The Off-Grid Farm…. 3 Years

WAND3R3R

Adventurist
In Aug of 2010 I sold a big house in the Burbs and moved into my Bigfoot Truck Camper on my 20 acre off-grid farm in Central Kentucky. I have worked overseas in Africa for about 18 months in the last 3 years, but when not working overseas, traveling or just wandering… I have been happy on the farm….

Below is a link to details of my off-grid farm,

http://www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com/p/off-grid-farm.html

I know that the big house in the Burbs is the American Dream for many, but for me it was not!

-AK

Wow that looks wonderful, I'd love to live there!! Need an assistant farm hand or something??? ;)

Thanks for sharing! I've thought about this very thing only with an old airstream as a more permanent "house," then having another vehicle set up for DD and travel usage.

Love your willingness to go for it.

FJRanger, Thanks for having a look!
Scott C, the property is 20 acres, it's in the county and therefore has fewer restrictions than city property. It is very close to town and has neighbors w/in about half a mile, but at the some time a very private setting. Thanks for looking!
-AK

Fowldarr, thanks for having a look!
travis.diller, San Diego is one of my favorite cities! Sounds like your urban homestead is in a great location!
-AK

Nice! Awesome set up you got there.
We did that awhile, (8 yrs or so), put in a very VERY expensive solar array and two inverters w/ bank after bank of batteries. Solar is not what it's cracked up to be. If you are solar, 3-5yrs out and your battery bank will need replaced, just like a car battery. Shortly followed by the inverters. Appliances will weaken by the surges and power drops and will be next.

Our mistake, (very stupid) was a propane frig. Keeps temps about 40 below ambient . . . Guess what happened when we hit 110 F plus. Not enough solar power so we added more for an electric frig.

We also had no water supply, in the desert water is scarce. We hauled our water from the nearest well 25 miles away. Just last summer we drilled a well. Good to have our own water. I can fire up the generator to pump if the grid goes down.

Finally, we brought up power, call me a whimp, but air conditioning in Arizona comes in HANDY at times. Evap coolers are no good in monsoon summer.

Our nearest "town" is a semi ghost town on rt 66 where the well is that we got water. All dirt to there.

Roads are better now but we have busted lower A-arms, busted axle housings, busted tailgate henges not to mention flat after flat tire, bent/broken rims, and the sand blasting to the bare metal by the tires throwing back dirt.

Weve been here awhile now, (about 15 yrs) and ain't leaving. We got 80 acres of dirt desert and a constant supply of fresh lizzard and rattlesnakes, they ain't bad neighbors if you learn to respect them, less deadly than humans for certain.

I'll stay ON the grid and be a ready mofo when it takes a dump.

DesertFront, Nice info you provided, yes you are correct about solar, I have many friends that have the same problems. I have a small solar set-up for charging laptop, cell phone and other small items. I have a 2000w generator for all else. I have NO A/C and it can suck in Kentucky when it's 99 degrees and humid! But I have not caved-in for going on grid yet… maybe one day? After I built the shade structure over the Bigfoot Camper it helped reduce temps on hot days by 20 degrees inside the camper…. I have plenty of H20 with a rain catchment system, but find I don't need a lot of water, for showers, cooking and drinking…maybe 5-6 gallons a day tops! Zodi shower, berkey water filter are off-grid too...
To water the gardens, I have a pond with sump-pump and generator so it's easy to keep things green!
Off grid is more about living with the realization that I can't plug-in all kinds of appliances at once and things need to be planned out better concerning energy management. It's not something most people think about until they lose power in their McMansions… then they will realize what I'm talking about. Off grid is not for everyone but I've enjoyed it so far.
-AK

Rain catching wasn't really an option here in AZ like it would be in Kentucky. and yeah, I hear ya about the AC. Summers here were in the 110 plus for weeks on end. Two of our neighbors died from heat stroke my wife suffered from heat stress too. But we came through. To live off grid is good, unless you have to pump water from 700+ ft down straight up to the surface, then you'll need a little more than 2000 watts. Also something people don't believe when I tell them is count up and add ALL your watt usage, with the phantom watts included, and times it by 5. That is what size power watt source you need. Then you can start illuminating the stupid use, huh.

We took and still take military type showers. Wet down, soap up and rinse, get out. No standing there for a half hr singing away. I learned while hauling, water is PRECIOUS and keep my 2500 gal holding tank full. Let it go empty and that's when, (by Murphy's law) the truck breaks down or the well pump takes a dump.

Another thing when you go to build, the bigger the McMansion, the more to heat and cool. We have about a 700 sq ft single wide mobile and for two, it's MORE than enough. People these days want bigger and better but it's too costly for living out.

We had, for the longest time, no cell and Internet service. Then hughes satelite came, (it sucks), and now within the last week we got 3 bars of 4G out here. Now hughes is going bye-bye and were going MiFi from the phone comp.

your set up looks great and sounds great.

I know what you mean about pumping water… I dug a well 2 years ago, we hit 25 gallons a min at 230 ft depth, and piped it to the surface with a cap on the pipes for now. I would need to add electric power to a pump in order to get it running. Not going to do it yet but it's an option in the future. For internet, I too use MiFi and it works well, but I take advantage of free internet at the local library only 5 mins from my 20 acres when I can. I found that you can only live in one room at a time and the more space you have the the more junk you acquire to fill the space. I am passed the "keeping up with the Jones" phase of my life, I prefer people who enjoy a campfire with a can of beer rather than fondu and a bottle of 45 dollar wine! Not that wine and fondu are bad things….lol

I know what you mean about pumping water… I dug a well 2 years ago, we hit 25 gallons a min at 230 ft depth, and piped it to the surface with a cap on the pipes for now. I would need to add electric power to a pump in order to get it running. Not going to do it yet but it's an option in the future. For internet, I too use MiFi and it works well, but I take advantage of free internet at the local library only 5 mins from my 20 acres when I can. I found that you can only live in one room at a time and the more space you have the the more junk you acquire to fill the space. I am passed the "keeping up with the Jones" phase of my life, I prefer people who enjoy a campfire with a can of beer rather than fondu and a bottle of 45 dollar wine! Not that wine and fondu are bad things….lol

Oh yeah, me too, well, I had to quit the alcohol cause I'm one of those who don't mix well with it. I have a fire ring in my yard for that very reason. I'll cook my generic hot dogs and drink my diet generic coke with it too. Lol

if you don't want to go grid, jump up to about 5 to 8k watt generator and plump your well pump to a holding tank with a "shallow well" pump. Lite up the gen when the tank gets low long enough to pump it full. We can go several mos on our 2500 gal tank if needs be. Heck, you could even use a 12 v on demand RV pp from the tank to hse.

Back
Top Bottom