Need help deciding on new daily driver for the wife.

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
My wife currently has a 2008 Ford Edge with about 115,000 miles on it. It's been a great car with no issues and it's in great shape. We can probably get 15k to 16k for it maybe by selling private party.

We need a new vehicle with a third row of seats. Because we have 2 boys 3 and 5 years old. Also my mom likes to ride along with us to my sisters, aunts wherever. Problem is we don't all fit in the edge. So that's where the 3 rows come in. Since my mom is an occasional thing we would use the 2 rows of seats mostly. Parameters are this, 3 rows of seats, price range within 2-4k (prefer 2-3k) more than what we can get for the edge. My wife is a stay home mom so she drives but not daily and not all over hell and back but it has got to be reliable. I was thinking 4runner or Land Cruiser, she likes the Sequoias. I am up for any other recommendations.

As for the land cruisers, sequoias and 4 runners I am assuming that 100k-120k miles is a non issue on their engines. I would love to hear personal experiences of downfalls positives etc. I am trying to make a very informed decision here.

Brett C.
IronworksTactical.com - owner

For what you're describing the land cruisers might be perfect. Have her drive a nicely equipped 100 series and she might forget about the gas mileage.

The gas mileage is similar between what she has now and the mpg on the toyotas. Those edges only get like 17 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the Land Cruiser suggestion. I've been driving SpongeX's 62 to and from work, and it fits our daughter's car seat so much better than my Xterra. Those 100 series cruisers are nice enough that I've contemplated making one my next vehicle.

Land Cruisers usually fetch Land Cruiser prices, YMMV. The 100 series is a great machine but is known for front third member failures in the rocks. Again, YMMV.

The Sequoias are under-rated IMO and you may find a better deal on one. Solid platform based on the Gen 1 Tundra, and sized better for the human cargo you want to carry.

4Runners of all gens are great, not so sure about availability of 3rd row seating on all models in your price range. the smallest interior of the 3 choices here unless you pony up for the latest gen.

Assuming you want 4WD, and for a DD "mom's rig", I think the Sequoias are hard to beat due to size and amenities.

Good selection in that category, but nothing with decent fuel economy other than a minivan. Chevy Tahoe or Suburban, Ford Expedition, Dodge Durango.

I have owned several Chevy trucks, including a Tahoe. It was a great truck for me, and it's got a Vortec engine that's made from real tornadoes ('Murica). IMO, the Chevy trucks don't wheel well compared to the Yotas, but in terms of comfort and power, they are great. Fuel economy around 17 hwy, 14 in town.

Expeditions fall into the same category, except 4 wheel independent suspension, which means better street handling but not much more than a soft roader.

Dodge Durangos also have similar specs, but are cheaper to get into. IMO, you get less truck (not Dodge's finest work).

Good selection in that category, but nothing with decent fuel economy other than a minivan. Chevy Tahoe or Suburban, Ford Expedition, Dodge Durango.

I have owned several Chevy trucks, including a Tahoe. It was a great truck for me, and it's got a Vortec engine that's made from real tornadoes ('Murica). IMO, the Chevy trucks don't wheel well compared to the Yotas, but in terms of comfort and power, they are great. Fuel economy around 17 hwy, 14 in town.

Expeditions fall into the same category, except 4 wheel independent suspension, which means better street handling but not much more than a soft roader.

Dodge Durangos also have similar specs, but are cheaper to get into. IMO, you get less truck (not Dodge's finest work).

I've had many a Chevy truck and while I agree on all of it I don't agree with the mileage. None of my Tahoe based framed vehicles have ever got more than 12-13mpg. My aunts new Tahoe included.

Land Cruisers usually fetch Land Cruiser prices, YMMV. The 100 series is a great machine but is known for front third member failures in the rocks. Again, YMMV.

The Sequoias are under-rated IMO and you may find a better deal on one. Solid platform based on the Gen 1 Tundra, and sized better for the human cargo you want to carry.

4Runners of all gens are great, not so sure about availability of 3rd row seating on all models in your price range. the smallest interior of the 3 choices here unless you pony up for the latest gen.

Assuming you want 4WD, and for a DD "mom's rig", I think the Sequoias are hard to beat due to size and amenities.

This is very inline with what I'm finding. She likes the sequoias a lot too.

Grandmas flip me off for driving slow. YMMV. :-

My wife has a heavy foot and I dont think she ever did much better than 15 hwy.

My wife thinks she's Mario Andretti

Unless you have to have 4WD, a 100 series would be overkill and a Sequoia better in 2WD mileage wise wouldn't it? There was a cherry 100 series FS in Huntington Beach I checked out for a fellow IH8MUD'er a few weeks ago. He passed for a 200 series! Seller wasn't bending on price. 4runner doesn't give you the 3rd row seats does it? She doesn't sound like the mini-van type!

Unless you have to have 4WD, a 100 series would be overkill and a Sequoia better in 2WD mileage wise wouldn't it? There was a cherry 100 series FS in Huntington Beach I checked out for a fellow IH8MUD'er a few weeks ago. He passed for a 200 series! Seller wasn't bending on price. 4runner doesn't give you the 3rd row seats does it? She doesn't sound like the mini-van type!

Not sure if the mileage would be affected much because of size and the v8 engine but it would definitely be less maintenance and probably cheaper to maintain. I honestly can see no reason she needs 4wd since we have the Tacoma for all that. The 4runners do have a 3rd row available but the more I research it the more I realize they are just entirely to small.

From your avatar it appears you have a vehicle suitable for towing/heavy loads, etc. Any chance she'd drive a minivan? There is a lot of price competition and thus value in that market. We looked hard at a toyota minvan with AWD. It got decent milage too. Having 2 full size v8 vehicles adds up over time. Might be a tough sell with the wife?

my wife drives a 03 expedition. currently has almost 190k on a stock engine and is still running great. she gets about 15mpg. my only complaint is that with the 3rd row up you have very little room in the back for cargo. IMO if you dont need it for wheeling a mini van is probably a better fit. if you want it for more expo use then try looking into a larger vehicle like a suburban or excursion.

I'm going to have to revisit this mini van idea. We rented a dodge minivan for a road trip once. I couldn't get her out from behind the wheel lmao. She swore prior to that no way would she ever drive a mini van.

I'm going to have to revisit this mini van idea. We rented a dodge minivan for a road trip once. I couldn't get her out from behind the wheel lmao. She swore prior to that no way would she ever drive a mini van.

Don't go with Dodge. I bought a brand new Grand Caravan SXT with all the bells and whistles ( including the DVD player and wireless headsets), and that van had CONSTANT electrical issues. Sometimes the lift gate would open and close on it's own, sometimes if I'd signal left the blinker would signal right, then left, then right, and a lot of other weird gremlins. Unfortunately, the dealer would continually tell me they couldn't find anything wrong with it and I'd be stuck until the damn thing would start acting up again. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks wasn't planning on it. Was just being overly specific what we rented.

Brett C.
IronworksTactical.com - owner

Not sure if you'd made your decision yet, but I'll share my thoughts. Our kids are roughly the same age and we had a similarly sized SUV to the Edge. When the 3rd child came we knew we needed something larger. I had my heart set on a 2005-2007 100 series. Then my dad mentioned the dreaded minivan and I told him no way but I would spec them out. We looked at everything and it came down to 3 choices the Honda, the Mazda and the Toyota. I thought the Honda was too much money for what you got and there was no AWD and I've never been a fan of the Mazda. So the sienna is what I started really looking at. I found a low mileage, 1 year old XLE AWD in Portland made the deal and it was a great decision. Love that vehcile, it makes kid/family hauling easy.

Gas mileage, most of the time it's between 18-19 mpg. It has been as low as 17 with lots of stop and go and as best as 23 on the way to Colorado where the speeds were 75 or less.

Last edited:
We have a 2001 sequoia. No real issues with it. Fits all of us real comfortable and it has been all over the mountain states (Wy, Id, Mt, Co). We bought it with 115,000 and brought it up yo over 130,000, wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Does great on forest service roads and the like.

Back
Top Bottom