We are getting a kayak!

Scott B.

Adventurist
We have been thinking about getting a kayak for a number of years. The Appalachian Rendezvous of the past 2 years has really pushed the idea...

We stopped by Outside World near Dahlonega "just to look". They carry Native, Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Hobie and a couple of others.

Not knowing exactly what style to get, we talked with (OK, listened to) one of their knowledgeable folks. He asked some questions, showed us some boats - and one really caught our eyes. Surprisingly, it's a tandem. I was expecting to get 2 kayaks - 2 people, 2 boats. I guess not...

The boat we like is a Jackson Kayak - the Kilroy DT. We were able to get in it, and paddle around their pool. It is roomy and comfortable - it looks like we can camp out of it for a week (or a month!)

I have read the various searching for and review of kayak threads on here, and appreciate the wealth of knowledge and information available. It made my searching my easier/quicker.

The plan is to pick it up one day this week, and take it with us camping this weekend!

My wife and I have stopped in there for the same exact advice. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. You've sparked my interest again.

Anything made by Jackson is top shelf, and the Kilroy is a pretty versatile design for your region - Congrats!

:pics

We brought it home tonight!

kayak1.jpg

I need to get some pads (pipe insulation) for the racks.

I carries just fine - I think I will move the forward bar towards the front of the shell to lift the bow just a little. And, ensure the boat clears the teardrop.

It carried fine - no additional wind noise.

kayak2.jpg

EDIT: The boat does have seats (very comfortable ones!) - they are in the garage.

We should be on the water Saturday afternoon!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom