Let's See Your Camp Breakfast- Recipes and Techniques

Mojoe Outfitters

Adventurist
The Camp Breakfast! Even if you don't normally eat breakfast, it seems that cooking and enjoying a hearty breakfast in the outback is a must. Most of us have one or two traditional breakfasts that we look forward to creating on the trail but sometimes we get stuck in a rut (pun intended!) Post up your camping breakfast specialties: recipes, techniques, pictures and videos. I need some new ideas to try.

Three weeks ago, my friend from Seattle flew down for our annual Spring desert trip with his two boys. We decided to go out to the Marl Springs/Cinder Cone area of the Mojave Road. We camped the first night near Marl Springs and made our long-time favorite camp breakfast in the morning: Chorizo and egg soft tacos with pascilla peppers and onions on the Mojoe Griddle. We used a Camp Chef stove this time, rather than the campfire as a heat source.

We took a fun video of the cook. Here it is:

[video=youtube;GQdjGxjIe-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdjGxjIe-c[/video]

You can see more camp cooking videos on my YouTube Channel at: www.youtube.com/mojoeoutfitters

or at my website: www.mojoeoutfitters.com

OK everyone, let's see what you got!

Cam

That sound really good! We tried something new last week. Angus hamburger topped with provolone, mayo and scrambled eggs on a dusted roll. Tasty and easy!

That sound really good! We tried something new last week. Angus hamburger topped with provolone, mayo and scrambled eggs on a dusted roll. Tasty and easy!

You're welcome...I'm still waiting for my residual check for my work as Breakfast Consultant.

A buddy of mine told me about a special breakfast one of his rover group made. Called the bacon explosion, it consisted of a layer of bacon covered by a layer of sausage covered by a layer of bacon covered by a layer of sausage covered by a layer of bacon cooked in a Dutch oven. I have not tried to replicate this but it's on my list :)

I think with some garlic, onions and potatoes added in it would be an outstanding breakfast. Or a coronary...

Side strap bacon, and fried egg sammich.... and of course, coffee!
20140322_085404.jpg
20140322_084441.jpg
20140322_085733.jpg

My favorite camping breakfast begins a tad before daylight with a trip to the water and catching a few catfish. after catching the catfish, rebirth the campfire from the night before, clean the catfish, wrap in foil with liberal amount of butter, lemon, salt and pepper. Tightly wrap the fish and place on the fire. Then scramble a few eggs, add some salt, pepper and shredded cheese. In cast iron skillet pour the eggs and continually stir as the cook. Turn the catfish. Once the catfish flakes, its done.

Catfish and scrambled eggs ! Yummy !

Augie, that sounds awesome! Catfish and eggs- yowza!

Here's a picture of a backpacking breakfast I had up in the High Sierra recently:

Trout in the pan.jpg

Here's where those trout came from:

Peter Pande Lake.jpg

Cam

Hijack on: Cam do you have anything planned for Overland Expo? We should talk...

Hijack on: Cam do you have anything planned for Overland Expo? We should talk...

Hi Dave:

Yes, I will have a booth at the OEX if that's what you mean. I'll be handing out lot's of free food as I will be cooking on the Mojoe Griddle all day long. Jerry (Tembo Tusk) and I will be combining forces during the Sunday morning Breakfast Walkabout so I will set up a cooking station at his booth for that morning. I will also be cooking the "World's Fourth Largest Pancake" on both Saturday and Sunday mornings at 9:00 am.

That's all I got. What do you have in mind???

Cam

- - - Updated - - -

Aww come on Cam, 5 brookies cooking in a coffee can lid? where's yo MO-JO?

Good to hear from you Ralph! That lake was a ten mile hike in over a high pass with no trail. I might have been too tired to cook if I carried in the Mojoe!

Look forward to seeing you at the Expo.

Cam

Hey Augie:

I just read your story. Awesome! In all my years of backpacking, that has never happened to me but I always thought it was possible! Thanks for giving me hope.

I'll take boobs over trout any day!

Cam

Yep, I've seen some pretty sool stuff out hiking and wandering around in the woods, but never thought I would find such a fine sight. It's days like that, that keep one going back out in search.

Yep, I've seen some pretty sool stuff out hiking and wandering around in the woods, but never thought I would find such a fine sight. It's days like that, that keep one going back out in search.

Yeah, I hear you. I've seen many string bikinis on the trail and that has always given me hope that one day......

Cam

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Yeah! This is supposed to be about breakfast damn it!

Yeah, I hear you. I've seen many string bikinis on the trail and that has always given me hope that one day......

Cam

That what? One day you'l look over and your assistant will be cooking topless, sweat glistening on their bodies… RUN KRIS RUN!!! b4 it's to late Some how the visual of this was too much not to comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Yeah! This is supposed to be about breakfast damn it!

Burning the midnight oil so I can get away next week to Overland. Don't know if it was such a good idea to link to work from home though. actually I was dreaming about a 36" round pancake and how many packages of blueberries I would need for it 2 or 3

Back
Top Bottom