New Portable Folding Boat

Foldingboatco

Adventurist
20160312_125819.jpg
Nearly 40 years ago, after finishing a hitch with the USN, I traded my Yamaha 750 in for a Moto Guzzi 850-T and started motorcycle camping in earnest. I never made it very far out west but had many memorable trips through Appalachia and up into the Catskills. Almost all of my chosen camping spots involved water, mostly streams, but lakes too. I had some pretty good gear but still no way to get on the water. For almost 3 years the Guzzi was my sole source of transportation. After 7 years, and my son’s birth, I traded in the bike and my old beat up Porsche for a station wagon.

Since then and over the last 25 years I’ve had the good fortune to be able to play, camp, explore, and fish in Alaska, Wyoming, and a few other beautiful wilderness areas. Most trips to Alaska involve bareboat chartering 32’ – 42’ Nordic Tugs. I do this in Southeast Alaska where there are no roads to get from one place to another, only boats and airplanes. Usually we live aboard for 8 or more days exploring some of the millions of hidden beautiful harbors and bays. The one thing that seemed to be missing, either on a highland lake in the Bridger Tetons or a swift salmon packed stream in Alaska, was a small portable boat. So, Ralph Hoehn and I invented and patented a 21 pound, skin-on-frame, folding boat that assembles in less than 5 minutes, the K-Pak.
IMG_4837.JPG

These boats have been tested everywhere, over the last 5-6 years, from Alaska to Ocracoke, on still and moving water. We now have two other boats on the drawing board. The K-Pak comes in its own backpack that measures 37” x 18” x 7”, so we can check it when traveling on planes, buses, or trains. It fits in the trunk of a small car, on the back of a BMW, or even the rear seat of a small airplane. We have backpacked the boats up to highland lakes to fish for trout and launched them from the fantail to fish for halibut and salmon.

20160312_130957 (1).jpg

Assembled, the boat is just over 9’ long and has a 30” beam, making it very stable and versatile but it still paddles well. The boats are very comfortable and have are used for fishing, hunting, nature photography, and exploring hard to reach places. We take them everywhere.

IMG_3723.JPG

I recently purchased a Toyota Tacoma and a roof top tent. Plenty of room for a few boats and all my new gear. I’m excited to be spending more time in out of the way places. I hope to see some of you along the way and would be happy to have you test paddle a K-Pak. The boats retail for $895 but I’d be very willing to offer them for $750 to help get the word out. Google foldingboatco or www.foldingboatco.com for more info.

Last edited:
Cool product. Did you read the forum rules about selling stuff here?

Hi Dave, I did and selling boats via this forum is certainly not the reason I asked to join. I'm planning several trips and could use some feedback and advice. I can remove the offer if you'd like. Or the entire thread. Just let me know.

Hi Dave, I did and selling boats via this forum is certainly not the reason I asked to join. I'm planning several trips and could use some feedback and advice. I can remove the offer if you'd like. Or the entire thread. Just let me know.

No need to remove the offer but please familiarize yourself with our rules and shoot me a PM so I can ensure that we're on the same page. :)

Folbot made beautiful skin on frame folding kayaks. I wish I owned one. Just a few weeks ago they went out of business. There are a few others, Feathercraft, Pakboats, and Klepper that also manufacture really nice skin on frame kayaks. They can be quite a bit heavier and may involve considerable assembly effort. The K-Pak is on the very lightest end of the scales at 21 pounds and our assembly time is 5 minutes or less. We really don't compete in the kayak market. As a matter of fact I have been collaborating with Alv at Pakboats for many years. Our boat is slower but we like to think much more versatile. It was designed to pack into hard to reach places for fishing, hunting, and exploring.

Folboat's more recent designs were aluminum frames you could disassemble covered in a nylon fabric which when all broken down could be placed in a suitcase sized bag which one could take or ship to various locations without taking up all the room a common kayak would require. The one I owned was much older made with a fixed marine grade plywood frame wrapped in Naugahyde. I'm sad to hear they went out of business. Neat boats they were.

Back
Top Bottom