Ignik Propane Growler...Safe??

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
So I have a question about Propane bottles in Passenger space....is it kosher? I really hate putting crap on the outside of my truck and have small propane tanks (Manchester style) that I've used over the years but have always stored them outside (roof rack, etc.). This company is marketing their growler system and being stored in the back your rig. I really like the carrying case they have and am thinking of getting one but wanted to hear from the collective on the safety aspect.

https://ignik.com/collections/propane-heating/products/gas-growler-deluxe

The carrying case will not prevent or mitigate the danger of a propane leak in the passenger section of the vehicle. It doesn't address your main concern.

You can buy the heavy duty plastic trim they used on the cylinder here and from a lot of other places.

Here's a good deal on a Worthington steel 5lb tank.

Last US Bag sells mesh buckets. The larger bag in the set (10.7" diameter) will fit over a 5lb propane tank (9.1" diameter). The bags are pretty useful. I've used them to hang wet shoes up to dry. Coil up and carry cables, hoses, and rope. I roll up a mesh ground tarp and carry it in the large mesh bucket.

The DOT specifications they mention are below. They cover gas cylinder construction and any reputable manufacturer for RV propane tanks (like Worthington) will be DOT compliant.

Yeah I actually already have tanks, the questions was really around the safety of carrying propane in an enclosed area and this company marketing as such.

Their carrying case is more of a way to protect other items from damage. I 110% get that it won't contain the gas.....hell that for sure would be a bomb waiting to go off...lol.

Yeah I actually already have tanks, the questions was really around the safety of carrying propane in an enclosed area and this company marketing as such.

Their carrying case is more of a way to protect other items from damage. I 110% get that it won't contain the gas.....hell that for sure would be a bomb waiting to go off...lol.

From what I've read. DOT allows up to 90lbs of propane to be transported inside an enclosed space like a passenger compartment.
  • No more than 4 LP gas cylinders in the enclosed space of a vehicle. Passenger compartment and trunk
  • No single LP gas cylinder should have a capacity of more than 45 lbs.
  • The total combined weight of all LP gas cylinders in an enclosed vehicle should not exceed 90 lbs.
  • All LP gas cylinders must be secured vertically.
This won't cover everywhere though. On the Chesapeake Bay Bridge you are allowed no more than 2 non-permanently mounted containers having maximum individual 45lbs LP gas each, or one container having maximum capacity of 60 lbs LP-Gas. "permanently mounted" refers to something like the fuel tanks of LP gas powered vehicles. Effectively limiting you to 2 LP cylinders.

I'm looking to get a cap for my 6lb cylinder. If the valve fails or isn't closed all the way the cap will act as a backup. During the search found this 5-10lb LB Tank backpack along with other cases. Since you have a cylinder already just find yourself a case (and a cap).

I am still alive.
Inkedpropane growler_LI.jpg

For what its worth, in my old-ass beaters I don't worry too much about having propane inside the passenger compartment. The real danger with propane is that it is heavier than air and will sink to the bottom of a sealed compartment. On an older car especially there are enough leaks that I'm not too worried about gas accumulating.
In a boat it ends up being a completely different beast. Basically all boats that carry propane have a deck-mounted gas locker with a permanently plumbed drain to take any leaked propane safely overboard. Boats that end up having internal propane leaks have a distressing tendency to explode as the gas collects in the bilges and at some point it reaches the right mixture and boom!

I DID have one of the disposable 1LB canisters start leaking inside my Vanagon one time. I actually heard it hissing and was able to safely remove it. I will admit to not having it super-well secured at the time though. It was in a cubby in the very back of the van but it still had some room to move around.

Back
Top Bottom