Thule buys Tepui

Well since Yakima has their line of RTTs.....

Yes, it was only a matter of time before Thule would respond to that move and this was it. I think that Thule one upped Yakima with the addition of Tepui.

But... let’s be real. ALL these RTT’s are coming from the same 2 or 3 factories in China. Take a hard look and they’re all clones of one flavor or another.

But I digress. Good on Thule for getting in the game, this is good for enthusiasts.

Yep, I was looking at the Yakima tent the other day in one of my local outdoor retailers. It's a weekend type nylon tent in my opinion, not a hard use item (and who wants a red tent? Seems and odd color choice). Anyone can go on one of the Chinese goods sites like aliexpress, DHGate, etc and order all of the rooftop tents they want, they all look similar. You usually need to order multiple units though, especially for discounts. In fact, you can order roof racks, snorkels, awnings, etc. shipped right to your door or a place with a loading dock.

Yep, I was looking at the Yakima tent the other day in one of my local outdoor retailers. It's a weekend type nylon tent in my opinion, not a hard use item (and who wants a red tent? Seems and odd color choice).

True. I think Yakima chose that as it's company colors, and to draw attention. I dislike loudly colored RTT's and camping gear myself, including the obnoxious colors Tepui uses.

True. I think Yakima chose that as it's company colors, and to draw attention. I dislike loudly colored RTT's and camping gear myself, including the obnoxious colors Tepui uses.

Ah, the company colors would make some sense, hadn't thought of that. Yeah not a fan of garish colors myself, not that I want something all military looking either though; I like that gray man look with a bit of dirtbag climber thrown in. LOL I actually climbed up the ladder of the display unit and stuck my head in it and it just seemed odd to have a red interior, it just didn't seem outdoorsy or like it'd be pleasant and relaxing, more like chasing after the Red October or something.

I actually climbed up the ladder of the display unit and stuck my head in it and it just seemed odd to have a red interior, it just didn't seem outdoorsy or like it'd be pleasant and relaxing, more like whorish or something.

Fixed it for you... :D
1545339446674.png

Oh yeah, don't think I didn't think of it (I actually made a comment about it reminding me of Amsterdam to my buddy working there*):D, I just didn't want anyone to think my mind was in the gutter. :pope

* By that I mean only what I've heard about Amsterdam of course. Never been to King's Cross either.
:keyboard

Yep, I was looking at the Yakima tent the other day in one of my local outdoor retailers. It's a weekend type nylon tent in my opinion, not a hard use item (and who wants a red tent? Seems and odd color choice).

Off topic: As a Skyrise owner I can attest to using mine Monday through Friday, in such cream puff locations as Russell's Cabin (DV) and the peak of Mt. Trumbull in a calming t-storm (that was a Thursday IIRC). :D

The red light tent material just makes it easier to find follwing a Captain infused campfire. ;)

On topic: Thule acquiring Tepui should help with some of the customer service and warranty issues their tents have been involved with, and having a broad based 1-800 network with a deeper source of readily available spare parts/specialty items should only bolster the brand.

There is a definite difference from buying direct from China versus through a company in the US who sources through China. The US company uses the cheaper labor but dictates the quality control. This is a huge ongoing thing in the machining industry as well. Those companies actually have their employees in the plants in China doing the QC and if they don’t accept it then it doesn’t get shipped and the Chinese manufacturer then sells them on their own. I am curious to what degree the bigger RTT companies such as Tepui (pre buy out) and CVT do this. I’ve had conversations with Bobby about it and he has said they definitely dictate the level of quality they will accept and the ownous of the mistake is on the manufacturer. If you get inside and actually inspect the different tents there is a very noticeable difference in quality.

Sorta makes you wonder if when you buy from alibaba or somewhere similar if you’re getting the rejects.

Sorta makes you wonder if when you buy from alibaba or somewhere similar if you’re getting the rejects.

Makes sense because they’re selling them somewhere....

Off topic, but I would never buy from Ali Baba...

... Ali Baba means thief in Arabic BTW. Caveat Emptor.

Makes sense because they’re selling them somewhere....

Off topic, but I would never buy from Ali Baba...

... Ali Baba means thief in Arabic BTW. Caveat Emptor.
Still more off topic... ah, geez... you went and did it. I have never heard that before... about Ali Baba meaning thief in Arabic, so I had to go look it up, since I recalled a simply different word altogether. :confused:

"Las" - thief, burglar, robber, bandit - لص

"Ali Baba" is the fictional woodcutter and hero of a Medieval Arabic story supposed to be from the Arabian Nights, who discovered the magic incantation, “Open Sesame!”, that opened a cave where forty robbers kept their treasure. In Arabic slang, calling someone Ali Baba is to infer an extremely lucky person, especially one who acquires a large fortune by luck or by chance.

The name "Ali Baba" was often used as derogatory slang by American and Iraqi soldiers and their allies in the Iraq War, to describe individuals suspected of a variety of offenses related to theft and looting. Additionally, British soldiers routinely used the term to refer to Iraqi civilians. In the subsequent occupation, it is used as a general term for the insurgents. Conversely, Iraqis adopted the term "Ali Baba" to describe foreign (e.g., American) troops suspected of looting.

If this was AFRTS, you would be hearing Paul Harvey's voice saying, "And now you know the rest of the story." :D

Arabic. Arabic slang. Same to me as that's what was commonly used to describe a petty thief, or the act of stealing, by the Iraqis I knew during my long vacations there.

We had better names for the insurgents.

Arabic. Arabic slang. Same to me as that's what was commonly used to describe a petty thief, or the act of stealing, by the Iraqis I knew during my long vacations there.

We had better names for the insurgents.
LOL... but of course... :rofl

Back
Top Bottom