Panasonic Lumix GX1 questions?

mtnbike28

Adventurist
Founding Member
Panasonic Lumix GX1 questions?

I am looking at a Panasonic Lumix GX1 micro four thirds camera, I am wondering if anyone had used one and compared to say a Nikon D7000. Will I be disappointed with images compared to the dSLR?

Figure it's about 60% of the way to an SLR over an average point-and-shoot in terms of image quality and control. The good point-and-shoots (like the Canon S-series) aren't that far behind these days and have RAW+full manual control, so if size is the concern 4/3rds almost isn't worth it anymore. Sony is really the only exception to this rule with phenomenal image quality, but wow they are expensive.

I recently sold my GX1 (well, about a year now) and moved up to a 70D. I loved the GX1 and it does many things well, but micro-4/3 still can't capture the same level of detail as even a crop sensor SLR. You won't notice it much during daylight, but getting into sunset, evening, or even golden-hour where motion is a factor it left something to be desired. Milky way shots are practically impossible with it, and star trails are difficult at best. You'll also start seeing noticeable amounts of noise around ISO400, and it becomes unusably noisy around ISO800. So not only is less light making it to the smaller sensor, there's less options to make up for it.

That said, the final nail in the coffin for my GX1 was the cost of lenses. For example, the wide-angle I need for shooting huge landscapes or the interior of vehicles/campers costs around $1,300 on the 4/3 platform. The same (better) lens for the 70D cost $600. Miniaturization is expensive... :)

Thanks Chazz, I was hoping you would answer since you have used both. It's funny, I own a Canon EF-S 10-22mm I got for a Northern Lights trip years ago and was going to sell it, but wanted to check it out, so I borrowed a 40d, and man I like that lens! Everything else I own is Nikon, so I have not committed to starting a new system.

I was looking for a cheap EDC Photo A Day/Street photography camera.

The EF-S 10-22mm is one of my favorites (second only to the 50mm f1.4 actually). The comparable 4/3rds lens is the 7-14mm, which running the math falls just a tad narrower.

That was my plan as well with the GX1. It does well, especially with the 20mm pancake, but can be a little frustrating when dusk comes. I have a Canon S100 on me most of the time and it actually does better in low light than the GX1 (and is more pocketable). Even more surprising, the S100 handles ISO better than the GX1 (noise is barely noticeable at ISO400, and still usable at ISO800). Of course, the S-series lacks a range of lenses to play with, and has no external flash or viewfinder options.

A fun plus on the 4/3rds side: you can get adapters for most SLR lenses, including Nikon. :)

The D7000 has better noise control and much faster AF (when using the viewfinder). You can adapt lenses for the MILC class of cameras, some of them lose some functionality, but it works. They're better for weight, but the larger sensor size of the APS-C sensor over the micro 4/3rds helps with DOF control and low light shots.

I had a D7000 since they first came out for my crop body/third back up, just sold it and it was an absolute favorite of mine. Rock solid pro-Sumer class body, but you need to spend the money on good glass. Sold a Nikkor 12-24 f/4 and nikon 35 f/1.8 with it, two of the better DX lenses you could have, outside of the Sigma 18-35 monster.

spacer.gif

This thread makes my brain hurt. I have no clue what you photographic wizards are talking about but you do take pretty pictures. :tango

When I left my last job, I turned in 5dmkII and 1ds, all prime glass and zooms for video. I bought the D7000 since I already owned Nikon primes (older) from 16 to 300. I am looking for a cheap and fun EDC

The D7000 has better noise control and much faster AF (when using the viewfinder). You can adapt lenses for the MILC class of cameras, some of them lose some functionality, but it works. They're better for weight, but the larger sensor size of the APS-C sensor over the micro 4/3rds helps with DOF control and low light shots.

I had a D7000 since they first came out for my crop body/third back up, just sold it and it was an absolute favorite of mine. Rock solid pro-Sumer class body, but you need to spend the money on good glass. Sold a Nikkor 12-24 f/4 and nikon 35 f/1.8 with it, two of the better DX lenses you could have, outside of the Sigma 18-35 monster.

spacer.gif

This thread makes my brain hurt. I have no clue what you photographic wizards are talking about but you do take pretty pictures. :tango

Amen. I can find the camera app on my phone. Does that count?

Really wish I knew more about photography. I have a Canon Powershot SX510 which I'm pretty sure these guys would laugh at and poke with a stick.

Keep taking great pictures fellas!

Amen. I can find the camera app on my phone. Does that count?

Really wish I knew more about photography. I have a Canon Powershot SX510 which I'm pretty sure these guys would laugh at and poke with a stick.

Keep taking great pictures fellas!

I do too! What the hell is Jay talking about? I think he's just messin' with us now... :tango

When I left my last job, I turned in 5dmkII and 1ds, all prime glass and zooms for video. I bought the D7000 since I already owned Nikon primes (older) from 16 to 300. I am looking for a cheap and fun EDC
I've thought about a MILC system for fun on the hike snap shots and keeping one of my D800s for the "serious" shots if only due to the weight. A pro body and some 2.8 glass with a tripod and a pouch of filters gets heavy fast.

Last year I took all of that (D800 and Sigma 24-70 f/2.8) plus 3 speedlights, radio triggers, CamRanger and ipad to The Window to take a self portrait of contemplation. The shot turned out just as I planned but damn that was heavy for even a short hike like that.

All the Canon P&S were a step above the field. As Chazz said "As they say, the best camera is the one you have with you." and I will add you know how to use.... that was my reason for interest in a MILC

Back
Top Bottom