Northeastern Trip-ulations: a Clan Haggis Mis-Adventure

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Chapter One...The Adirondacks, Little Jersey and a Fort

Sometimes the best family trips result from the most haphazard of planning. And this pretty well describes how our last family trip came together. Three weeks before this trip we didn’t even know where we were going for sure. But with some last minute planning and letting the kids take the lead on where we were heading a trip came together. So during the third week of July we pointed our Tundra Fafhrd towards the Northeast portion of the country and rolled some asphalt under the tires. The Minions decide that they wanted to go revisit some of their favorite spots in the Adirondacks from trips past, but Michelle and I had pretty much written off that area after years of travelling there. To spruce up the trip a bit we decided to do a few days in Vermont as well as that state would be new territory for us.

Heading out on the road the rain came down in a steady curtain from the overcast skies. Quickly we were out of Pennsylvania and rolling through the Southern Tier of New York. Rolling hills and farmlands passed by as we traveled along and the rain started to slack off.

IMGP0219.jpg

We weren’t in any rush and had put in effect the “Clan Travel Rule” which states…”Ifin’ its historical, scenic or odd just speak up and we’ll check it out.” The first thing to catch our attention was a covered bridge and according to Michelle “All covered bridges must be crossed…no exceptions.”

IMGP0220.jpg

IMGP0222.jpg

As we passed along the route the kids kept remarking on all the Duncan Donut shops in every rural town we drove through. Despite their child like pleas we refused to stop…which brought about the “Great Blanket Protest of 2013”. I thought of it as “Occupy Tundra” and made about as much sense as other occupying movements…

IMGP0225.jpg

As morning turned to midday we stopped at an old A&W drive-in diner complete with bellhops to snag some grub. Allison decided then and there that this was the type of greasy spoon we should open one day.

Finally we were entering the southern tier of the Adirondack Park and found ourselves travelling through some great scenery. Every once in a while we would stop along one of the myriad rock strewn streams to explore and poke around.

IMGP0227.jpg
IMGP0229.jpg

IMGP0230.jpg

IMGP0231.jpg

After much mucking around we arrived at our chosen campsite of Roger’s Rock, a state run campground just south of Fort Ticonderoga and situated on Lake George. We stopped and registered in at the check in with the rangers and made our way towards are spot. This is when we hit our first set back of this trip. We had entered what appeared to be a refugee camp or as my daughter labeled it “Little Jersey”.

Yes, about every campsite was full of New Jersey people, I have never seen so many badly tattooed, overweight, and loud mouth people in my life. F-bombs came every fourth word or so and that was just the kids and the grandmothers. Camp gear littered each site looking like a tsunami of WalMart debris was deposited as jetsam after a raucous storm. And the empty alcohol bottles…I’ve seen redneck bars with less cast-offs in their dumpsters and parking lots than what was scattered on the ground and over picnic tables here. Food, coolers and cast-offs encircled the tables also. This was the first state I’ve been to that had an open bottle policy in their state parks. It was obvious that there were no bears about, because they would have had a field day here. We drove through the campground roads in a state of disbelief and then came across our campsite. Supposedly it was a drive in site, but actually it was a pull off into a rutted stony ditch barely big enough for the Tundra and having a sever camber. Sleeping in the Maggie just wasn’t going to work here, so back to the check in to find a new site.

We found one, luckily situated between a Vermont couple and some New York folks, and set up camp for the next couple days.

DSC00443.jpg

We fixed up some calzones for dinner and listen to the sounds of harmonious nature…check that…we listen to the loud raucous calls of the Jersey Shores.

Allison was not pleased…

DSC00445.jpg

As day slipped to night there was no let-up and I was getting pissed, my boy Cam calmly stated that I could not blood eagle the whole campground on my own and suggested I get the ear plugs I use for work out to ease me into sleep. After some grumblin’ and stubbornness I relented and took the kid’s advice and grabbed the only pair of plugs in the truck. Crawling into the Maggie I drifted off to peaceful slumber.

The next morning the kids sounded more like me and were ready to channel their ancient Celtic and Norse ancestors and assault the campground. Apparently they didn’t sleep as well as I. Michelle tossed a cheese Danish their way which calmed them down and thus saved the lives of several hundred obnoxious campers. Good thing I had put the Hewing spears and axes into the lock box before I went to bed.

We left the campground early and made our way out before the yahoos woke up. Allison wanted to return to Whiteface Mountain once again and climb up the footpath to the top, so we headed over to Lake Placid to do so. Along the way we would stop at any spot that perked our interest…

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

IMGP0241.jpg

After much poking about we arrived at the start of the toll road to the summit of Whiteface Mountain. But the summit was blanketed by low clouds so we instead headed into the resort town of Lake Placid to check it out. My daughter loves these places, they drive me nuts. But one of my cardinal rules is “that you have to be willing to give up your own bliss to make somebody else happy.” What a dopey rule. So we run through the gauntlet of tourist and resorters and I successfully cleared the town without stopping in some yuppie ass shop. But then the boy spotted a mini-golf course and used his country boy charm on his mother…

So I’m at the first hole of a pirate themed mini-golf course. The boy is talking smack, the daughter has reverted to a giddy eight year old, the wife is enjoying the kids goofiness and I’m happy we stopped because of them all. It starts of well, I sink a hole in one on the first green, the boy shuts up and knows he’s been schooled…

IMGP0255.jpg

We do the course…I sink four holes in one, pwning my family. Allison comes in last…

IMGP0253.jpg

From the golf course we could see that the top of Whiteface had cleared off so we headed back over. On the toll road we winded along the bumpy, windy blacktop as we climbed up the mountains flank. Stopping at a pull off, we pulled out the lunch fixins and enjoyed a table with a great view…

IMGP0262.jpg

IMGP0264.jpg

Here’s a shot of Fafhrd half way up the mountain.

IMGP0263.jpg

We reached the top and squeezed through the Castle turnaround and parked the truck. Then it was time to start the climb up the path to reach the peak…

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

Cam celebrates his successful climb to the top…

DSCN0420.jpg

Than it was back down the mountain and on the road back to camp, with a few stops added in. One was at a store to buy some extra earplugs for the rest of the Clan. As we drove through the countryside Michelle and I noticed that the Adirondacks aren’t what they use to be. Everything looks run down except for a few popular resort areas. Gates and no trespassing signs are prevalent and abandoned hotels and cabins stand out like sets from a Rob Zombie movie. Old farmsteads return to the earth the resources that they were built from on a regular basis…

DSC00466.jpg

As we toured around we found a few dirt roads to explore, nothing to exciting but it was nice to get off the asphalt.

IMGP0292.jpg

And then we were back in Little Jersey. But wait…what’s this…its late Sunday afternoon and the campground has emptied out by two thirds at least. You can drive down the lanes, you don’t hear the F-word every fifth spoken word out of someone’s mouth, I can see animals scurrying about…much better. The bulk of the cars left have Vermont and New York plates. There is nary a Jersey plate anywhere. Gods be praised. We settled in and cooked up chicken over the coals and some sticky rice with some stir fried veggies. Than it was relatively peaceful despite the New York guy walking down the road screaming “I hate you bastards!” at nobody in particular. The Clan Chief was in a high state of situational awareness for a while.

The next day we decide to take a tour of Fort Ticonderoga as it was place I always had a desire to see. Having grown up on tales of Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys, Roger’s Rangers and even Benedict Arnold before he went turncoat I loved the history of the place. Here’s a fort built by the French, captured by the English during the French and Indian War, and then captured by the Americans during the Revolutionary war only to be recapture by the English after they lugged some big old cannons to the top of Mount Defiance across the lake from the Fort.

There is only a small portion of the Fort that is original but the reconstruction back in the 1800s did a good job of recreating it. Here’s a view of the Fort from the summit of Mount Defiance.

IMGP0287.jpg

Entering the ground we walked along the outer bailey…

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00471.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

And then entered the Fort itself…others had beat us here though.

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

Of course as a diehard black powder and blade guy I went to the Armory first…

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

Michelle likes to read every plaque and view every diorama, so the kids skittered ahead; I just lingered longer in the Armory.

IMGP0280.jpg

We poked in every room, examined the architecture, and discussed the merits of the place as a zombie apocalypse shelter. Then we loaded back up and ran up to the top of Mount Defiance. Don’t bother, the view isn’t that good and it’s a little hard to find. On the way back down my passenger front brake started making a noise, but I just checked the pads before I left and knew they were good. I wrote it off as a rotor glazing from all the breaking on the mountains and hoped it settle itself. This was a harbinger of problems to come though.

We tooled around and found a nice hiking trail to explore…

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

All sweated up we rolled back into camp and it was even emptier, cool. We settled in for some venison steaks and garlic potatoes and the rain started. At first it was sprinkle than it became a steady downpour. We put our Kelty tarp over the Maggie to give us a sheltered entrance at the first sign of rain and it was a good thing we did. It rained hard and steady all night long. Come morning everything was drenched and the kick in the pants was that we were gonna break camp this morning for our run into Vermont. We huddle in the kid’s tent and tried to wait it out but by 10:00 the rain was still steady. Screw it…we jumped to action in a small respite and threw the camp in the back of the truck. Better to be on the road than huddled in a tent. So with a truck bed full of wet gear we headed towards Vermont….

Last edited:
Another great yarn begins! Family trips are what it's all about, and with beautiful scenery and history aplenty (Fort Ticonderoga fer cryin out loud! Jealous!) you could'nt ask for more.

:popcorn

Mrs. was reminiscing about childhood visit to Ticonderoga not long ago. Looks like we're gonna hafta head to NY soon. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

Nice, Mark. My old stomping grounds.
Never ever go to Lake George in the Summer if you don't want to witness the Snookie syndrome...

Try Schroon Lake a little to the north. Nice and quiet.
Or do what my nephew does. He camps on the islands by boat. In fact, I think he was up there when you were.

Chapter Two: A Ferry, Waterfalls and Damn Hippies

We headed back past ole Fort Ticonderoga and ended up at a lake. Yep, there’s this big lake that takes up most of the border between New York and Vermont and you have two choices…go south and drive around it or take a ferry across. We chose a ferry, ‘cause there’s always a chance we might see Champy swimming in the depths of Lake Champlain.

IMGP0294.jpg

IMGP0298.jpg

We got directed on by a couple old duffers who obviously have done this a time or two, shelled out $9.00 for the ten minute ride and sailed the Tundra across the watery expanse…

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

In just a short time we were travelling through the rolling hills and farmlands of mid-state Vermont. The rain continued and the clouds hung low in the valleys.

IMGP0304.jpg

We were running late because of the rain and we had a destination that my daughter wanted to see today so we stuck to the main roads. I had planned on driving through a section of the Green Mountains utilizing a seasonal road that ran north from the town of Ripton and then east but with the heavy rain and loss of time I decide to stick along Route 125 and cut straight through the National Forest. Well the path we chose took us through some great scenery and the road itself was a winding and interesting one. Enough so that we know we need to come back and explore this area more in depth some time…

IMGP0305.jpg

As we cruised down the old 125 we came upon a granite boulder filled stream that was literally boiling with the run-off from the last 36 hours of rain. We pulled off at a turn-out to get a better look and Cam simply stated “That river is white death.” Fall into this creek and this time and you would be done for.

IMGP0302.jpg

Moving on down 125 we came upon a sign pointing to some place called “Texas Falls’. Intrigued we pulled down the road to a small Vermont State Park and with all the rain we beheld on of the nicest waterfalls we have ever stumbled across.

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

Even the feeder streams into the Texas Fall chutes were flowing epicly.

DSC00512.jpg

This sign seemed like a good idea…

DSC00513.jpg

The kids sure enjoyed our stop…

DSC00511.jpg

While we were here we made use of a picnic pavilion to fix up some lunch and then got rolling back down the highway. Soon we turned north on Route 100 which turned out to be another scenic road, though a more pastoral than wilderness feel. As we were tooling around we turned a corner and suddenly there was another waterfall right outside of the truck. I thought Michelle was going to hyperventilate with impatience until I got Fafhrd pulled over. This falls was called Glen Moss…

DSCN0242.jpg

Wife’s curiosity and waterfall addiction slated we continued north. The rain finally came to an end and the sun came out of hiding. Than we reached the destination in Waterbury that my daughter brought us all the way up here to see. Some damn hippy ice cream place. It was a zoo; I swear it was worse than when we were at Disney a few years back. People were everywhere, running back and forth and wandering about like a horde of merchandize-able zombies. Oh dear Lord there’s more Jersey people here…Good God, what did my daughter bring me to? So here I am in a sea of fanboys (and girls) to take a tour of a place that sells ice cream that’s way overpriced. And worse, this place stinks of the worst kind of hippies…corporate hippies. I had hoped it was an easy in and out…but no…you had to buy tickets and the earliest we could get was a two hour wait. So we went back to the truck and listened to some power metal and some bagpipes; the only natural hippy repellant I know off other than hard work. Remembering the rule…”To be truly happy you have to willing to give up some of your own bliss.” I try and focus on the rest of the trip. Uggghhh…why must I be so wise?

So we piddle around, watch people stand in an hour and a half line to buy overpriced ice cream cones and I try not to grumble and bring down my Daughter’s excitement. And she’s truly enjoying herself. I ask her just what the draw is. She thinks hard and says that she’s not sure but ever since she saw the tour on some show on the Travel channel she had wanted to come. She's genuinely happy and enjoying herself. Happy enough I get a hug and a thank you kiss on the cheek. Now it’s all worth it.

IMGP0307.jpg

We tour the factory (it just for show with just two lines to produce ice cream for the tourists; the real factory is a subterranean megalopolis some miles north and has hordes of dirty orphans churning out ice cream in a horrific conditions under the watchful eyes of whip yielding trolls in Grateful Dead shirts); watch a propaganda film made by the true power behind this “quaint hippy ice cream” (Unilever Corp); and listen to some lame tour guide jokes. OK this last paragraph is probably not true but it makes for a better tale. Well the lame jokes part is definitely true but what do you expect…it’s a corporate tour.

We did get to sample a small scoop of ice cream, Carmel Chocolate Chunk I believe, and it was good. Not as good of ice cream as that made by our local dairy Perrys but the hippy brand does cost twice as much so there’s that. Ok enough of my grumbling…here we go back on the road.

We haven’t really spent much time in Vermont, in the past it was a pass through on our way to northern Maine. Not really knowing the area when we reserved a campsite we just went by the seat of our pants. The nice thing about the Vermont State campground system is that they have a photo of every one of their campsites online so you get a pretty good idea of what your site is like. We picked a campground just west of Stowe, Vermont called Smugglers Notch. We chose this because of some photos the kids found and the fact that it was a small campground. As we approached Stowe the brake noise on the Tundra was getting bad. It went from a squeak to a full on screech…the pads were definitely down on their rivets.

We found the campsite which turned out to be a very nice site with secluded sites (25 of them I believe) clean showers and privies and a great view of the Notch. The Notch is a gap in the mountains that back during the French and Indian War the Vermonters used to smuggle goods into Quebec as the English forbade them not to. The site was quiet and almost serene. The various occupied sites were taken by Vermonters and Quebecois and once night settled you didn’t hear a peep. It was nice to say the least.

IMGP0311.jpg

We set up camp and I jacked up the truck to check out the brake situation. The pads were definitely toasted on the passenger front and the rotor was not much better. As it was late I decide to run into Stowe the following day and get the parts to fix the Tundra back up. We cooked supper, venison gyros and a fruit smorgasbord, play some Bid 500 and then hit the sack. Tomorrow might become a bear and could possibly end our trip, but we wouldn’t know until the sun rose in the morning…

Chapter 3: Garages, Rocks and Cricks

I woke up early the next morning and knew that there was a problem with the truck other than just bad pads. Before I left for this trip I had put new Blistien 5100s on the front and knew the front pads were around the forty percent mark as far as pad material was concerned. There had to be a reason the pads got ate up and sure enough after tearing into the passenger front again I found the caliper on that side to be froze up. I messed with it for a while put had no luck freeing up the pistons so it was going to have to be replaced. Michelle and I discussed what to do and decide it probably would be best to just find a local garage to R&R the caliper thus keeping me from getting frustrated with the situation and keeping the good vibes of the trip flowing. Once everybody was up and breakfasted we ran into Stowe to see if I could find a garage willing to get us in.

We pulled into Stowe and found a small garage, Stowe Auto Service, and talked to the guys in there about our situation. They were more the willing to help us and even pulled another vehicle off the rack to put Fafhrd right in. I told them that they might as well do both fronts with new pads and rotors (the rotors were still original with 108,000 miles) as well as the caliper on one side. They ordered the parts and we went to wander around the town to see if we could find anything interesting.

Unknown to me Stowe is a big ski resort town and caters to a high end crowd. The town folk were friendly and the girls had fun checking out the shops. Nobody bought anything other than some awesome maple taffy (that didn’t survive to long) and a couple souvenir shirts for the Minions. Allison bought me a Vermont sticker for our fridge too. We were passing along the local library when we noticed they were having a used book sale. Our family devours books so we had to check it out. We poke in the boxes and sorted through the tables and came away with about 20 differnet books. Allison was scooping up old editions of some of her favorite poets (Frost, Burns and the like), Cam founnd some historical fiction dealing with the French and Indian Wars, Michelle got some random novels and I BSed with the liberian. My Pennsylvania ridgerunner charm must have been set on full, cause she gave us half the books for free just to get them out of their basement store room.

Afterwards we walked down the town’s bike trail and found a bench to sit on. While here I helped put a lady’s chain back on her rental bike. Seeing my greasy hands after putting the chain back on the sprocket she was very apologetic for the mess, but a short walk down to the creek and a good rub down with the sand and gravel from the creekbed the grease came right off. She was surprised you could get clean with dirt; I told her it was a ridgerunner day spa trick. She laughed and offered to pay. “No thank you Mam, my mama tried to raise me right and helping a lady in need is a honor. Beside I could use some good Karma anyway.”...was my reply.

Than the phone rang…the truck was ready to be picked up. Done just two hours after we dropped it off, not bad considering they had to wait for the parts to come in. As we walked back over to the garage I prepared Michelle for the bill. I was expecting to pay a “tourist” tax for the quick attention but was pleasantly surprised to find a very reasonable bill. We shot the breeze with the shop’s owner and a couple of the mechanics as they really liked our truck. We even had to put the Maggie up for them so they could check it out. The feller that worked on my truck had a sweet International Scout he had resto-modded and we got a complete tour. With a few handshakes and good wishes we were back on the road once again.

Soon we were rolling up through the Notch on a narrow, twisting blacktop. Rocks jutted out into the roadway and on occasion we had to dodge kamikaze bicyclists.

DSC00529.jpg

The Notch narrows as you reach the top and the rocks close in tighter. Pulling off at the parking area we found ourselves in a narrow cleft between the mountains pressing in on either side. Above us a naked rock face rose up from the western rim and large boulders clustered at the base of the escarpment.

DSCN0269.jpg

Paths led off into the boulder scree and we went to poke around to see what we could find…

DSC00549.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

IMGP0322.jpg

IMGP0329.jpg

We scrambled around the rocks for quite a while until the belly rumbles started to kick in. A quick run back to camp and we were cooking up some grub, canned wild turkey over a bed of rice served witth some mango slices on the side. This night the air began to take on a chill so we got a fire cracking and spent the evening hanging out. You know despite the refugee camp, the rain and a broken truck we were all in high spirits. We all decided we were having a great trip.

DSC00536.jpg

Morning came in cold but clear with a sky of deep blue. Loaded back in the truck we headed back towards the Notch. Today we decided to do some hiking and the first trail that caught our attention was called Hells Brook Trail. It started off running along a small crick and began to climb up the sides of the Notch. Waterfalls were prevalent…

DSCN0249.jpg

DSCN0251.jpg

IMGP0335.jpg

The trail started of steep and became steeper with each passing yard…

IMGP0340.jpg

IMGP0344.jpg

IMGP0347.jpg

IMGP0348.jpg

Eventually we came along the trail to a large flat faced stone about five and half foot high with water running down its surface. Allison took one look and said “Far enough” and we headed back down the trail. Moving up the road a ways we started up another trail that led up the opposite side of the Notch. This trail was one of looping switchbacks that wound through the hillside forests. From this trail you could get a better view of the rock outcroppings at the Notch’s summit.

IMGP0330.jpg

IMGP0352.jpg

IMGP0353.jpg

We wandered in the woods for the rest of the day until it was time to head back to camp. The evening passed by with another game of Bid 500 and a lot of good natured joking around. The next day found us wondering the area a bit; my daughter “needed” a tie-dyed Vermont shirt. Once that was done we found an interesting dirt road and rambled down it just to see where it went. We came upon a parking area on a parcel of private land that was open to hiking and mountain biking. Trail heads broke off in several different directions, but what got our attention was the granite strewn creek that flowed down the holler. Vermont has some of the nicest water courses anywhere and there was more than once when I wished I had brought a pole and got a temporary fishing license. We decide to forgo the trails and instead starting jumping from rock to rock as we made our way up the crick.

IMGP0369.jpg

IMGP0356.jpg

IMGP0364.jpg

IMGP0367.jpg

IMGP0371.jpg

After the creeking Can wanted to go clamber on the rocks of the Notch again so back up the winding road we went…

IMGP0374.jpg

IMGP0375.jpg

IMGP0378.jpg

Rock urges satisfied we headed back to camp for our last night of our trip. We built another fire to chase away the chills and reminisced about all we have done on this trip and family trips of yore. Smiles came aplenty and everyone has a look of contentment. Ahhh…good times, good times.

IMGP0386-001.jpg

The next morning we broke down camp, loaded up Fafhrd and set our sights to the south and west where home and hearth awaited. The drive was uneventful but long and we were all glad to roll out of the truck and into a welcoming home. So the Minions did well in their adventure planning, but they are seasoned adventures with many wanderings under their belts so Michelle and I expected nothing but good results. We all had a great trip with something for everyone and we made many memories to share over the coming years. It might be a few years before we have another family trip like this as Allison starts college in a few days, but hopefully we’ll do some running as the Clan in the days to come. Thanks for following along!

Last edited:
All very nice Mark but I was hoping you'd go into a little more detail about your visit to the ice cream plant... what flavor did you get and the rest of the family?

I bet it was amazing!

Back
Top Bottom