vinyl clad wood ones. Good choice of exterior colors, they have a nice hardware set-up and first rate customer service. I'm not a fan of full vinyl windows, there OK for a garage or shed but not truly suited for a lifetime of use in a home. Bear in mind that when you go to sell the home good windows will add significant equity to the house.

I have been repairing the double hung single pane windows that were originally installed in the house we currently own. I looked at all the replacement windows Haggis mentioned above before this endeavor and before knowing the extent of repairs that were needed. I would have chosen the Peachtree windows based on price, quality, ease of retrofit installation. Since you are planning to sell within two years, I would consider calling a glass replacement contractor to get a quote of repairing your current windows. We had vinyl windows in the last house (didn't like them) that needed glass repair and were surprised at the low cost of replacing just the glass.

-Andy

Thanks for the feedback. The exterior trim needs to be replaced no matter what we do. I'm willing to take that on myself if needed but would let them do that rather than pay for reinstalling the crappy stuff -- even if they could.

(We haven't ruled out just replacing the fogged ones. Good point. We replaced the glass in one of the sliding doors several years ago when the interior side glass shattered one morning while we were eating breakfast. The cost was low enough to be below the deductible on our HO insurance although we used the company the ins co recommended.)

I hadn't even thought about vinyl clad wood. Will check into that and Peachtree.

Back
Top Bottom